Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:23 PM   #1
Jengo
macrumors newbie

Digital FM Transmitter

I just got my ipod and I will need to get a Digital FM Transmitter, there are so many out there. I read some reviews on the itrip and didnt like the fact about loosing the signal.
Is the one transmitter that any of you agree is the best over all?
Jengo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:40 PM   #2
zelmo
macrumors 603

Yes, a cassette adapter.
At least where I live/work, I can't get a consistently clean signal. I got tired of chasing the FM band around the Baltimore beltway, returned my iTrip, and got a cheap cassette adapter. A little hiss, but if you keep the iPod volume about 35-40% then use the car stereo controls to adjust, it's not so bad.
I know two other people who bought, then returned the iTrip for the same reasons, and no one who kept it.
Still, I'm thinking my birthday gift to me this year is getting a hardwire install in my truck for the iPod.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:41 AM   #3
Jengo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermac666
Still, I'm thinking my birthday gift to me this year is getting a hardwire install in my truck for the iPod.

How much does that run?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Jengo
macrumors newbie

I understand tape is the way to go, but I dont have a tape deck. That being the case which is the better transmitter out there?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:44 AM   #5
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengo
I understand tape is the way to go, but I dont have a tape deck. That being the case which is the better transmitter out there?
The Griffen iTrip is very nice. It just sucks if you are in or around a large city. There are too many FM stations and too much interference for it to be perfect (or as perfect as FM quality gets).
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Jengo
macrumors newbie

I read some post about the itrip losing its signal. Is this the case with all transmitters or just itrip?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:12 PM   #7
micvog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengo
If you are only going to use the transmitter in your car, then I would recommend you look into either the Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger or, if you are on a tight budget, the Newer Technology RoadTrip!+ (Plus) FM Transmitter. (The links go to reviews at iLounge.)

I have tried the iTrip (didn't work at all for me) and the PodFreq (worked better but still enough background noise that I wouldn't use it). I plan on trying the Kensington linked above next.
micvog is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod