All Things Mitt - Page 3 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:40 PM   #51
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeTheSwitch View Post
Actually, even some of the Republicans want to see Romney's tax returns. I laugh every time Romney says the public is not interested in them. In his dreams. He WISHES that people were not interested in what he is hiding, but just as with any other job interview, the interviewer(s) do in fact care about what the applicant may be hiding.
It's got to be bad, whatever is in there, lol.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:54 PM   #52
vega07
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Actually, even some of the Republicans want to see Romney's tax returns. I laugh every time Romney says the public is not interested in them. In his dreams. He WISHES that people were not interested in what he is hiding, but just as with any other job interview, the interviewer(s) do in fact care about what the applicant may be hiding.
Romney and Co. insists everyday that his tax returns are a non-issue, and redirects the people to his website for his two tax returns.

1. His 2010 file isn't even complete, so really he hasn't released ANY complete tax return.
2. It's further proof he and his team live in an alternate universe when the majority of Americans do want to see them. I personally wouldn't care to see anymore if there is no history of his loopholes and many offshore accounts. But the fact of the matter is that he does have the history and people are talking everyday about it.

This fiasco will be his undoing. If I were Obama, I'd use this against him all the way until November.
vega07 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:47 PM   #53
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
I'm not familiar enough with Medicare, but how much of a senior citizen's medical bills are currently paid out of pocket?
I believe they only pay out of pocket for out patient drug prescriptions. The doughnut hole. Obamacare gives seniors a 50% discount on drugs in the donut hole. The discount increases over years.
Coleman2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:22 AM   #54
mcrain
Banned

The GOP spent millions investigating what were completely legal real estate deals down in Arkansas. I say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. We need to open congressional investigations into the Bain offshore accounts and anyone who holds them to ensure that the American public isn't being cheated of tax dollars it is owed. We should earmark somewhere between 20 and 50 million dollars to investigate these potentially illegal activities.
mcrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:08 AM   #55
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
Romney and Co. insists everyday that his tax returns are a non-issue, and redirects the people to his website for his two tax returns.

1. His 2010 file isn't even complete, so really he hasn't released ANY complete tax return.
2. It's further proof he and his team live in an alternate universe when the majority of Americans do want to see them. I personally wouldn't care to see anymore if there is no history of his loopholes and many offshore accounts. But the fact of the matter is that he does have the history and people are talking everyday about it.

This fiasco will be his undoing. If I were Obama, I'd use this against him all the way until November.
Exactly. And now we learn that his 2011 taxes won't even be posted until mid October barely a few weeks before the election. Taxes are due in April. And yes, you can get extensions, but why does a man with his wealth and resources need one? Even his tax records should not be so complicated that they can not be assembled by a team of his accountants in four months time. And yet, his is not.

If you listen to his words, it is all about doing the bare minimum: He's done what is "legally required", to what he said even back in the GOP debates, "I pay all the taxes owed. And not a penny more". Even his wife's remarks point out this issue: "We have been transparent to what’s legally required of us". In other words, if it was not required you peasants wouldn't see anything at all!!!! We have to be forced to do things, rather then just do the right thing to begin with.

There have been issues with his tax returns in the past when he was running for other political office (something the Obama campaign should be hammering him on). So based on that, and based on his reluctance to show anything more then the bare minimum, it's clear that what is in them is more damaging then the heat he takes for not showing them at all.

Between that, his crazy choice for VP, his enormous amount of flip flops, and the way the GOP is trying to steal the election in battleground states, how could you ever trust this man (or his party) to run anything now? I sure can't. And I won't.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:55 AM   #56
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
The GOP spent millions investigating what were completely legal real estate deals down in Arkansas. I say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. We need to open congressional investigations into the Bain offshore accounts and anyone who holds them to ensure that the American public isn't being cheated of tax dollars it is owed. We should earmark somewhere between 20 and 50 million dollars to investigate these potentially illegal activities.
The GOP is eager to waste millions of tax payer dollars if they think they might unearth some political advantage/scandal. Am I naive to think Dems are better than this?

Quote:
Between that, his crazy choice for VP, his enormous amount of flip flops, and the way the GOP is trying to steal the election in battleground states, how could you ever trust this man (or his party) to run anything now? I sure can't. And I won't.
Remember the motto "get out the vote!" Personally I see the number one issue are GOP efforts to suppress the vote. It utterly disgusts me and I don't understand why there is not a political firestorm regarding this issue. The Dems should be hammering on this every day.
Huntn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:46 PM   #57
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Romney Girl

Came across this video and thought it was funny and frames the situation with Mitt pretty well:

MadeTheSwitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:12 PM   #58
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

So, Mitt, what do you really believe?

Quote:
WHEN Mitt Romney was governor of liberal Massachusetts, he supported abortion, gun control, tackling climate change and a requirement that everyone should buy health insurance, backed up with generous subsidies for those who could not afford it. Now, as he prepares to fly to Tampa to accept the Republican Party’s nomination for president on August 30th, he opposes all those things. A year ago he favoured keeping income taxes at their current levels; now he wants to slash them for everybody, with the rate falling from 35% to 28% for the richest Americans.

All politicians flip-flop from time to time; but Mr Romney could win an Olympic medal in it (see article). And that is a pity, because this newspaper finds much to like in the history of this uncharismatic but dogged man, from his obvious business acumen to the way he worked across the political aisle as governor to get health reform passed and the state budget deficit down. We share many of his views about the excessive growth of regulation and of the state in general in America, and the effect that this has on investment, productivity and growth. After four years of soaring oratory and intermittent reforms, why not bring in a more businesslike figure who might start fixing the problems with America’s finances?

Quote:
Mr Romney may calculate that it is best to keep quiet: the faltering economy will drive voters towards him. It is more likely, however, that his evasiveness will erode his main competitive advantage. A businessman without a credible plan to fix a problem stops being a credible businessman. So does a businessman who tells you one thing at breakfast and the opposite at supper. Indeed, all this underlines the main doubt: nobody knows who this strange man really is. It is half a decade since he ran something. Why won’t he talk about his business career openly? Why has he been so reluctant to disclose his tax returns? How can a leader change tack so often? Where does he really want to take the world’s most powerful country?

It is not too late for Mr Romney to show America’s voters that he is a man who can lead his party rather than be led by it. But he has a lot of questions to answer in Tampa.
rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:49 PM   #59
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Quote:
WHEN Mitt Romney was governor of liberal Massachusetts, he supported abortion, gun control, tackling climate change and a requirement that everyone should buy health insurance, backed up with generous subsidies for those who could not afford it. Now, as he prepares to fly to Tampa to accept the Republican Party’s nomination for president on August 30th, he opposes all those things. A year ago he favoured keeping income taxes at their current levels; now he wants to slash them for everybody, with the rate falling from 35% to 28% for the richest Americans.
Great link! I am constantly befuddled when these facts can be overlook by conservatives, obvious inconsistencies in moral fortitude and they can vote for a person with no consistent moral values. He is a political chameleon who will become whatever you want him to be if he believes you can get him elected to a position of leadership. More than it degrades Romney, it degrades the Conservative brand who will vote for a shadow who manages to say the right things today to get rid of a perceived liberal, who is really not that liberal, but he is black... The terrible fiscal mess we face today- why were the conservatives not screaming their heads off during the previous administration's 8 years?
Huntn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:01 AM   #60
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Gotta give Crist credit for some brass balls.

Former Gov. Charlie Crist: Here's why I'm backing Barack Obama

Quote:
I’ve studied, admired and gotten to know a lot of leaders in my life. Across Florida, in Washington and around the country, I've watched the failure of those who favor extreme rhetoric over sensible compromise, and I've seen how those who never lose sight of solutions sow the greatest successes.

As America prepares to pick our president for the next four years — and as Florida prepares once again to play a decisive role — I'm confident that President Barack Obama is the right leader for our state and the nation. I applaud and share his vision of a future built by a strong and confident middle class in an economy that gives us the opportunity to reap prosperity through hard work and personal responsibility. It is a vision of the future proven right by our history.

We often remind ourselves to learn the lessons of the past, lest we risk repeating its mistakes. Yet nearly as often, our short-term memory fails us. Many have already forgotten how deep and daunting our shared crisis was in the winter of 2009, as President Obama was inaugurated. It was no ordinary challenge, and the president served as the nation's calm through a historically turbulent storm.

The president's response was swift, smart and farsighted. He kept his compass pointed due north and relentlessly focused on saving jobs, creating more and helping the many who felt trapped beneath the house of cards that had collapsed upon them.

He knew we had to get people back to work as quickly as possible — but he also knew that the value of a recovery lies in its durability. Short-term healing had to be paired with an economy that would stay healthy over the long run. And he knew that happens best by investing in the right places.

President Obama invested in our children's schools because he believes a good education is a necessity, not a luxury, if we're going to create an economy built to last. He supported more than 400,000 K-12 teachers' jobs, and he is making college more affordable and making student loans, like the ones he took out, easier to pay back.

He invested in our runways, railways and roads. President Obama knows a reliable infrastructure that helps move people to work and helps businesses move goods to market is a foundation of growth.

And the president invested in our retirement security by strengthening Medicare. The $716 billion in savings his opponents decry today extended the life of the program by nearly a decade and are making sure taxpayer dollars aren't wasted in excessive payments to insurance companies or fraud and abuse. His opponents would end the Medicare guarantee by creating a voucher that would raise seniors' costs by thousands of dollars and bankrupt the program.

We have more work to do, more investments to make and more waste to cut. But only one candidate in this race has proven a willingness to navigate a realistic path to prosperity.

As Republicans gather in Tampa to nominate Mitt Romney, Americans can expect to hear tales of how President Obama has failed to work with their party or turn the economy around.

But an element of their party has pitched so far to the extreme right on issues important to women, immigrants, seniors and students that they've proven incapable of governing for the people. Look no further than the inclusion of the Akin amendment in the Republican Party platform, which bans abortion, even for rape victims.

The truth is that the party has failed to demonstrate the kind of leadership or seriousness voters deserve.

Pundits looking to reduce something as big as a statewide election to a single photograph have blamed the result of my 2010 campaign for U.S. Senate on my greeting of President Obama. I didn't stand with our president because of what it could mean politically; I did it because uniting to recover from the worst financial crisis of our lifetimes was more important than party affiliation. I stood with our nation's leader because it was right for my state.

President Obama has a strong record of doing what is best for America and Florida, and he built it by spending more time worrying about what his decisions would mean for the people than for his political fortunes. That's what makes him the right leader for our times, and that's why I'm proud to stand with him today.

Charlie Crist is the former Republican governor of Florida and previously was elected as a state senator, education commissioner and attorney general. He currently is registered as no party affiliation. Crist wrote this column exclusively for the Tampa Bay Times.

rdowns is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:59 PM   #61
vega07
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Great article. He focused on what Obama has done, and did not resort to attacking Romney, which would be so tempting to do.

Finally a Republican who thinks.
vega07 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:04 PM   #62
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Great article. He focused on what Obama has done, and did not resort to attacking Romney, which would be so tempting to do.

Finally a Republican who thinks.

Well he no longer a Repulblican for more than one reason..

1. He thinks. That automatically makes it impossible to be a GOP member.

2. I believe he left the party because of how the GOP changed and went independent.
It still stings that a former GOP governor says FU to his former party.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:13 PM   #63
vega07
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Well he no longer a Repulblican for more than one reason..

1. He thinks. That automatically makes it impossible to be a GOP member.

2. I believe he left the party because of how the GOP changed and went independent.
It still stings that a former GOP governor says FU to his former party.
LOL, just did a quick Google search on him and he was one of the politicians featured in Outrage. But anyways, back to the discussion on Mitt.
vega07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:34 PM   #64
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Koch Brothers bought Ryans nomination with $100 million promise

So, apparently, says Roger Stone,

Veteran Republican political consultant, unrepentant dirty trickster, and recently reborn libertarian Roger Stone yesterday published a startling accusation against Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney on his personal website, The Stone Zone. According to Stone, the billionaire Koch brothers purchased the Republican vice presidential nomination for Ryan from Romney in late July by promising to fork over an additional $100 million toward “independent expenditure” campaigning for the GOP ticket.

FWIW because, tbqh, I cannot imagine the Kochs leaving any of the stops unpulled this year.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:18 PM   #65
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:

Holy smokes. Crist must one of those undesirables not fully committed to "the cause". Thanks for posting the link!
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:29 PM   #66
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Koch Brothers bought Ryans nomination with $100 million promise

So, apparently, says Roger Stone,

Veteran Republican political consultant, unrepentant dirty trickster, and recently reborn libertarian Roger Stone yesterday published a startling accusation against Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney on his personal website, The Stone Zone. According to Stone, the billionaire Koch brothers purchased the Republican vice presidential nomination for Ryan from Romney in late July by promising to fork over an additional $100 million toward “independent expenditure” campaigning for the GOP ticket.

FWIW because, tbqh, I cannot imagine the Kochs leaving any of the stops unpulled this year.
Oh man, now I really hope Obama wins -- just so I can see the Kochs' $100m swirling down the toilet.
Thomas Veil is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:06 PM   #67
Huntn
macrumors 604

Why is the Romney campaign insisting that the Obama Administration removed the work requirement from welfare? This appears to be a flat out lie. There is a theory floating around liberal corners that the Romney campaign is going to try to win the election by appealing to (prejudice) whites only.

Huffington Post: Mitt Romney Suggests Obama Welfare Waivers Are A Tactic To 'Shore Up His Base':

Quote:
In an interview with USA Today, Romney defended his much-criticized ads, which falsely accuse the president of removing the work requirement in welfare. He insisted that the spots were accurate and that Obama had pursued his policy as part of an electoral calculation.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:34 PM   #68
vega07
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Why is the Romney campaign insisting that the Obama Administration removed the work requirement from welfare? This appears to be a flat out lie. There is a theory floating around liberal corners that the Romney campaign is going to try to win the election by appealing to (prejudice) whites only.

Huffington Post: Mitt Romney Suggests Obama Welfare Waivers Are A Tactic To 'Shore Up His Base':
While I don't think his birther joke was inherently racist, this definitely came off as racist to me.

Another low for Romney. Jeez. Is this man really running for POTUS? Not to mention the majority of people on welfare are white and from the red states!

His entire quote:

Quote:
There's no question in mind that the president’s action in this regard was calculated to build support for him among people he wants to have excited about his reelection, just as so many of the things he’s done were designed to try to shore up his base.
vega07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:17 AM   #69
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Veil View Post
Oh man, now I really hope Obama wins -- just so I can see the Kochs' $100m swirling down the toilet.
If this is true people should being going to jail. That is illegal on so many levels. On top of that it breaks other laws about how those groups are not supposed to be directly connected with the party or candidates in the ads.

This just goes to show how much more election reform we need.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:18 AM   #70
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post

A theory? The Obama campaign has moved on. They know that around a quarter of the electorate is going to go Romney regardless:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...ote-win/56192/

But, the racist fraction is not going to get Romney to the 61% of the white vote he needs to win the election. Romney needs moderates to vote against Obama because unemployment is higher than the magic 5.6%:

http://www.colorado.edu/news/release...ado-study-says

Check out this eye-opening article in Politico:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories...1.html?hp=t2_3

Quote:

Neither campaign will admit this publicly, but they concede privately that the other side is right about their boss’ greatest weakness. Romney aides know their boss will never be loved, or perhaps even liked; Obama aides know voters feel their boss let them down on the economy, and have at best tepid faith he would do much better in the next four years.

One Republican who spends a lot of time with Romney said: “People don’t know Romney. He may be unknowable.”

There is a reason Obama keeps talking about his opponent’s wealth and unfamiliarity with the challenges of most Americans. It is the same reason Romney folks were concerned when one devastating phrase popped up in focus groups: “too rich for too long.”

Both see Obama’s likability ratings as his greatest advantage and strength.
Oh, and a tidbit for all the right-wingers nervous that the voters are going to punish them for all the Republican lies this year-- don't worry. Neither side think reporters, and voters, can pay attention to facts for very long:

Quote:
Both [campaigns] privately scoff at the media’s obsession with fact checking, arguing that reporters and voters can’t pay attention long enough to penalize a candidate for being full of it.
But, apparently, getting that 61% is going to be very tough. Plan B is reducing the number of other voters:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...lection/56245/
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:32 AM   #71
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
While I don't think his birther joke was inherently racist, this definitely came off as racist to me.

Another low for Romney. Jeez. Is this man really running for POTUS? Not to mention the majority of people on welfare are white and from the red states!

His entire quote:
I think he used it as a method of emphasizing he's a good ole home grown American and Obama may not be. IMO, he was using this joke to make points with the blindly patriotic, the continuous effort to paint Obama as an outsider. I should not of pasted "prejudice" in there although obviously, they are there and are all ready going to vote for Romney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
A theory? The Obama campaign has moved on. They know that around a quarter of the electorate is going to go Romney regardless:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...ote-win/56192/

But, the racist fraction is not going to get Romney to the 61% of the white vote he needs to win the election. Romney needs moderates to vote against Obama because unemployment is higher than the magic 5.6%:

http://www.colorado.edu/news/release...ado-study-says

Check out this eye-opening article in Politico:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories...1.html?hp=t2_3

Oh, and a tidbit for all the right-wingers nervous that the voters are going to punish them for all the Republican lies this year-- don't worry. Neither side think reporters, and voters, can pay attention to facts for very long:

But, apparently, getting that 61% is going to be very tough. Plan B is reducing the number of other voters:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...lection/56245/
Thanks for the links. Interesting reading! In my last post, I should of said, Romney was going to try to win by maximizing the white vote in his column and not caring about how many Blacks, Latinos, & women vote for him. According to what I've read, victory will be difficult to achieve based on this strategy. So if I put two and two together, it makes the voter suppression efforts across the country conducted by the GOP make sense. I am aghast there is no outcry in the defense of freedom and democracy coming from those who are supposed to champion it- Republicans. So what does that mean? As evidenced from the last 30 years, they believe the end justifies the means and are willing to sell their values to achieve victory.

Last edited by Huntn; Aug 28, 2012 at 06:49 AM.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:37 AM   #72
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000

In a CBS interview Ann and Mitt Romney claim they shop at Costco.

When they're at the checkout they debate to charge it to their Cayman Islands or Swiss Bank accounts.

They must think we're stupid if they expect us to believe that crap.
Coleman2010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:38 AM   #73
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman2010 View Post
In a CBS interview Ann and Mitt Romney claim they shop at Costco.

When they're at the checkout they debate to charge it to their Cayman Islands or Swiss Bank accounts.

They must think we're stupid if they expect us to believe that crap.
And thats what pisses me off most about him. I don't care that he is rich. Just don't pretend to be something you're not to win votes. First of all, I don't believe you but more importantly, what are you saying? That because u shop at cosco, you're just like me and know my problems? Dude, even if u did shop there, that doesn't mean you know what's its like for a poor person to do so or how to fix their problems. You're just a rich guy shopping.
Mac'nCheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:16 AM   #74
Coleman2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
And thats what pisses me off most about him. I don't care that he is rich. Just don't pretend to be something you're not to win votes. First of all, I don't believe you but more importantly, what are you saying? That because u shop at cosco, you're just like me and know my problems? Dude, even if u did shop there, that doesn't mean you know what's its like for a poor person to do so or how to fix their problems. You're just a rich guy shopping.
He is worth at least $230 million??? His servants may not even shop at Costco. They have no idea what the word authentic means.
Coleman2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:11 PM   #75
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
But, apparently, getting that 61% is going to be very tough.
No Presidential candidate has won with that large a percentage of whites since the 1970's. And the political landscape has changed a whole HELL of a lot since then. So he will have to be working a whole bunch of voter disenfranchise magic here.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues