Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
What are you going to do?

I myself do not really want to go back to Windows, but not sure what other option I have. (We have rid our home of Windows PC's currently, don't really want to re-infest it.)

I have/had a 15" MBP and it was too small for me, I gave it to my mom.

Non-17" users: Don't give me the whole us an ext. monitor garbage.
I actually have a 27" iMac, but I prefer to use my laptop to work, from bed, recliner, couch, backyard, so i have no plans of setting an ext. monitor on my lap.

Fact is 1900x1200 is the minimum resolution I can stand and on a 15" it would be microscopic to actually work with. It's even a little small on the 17" for my tastes, but I can deal with it.

Anyway like to hear from fellow 17" users what they are planning if Apple really does do the stupid thing and kill off the 17".

Last edited:

JalenMc

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
It's not really stupid for apple, I mean it only accounts for >2% of their laptop sales.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Firstly all reports are that Apple will indeed scrap the 17" model as they make up less then 2% of their sales so you will have to switch to a Windows laptop if 17" is your only choice. What i will say is when i got my 13" MBA a few months ago the screen seemed way to small coming from a 24" imac screen (i was going to take it back and wait for the Macbook Pro 15" refresh) but i ended up adjusting to it after a while and now im loving the size. Perhaps you could adjust to a 15" screen given some time??? If not Windows 7 is a very good operating system so just grab a 17" pc laptop.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
I used a 15" MBP for 6 months before I upgrade to 17", never got used to it, its just too small to be productive.

I think more than 2% would use it, if apple didn't feel the need to have such a high price tag compared the 13" 15". (it may also only be 2% but i guarantee its the highest profit margined laptop.)

At $2500 the 17" doesn't actually have an easy entry point cost-wise.

It's not the size that is the 2% problem, its the price tag, because once you go 17" MBP you don't go back. :)

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
If it is discontinued, HELLO REFURBS!!!

I have a 15" right now and it is just a bit small for my applications. i use photoshop/aperture a lot as well as HTML coding.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
17" isn't needed anymore. It's too big and bulky. 99.99% of consumers are happy with the smaller laptops. Apple will survive losing 0.01% of customers to 17" Windows laptops seekers.

Not really. You still have quite a few people actually that need massive power and a large screen, and have to have it portable. There is a market for the 17, its just smaller. I doubt they will pull it out. It's more sales lost to windows.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I'll just get a 15 I guess. I won't have a choice. I have a thunderbolt display so I could possibly even go lower. I'd be disappointed if it was discontinued.

----------

17" isn't needed anymore. It's too big and bulky. 99.99% of consumers are happy with the smaller laptops. Apple will survive losing 0.01% of customers to 17" Windows laptops seekers.

Source: You. Get some real statistics.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009

Buzzzzztt.... Try again.

My mom's 15" on top of my 17". The big and bulky arguement is pure bull.
Thickness is identical. Main difference, the 15" has a wider/thicker bezel.

i2kikm.jpg

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

When Steve Jobs introduced the 17" PowerBook G4, he advertised it as the "mobile video editing studio". Unless Apple is completely throwing video editors into oblivion (which may be true though :(), I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Necrotique

macrumors member
May 30, 2012
The 15" is fine for productivity. I had one for two years before I went to the 17", if that breaks I'll just get another 15".

2nd'd on the 15" being fine for productivity, especially with the hi-res screens. Interesting to see the hate towards them, but I guess it's essentially a thread for 17" owners haha

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
When Steve Jobs introduced the 17" PowerBook G4, he advertised it as the "mobile video editing studio". Unless Apple is completely throwing video editors into oblivion (which may be true though :(), I don't see it happening anytime soon.

A video editing machine? Really? Apple killed that off when FCP turned into iMovie "Deluxe". Gone are the days when Apple targeted specific niche markets and tried to fill them with great solutions.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
A video editing machine? Really? Apple killed that off when FCP turned into iMovie "Deluxe". Gone are the days when Apple targeted specific niche markets and tried to fill them with great solutions.

Yeah. Fcpx blah blah blah blah

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The 17" MacBook Pro is as likely to be discontinued as the Mac Pro will be discontinued. Remember the Mac mini from 2007 that wasn't updated until 2009? Yeah everyone thought that was going away.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Not really. You still have quite a few people actually that need massive power and a large screen, and have to have it portable. There is a market for the 17, its just smaller. I doubt they will pull it out. It's more sales lost to windows.

It's an entire assembly process that they can pull out to make room for better selling machines. I would not be a bit surprised if they remove the 17" from production if it does in fact only make up 2% of their sales.

Improved manufacturing efficiency and cost effectiveness would more than make up for the 2% loss.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
When you get older and your eyesight isn't what it used to be, I doubt you'll say the same.

Apple's 17" is actually about the same footprint as a 16" from every other laptop brand.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
It's not really stupid for apple, I mean it only accounts for >2% of their laptop sales.

It also has some relatively low development costs. Take a 15", use pretty much the same core parts, bigger casing, battery, etc, and you're set.

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
It also has some relatively low development costs. Take a 15", use pretty much the same core parts, bigger casing, battery, etc, and you're set.

Expect that apple buys computer parts in very high quantities and the price of each part is based off how many apple buys at a time or for that year. So the cost of a 17" will not only cost more because it uses more materials to make it but also because apple buys less at a time.

If the 17" really only makes up less than 2% of apples total laptops sales; I have no idea if this number is correct mind you but IF it is. Do you really think apple will care if they piss you off because they stopped making them? Your less than 2% of there sales, that means nothing to a huge company like apple. Plus if they do stop making the 17", it is only going to be a very small % (like 0.2%) of 17" users that are going to throw there hands up in the air and say "OMG apple I hate you and I will never buy one of your products again!!!". So in the end because apple sells so few 17" laptops they can do whatever they want and not care who they piss off. True hurts but its the truth, sorry.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
I used a 15" MBP for 6 months before I upgrade to 17", never got used to it, its just too small to be productive.

I think more than 2% would use it, if apple didn't feel the need to have such a high price tag compared the 13" 15". (it may also only be 2% but i guarantee its the highest profit margined laptop.)

At $2500 the 17" doesn't actually have an easy entry point cost-wise.

It's not the size that is the 2% problem, its the price tag, because once you go 17" MBP you don't go back. :)

The price is high for sure you can get a heck of a 17" windows laptop for 2500... Talking top of line.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

uh uh....one man's opinion. Here's mine: the opposite of yours.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I hope MBP 17 isn't discontinued. I've been waiting to upgrade mine (still on C2D) for a while. If it is discontinued, I may get a nice, used Sandy Bridge machine on eBay. But...crossing my fingers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.