Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jun 7, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
jigsb007
macrumors 6502

Question how to copy .ipa files from Desktop to ipad and install ?

Hello all,

is it possible to install .IPA files from a computer to ipad ? how ?

Reason : i have taken backup of my ipa files, and now my laptop HDD stop working...so now i either have to install itune to another computer or may be a new HDD.

But , since i have my IPA's can i install to my ipad ? i think we can copy those using ifile/ifunbox, but i am not sure where , and after coping it, how to install ?

please help
jigsb007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

If they are legitimate, legal IPA files, I believe you can simply drag and drop it into iTunes with your device connected, though I may be wrong.
Redjericho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 09:35 PM   #3
dukebound85
macrumors P6

We don't assist in piracy. Any apps legally bought will be readily availiable to redownload from iTunes.

In fact, you can view all purchased apps from your iOS device
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 09:44 PM   #4
xraytech
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsb007 View Post
Hello all,

is it possible to install .IPA files from a computer to ipad ? how ?

Reason : i have taken backup of my ipa files, and now my laptop HDD stop working...so now i either have to install itune to another computer or may be a new HDD.

But , since i have my IPA's can i install to my ipad ? i think we can copy those using ifile/ifunbox, but i am not sure where , and after coping it, how to install ?

please help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjericho View Post
If they are legitimate, legal IPA files, I believe you can simply drag and drop it into iTunes with your device connected, though I may be wrong.
First off, if the OP legitimately purchased these Apps. The OP can simply redownload them for free.

I think what the OP is saying is, he has the .ipa files on a external hard drive, would like to connect the hard drive via USB and use iFile to transfer.

From my limited JB experience, yes you can do this but all you'll end up with is just an .ipa file taking up space. You have to take another step that takes it in to the realm of Cracking Apps. If this is the case for the OP then this thread should end.
xraytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 09:49 PM   #5
Dima470
macrumors regular

You can SSH into your device and drag and drop anywhere in your iDevices root and run and install it in iFile. Remember to delete the .ipa after it is done because it takes extra space

I am against app pirating.

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 18, 2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Removed piracy remark
Dima470 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:24 PM   #6
PrayForDeath
macrumors 6502

The latest version of iFunBox has a nifty feature that lets you select IPAs on your computer, and then installs them for you on the iPad.

Sounds like its exactly what you're looking for.
PrayForDeath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:53 AM   #7
rob12770
macrumors member

i just double click them, they then just install via i tunes..
rob12770 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:46 AM   #8
PrayForDeath
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob12770 View Post
i just double click them, they then just install via i tunes..
If you double click them, they will just open in itunes. You'll have to sync your idevice to transfer them over.
PrayForDeath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Dav1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
We don't assist in piracy. Any apps legally bought will be readily availiable to redownload from iTunes.

Before we jump the gun and brand everyone a Pirate, a theif, could we be honest, here?

What is available is the current version of an app. For a number of reasons the current version might not be desirable. Some current versions of an app on the iPad only support one orientation, and that seems to be a growing trend, whereas older versions support both orientation. Other users might prefer an older OS build that can become no longer supported.

There are apps that I have bought, that have been removed and are no longer listed.

There are quite a number of reasons where one might be interested in an older app, if for no other reason than to confirm a behavior or belief. At one time iTunes kept older versions of app, now iTunes deletes them, without prompting.

One does not get real security, by intimidation, by obscuring knowledge, and attacking users.
Dav1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:45 PM   #10
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:

wow lol try thinking about all the possibilities here instead of going strait to d0uch3 mode.

maybe he doesnt have internet access currently and cant? |
maybe he wants the old versions?
maybe he purchased a tethering app its no longer available?
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:47 PM   #11
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
wow lol try thinking about all the possibilities here instead of going strait to d0uch3 mode.

maybe he doesnt have internet access currently and cant? |
maybe he wants the old versions?
maybe he purchased a tethering app its no longer available?
ha true ok. I just know from experience, questions like this are 99% for not legit reasons
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:03 PM   #12
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
ha true ok. I just know from experience, questions like this are 99% for not legit reasons
youre right on that friend
id be right with you on flaming him if he said something about piracy. hehe
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:40 PM   #13
RobesNo1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayForDeath View Post
See my post above. Latest version of iFunBox will install IPAs for you, no need for any other software.
Hence the line:
"although if iFunbox can install them now as has been said above, this is all unnecessary"

Just explaining the process if he was intent on installing from the iPad itself.
RobesNo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:31 PM   #14
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

I just tested it, if it is a non-cracked IPA file, you can drag and drop it onto your device and it will install, a cracked IPA file will fail the DRM check, and iTunes will throw out some security error, there's the answer to your question.
Redjericho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:08 PM   #15
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjericho View Post
I just tested it, if it is a non-cracked IPA file, you can drag and drop it onto your device and it will install, a cracked IPA file will fail the DRM check, and iTunes will throw out some security error, there's the answer to your question.
Note that only the Windows version is able to install IPA's. I haven't had any success with the Mac version - there, the progress meter just stalls showing the IPA is continuously being installed. (Tested with signed (non-cracked) IPA's only with both JB'n and non-JB'n iOS 5+ iDevices.)
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:34 PM   #16
thewright1
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to thewright1
I'm creating an app, and I'm trying to archive it for distribution so i can run tests on a few of my friends devices. I was able to export the .ipa file but I'm having a problem installing it onto their devices. When I double click the .ipa files, it installs it into my main devices apps but not onto the actual connected devices apps. Does that make sense? Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I tried using the steps from the development portal, but I'm still unable to install the app that way either. Anyone have any experience with adhoc distribution?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:00 PM   #17
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
really?
im in that 1%.
my wifi isnt working. i just downloaded a free game from itunes. was wondering how could i move it to my ipad...and google brought me here!
thasan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 09:45 PM   #18
stashio123
macrumors newbie

Iʻve got a legit reason for the same

Donʻt know about others, but I may be wanting to re-install an older version of a legit app - namely, Documents - which I have been using for "everything" on iPad. They no longer support iOS 5, and I donʻt want iOS 6 for a couple of reasons - Maps and Readdlewire, for starts.
So if I should ever upgrade Documents unintentionally, I would be BADLY out of luck. I have saved a copy of the .ipa from a recent backup, and may have to install it somehow. I donʻt know about iFunBox, Iʻm a little wary of jailbreak-oriented apps, and Iʻd be flying blind in any case.
The real problem, of course, is the hyper-anal developers of the iTunes app, but nothing I (or anybody else!) can say will change any of that, I fear.
So, you see, not all of us interested types are Pirates!
stashio123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:22 AM   #19
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

According to itunes the august 22 update of Readdle supports iOS 5

Besides that iOS 6 is better, Maps is a standalone google app and iFunbox is easy

Maybe updating is a better option afteralll...
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 8.0 GM
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:47 AM   #20
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashio123 View Post
Donʻt know about others, but I may be wanting to re-install an older version of a legit app - namely, Documents - which I have been using for "everything" on iPad. They no longer support iOS 5, and I donʻt want iOS 6 for a couple of reasons - Maps and Readdlewire, for starts.
So if I should ever upgrade Documents unintentionally, I would be BADLY out of luck. I have saved a copy of the .ipa from a recent backup, and may have to install it somehow. I donʻt know about iFunBox, Iʻm a little wary of jailbreak-oriented apps, and Iʻd be flying blind in any case.
The real problem, of course, is the hyper-anal developers of the iTunes app, but nothing I (or anybody else!) can say will change any of that, I fear.
So, you see, not all of us interested types are Pirates!
If it is your paid app then you just drop the app into iTunes and sync it to the iPhone. (If you have the updated version just delete it before adding the older one). Just remember to always keep a copy stashed outside of iTunes invade you update the one inside iTunes by mistake.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks