Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jul 16, 2005, 05:54 PM   #1
jayeskreezy
macrumors 65816

Photoshop help...cloning a pic???

Well, I thought I posted this already on here, but maybe im just crazy. Anyway I was wondering if anyone know how to get a double of one person in the same picture? I cant find any tutorials on it online, butit seems like you would do somethign with layers and the clone stamp. Here's an example of a picture that this dude did that shows the effect I want.

jayeskreezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:07 PM   #2
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

So do you have a separate second image of the person you want to include? In the example you posted, the second picture of the person is clearly not the same photo as the first one -- it was cloned in from *another* photo.

The basic idea of what you want is to use the magnetic lasso or the magic wand tool to select just the person, paste them as a new layer in the image, and then adjust levels on that layer to make the color and lighting match. You may also want to play around with feathering or blurring a little bit to make sure there is no fringe around the person.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:13 PM   #3
MacDawg
macrumors P6

The clone stamp is of no value in what you want to do. As mkrishnan says, the best way is to "cut" the image out of the photo with the magnetic lasso, or to use a copy of the pic and erase everything around it. Using the Gaussan blur will help touch it up some and paste it in as a new layer.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:29 PM   #4
rfeindel
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to rfeindel
You could also just lock down your camera on a tripod and take 2 pictures. One of the subject in one position, and one in another. Then composite it together with some masks in Photoshop
rfeindel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Lacero
macrumors 601

Use the Extract tool in PS to get nice clean edges. You may have to do them in parts on a separate layer and then recombine them.
Lacero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 08:02 PM   #6
jayeskreezy
macrumors 65816

oh thanks yall...that's all they did?...i thought they did something more complicated than that like flipped it horizontal and then used a clone stamp...i appreciate the help...that should be fairly simple to do...i didnt even know they used two separate pics...not a bad job at all
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:57 PM   #7
usclaneyj
macrumors regular

that was more than likely done like rfiendel said.

camera on tripod. two photos taken. boy in different positions. then it's REALLY easy.. just put the one photo on top of the other, line it up and delete the area of photo #2 that is covering up Boy #1.

Anyway, as an alternative to using the Lasso or Magic Wand tool to select and cut our your figure, you could use the Pen tool to draw a path around it. Then turn the path into a selection. I've found that this method allows me more control over the shape.
usclaneyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 02:04 PM   #8
jayeskreezy
macrumors 65816

thanks yall...yes I like the pen the best too because it comes out with the cleanest edges to me, but it also takes the most diligence
Old Jul 18, 2005, 08:15 AM   #9
Jo-Kun
macrumors 6502a

the easiest way to do this (with the most control)

ok first indeed 2 images will work best (because the light will fall different on the 'object' because of a different spot)

but in any way

1st indeed make sure sharpness blur colour is matched on both images

put the one you want to insert on a layer

then use layer mask
image1
and brush over it (set foreground colour to white, background to black image2 and when you brush too much, just switch foreground/background colour

in this example image3 I just made a black background layer and a white foreground layer to show you how I brushed some white in to it (when I have too much just press X to switch foreground/background colour and brush away)

when the result is what you want it to be -> flatten the layers and your'e done...

PS: the position of the feet & the way the light reflects in his neck shows this image was made with 2 shots... no flipping was used...

Last edited by Jo-Kun; Jul 18, 2005 at 08:17 AM.
Jo-Kun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 05:36 PM   #10
jayeskreezy
macrumors 65816

ok I tried all of these and none of them worked...please tell me what im doing wrong
Old Aug 8, 2005, 05:41 PM   #11
20rogersc
macrumors 65816

The easiest way is to set up the camera on a tripod, and make sure it doesn't move. Take one snap, change the persons position, and then snap again. This way, all you have to do is cut out one of the people - not neatly - just go straight down next to it, and then put it on top of the other pic.

Hope this makes sense.

::20ROGERSC::
20rogersc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 06:20 PM   #12
bigredsixer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20rogersc
The easiest way is to set up the camera on a tripod, and make sure it doesn't move. Take one snap, change the persons position, and then snap again. This way, all you have to do is cut out one of the people - not neatly - just go straight down next to it, and then put it on top of the other pic.

Hope this makes sense.

::20ROGERSC::
This is the easiest way to do it! If you have the luxury of taking the picture. Slight movement can be fixed very easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usclaneyj
Anyway, as an alternative to using the Lasso or Magic Wand tool to select and cut our your figure, you could use the Pen tool to draw a path around it. Then turn the path into a selection. I've found that this method allows me more control over the shape.
Definately another good way, this is what I generally do. Creating a path around the object allows you to easily edit it later, and also lets you export it into other programs with ease. It takes time but once its done...its done forever and easy to edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Kun
the easiest way to do this (with the most control)

ok first indeed 2 images will work best (because the light will fall different on the 'object' because of a different spot)

but in any way

1st indeed make sure sharpness blur colour is matched on both images

put the one you want to insert on a layer

then use layer mask
image1
and brush over it (set foreground colour to white, background to black image2 and when you brush too much, just switch foreground/background colour

in this example image3 I just made a black background layer and a white foreground layer to show you how I brushed some white in to it (when I have too much just press X to switch foreground/background colour and brush away)

when the result is what you want it to be -> flatten the layers and your'e done...

PS: the position of the feet & the way the light reflects in his neck shows this image was made with 2 shots... no flipping was used...
Here is a Great way. This way takes the longest by far, but it allows for softer edges over the layered picture and looks more realistic up close. This is the way any school would teach you, but "by the book" isnt always the best.

and never to be upgraded again Windows machines:
Athlon64 3200, Radeon x800 256mb, 2gig ddr
Athlon 2500, Radeon 9600xt 128, 2gig ddr
Athlon 2400, Ti4200 128, 2gig ddr
bigredsixer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 08:29 PM   #13
Jo-Kun
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredsixer
Here is a Great way. This way takes the longest by far, but it allows for softer edges over the layered picture and looks more realistic up close. This is the way any school would teach you, but "by the book" isnt always the best.
its faster than any other way, I know it is... why? well you never lose data so you don't need to go back in the history to see that you only had 50 stages and you needed stage 51 you brush it back wherever you want it
and I use it all the time, its fast once you get used to it..

its not 'by the book' because I've learned it at my old job from a collegue who saw me work with layers and erasing the part that I didn't need (and just remember this was before the history palette was born )
and he told me there is nothing wrong with what you do... but what will you do when you brushed too far???

its all about control...

and in photoshop there are allways 10 ways to do the same in a different way, just choose the path you like ;-)

PS: my way looks like its by the book because I made some screenshots
PPS: don't trust me I'm a professional hahahaha ;-)
Old Aug 11, 2005, 05:25 PM   #14
jayeskreezy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
image1

that's what had me confused...I had to set the foreground to black and the bg to white and then it worked...thanks everyone!
Old Aug 14, 2005, 02:49 PM   #15
Sirus The Virus
macrumors 6502a

The way that I would do is to use the pen tool or the lasso tool (preferably pen tool) and trace your way around the object, a person in this case. The after that copy it to a new layer and the do some level tweaking just make it look more realistic and not so cut and paste. It may take a while to get a good look.
Sirus The Virus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:41 AM   #16
Sparky's
macrumors 6502a

All the above are wonderful suggestions, but my 2˘ is to hire a set of twins and dress them in the same clothes

24"iMac, Adobe CS4, 1T LaCie backup drive
Sparky's is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:45 AM   #17
jayscheuerle
macrumors 68020

Location: Right behind my eyeballs, around 2 inches back. Wet. Warm. Dark.
Looks to me like he took two pictures and seemed them together where the door meets the frame. Notice all the reflected yellow light back onto the frame and the wall on the right from his shirt, but there is none on the door itself when there definitely should be...
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:51 AM   #18
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayscheuerle
Looks to me like he took two pictures and seemed them together where the door meets the frame. Notice all the reflected yellow light back onto the frame and the wall on the right from his shirt, but there is none on the door itself when there definitely should be...
Yep - that's what I was thinking - especially if you just clone a person, the perspective would be all off unless you set up the pic face on.

The sample looks to me as though he put the camera on a tripod and had it take a couple pics and then just stitched the two together.

D
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:14 AM   #19
Moxiemike
Banned

do you have a strobe light handy?
Moxiemike is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics