Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Hi,

This may seem like a really basic and dumb question.

How do I turn off my "data" to my carrier, but still be able to use my phone for calls?

I want to use my phone for phone calls as usual, and for connecting to the internet ONLY using WIFI when it's available. I don't want it to switch automatically to data mode via the carrier.

It should extend battery life and keep me under my monthly data limit.

Please don't laugh if this seems like a silly question - I honestly don't know if 3G JUST means the internet connection or it it means both internet AND phone or if it just means the phone.

I have a jailbroken 4S and NCsettings installed.

I have "Cellular Data" (little antenna symbol) and "3G" (3G symbol) as toggles - which one do I disable so that I can still make and take phone calls, but won't make my phone connect to the internet using the carrier's cellular connection? Or are they permanently linked?

I honestly don't know.

Is 3G just for the actual calls and Cell Data just for the Internet?

Which is which?

Or am I hopelessly confused? lol

Thanks.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
So - what do I turn off?

Do I turn off the 3G symbol? Or turn off the Antenna Symbol?

I just want to turn off cellular data and keep WIFI and Incomming/Outgoing Phone Calls running.

Which option should I toggle off?

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
This can be done with the standard iOS Settings app:

Settings / General / Network / Cellular Data

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
35lra8p.png

Hit the toggle between the brightness toggle and the 3G toggle.

Data has nothing to do with receiving phone calls. So any of those methods will work. Data would effect text though.
Doesn't effect me at all, I leave Data off 99% of the time because I only have 25mb of data a month (just got upgraded from 10mb a month :)) and I can send text's fine, sure MMS messages won't send but how often do people send pictures? regular text messages will send just find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.