Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmania87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Hi all,

My first post, so forgive the ignorance etc. I'm trying to locate my iPhone backup file. Research on the forum suggests it's in the following location;

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

However, I do not have a MobileSync folder. I might know why (can't be 100% sure). I needed to locate an iPhone back up some 12 months ago when I wanted to transfer it from my MacBook Pro to my new iMac, I'm quite sure on the MacBook it was located in the above location, I copied it to USB, then I transferred the back up file from USB, by dragging it and dropping it on the iTunes app in applications.

All has been well since, I normally backup via iCloud on a daily basis with an iTunes back up once a month. I'd like to, as an added measure save my backup files to USB/DVD-R. I've spent hours on Google/MacRumors researching where the backup file might be, all I can find is that it's in the above location.

I'm using Lion 10.7.4, iOS 5.1, and iTunes 10.6.1

Please, please help. Thanks for your time.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
If you backup to icloud, then you may not have a backup on your mac, as backing up to icloud stops itunes automatically backing up to your mac (and vice versa).

Try forcing a manual backup on your mac and see if you then have a backup file in the expected location.

I don't have a mac but I assume the procedure will be the same, connect your iphone to your mac and right click on it under devices in itunes.

macmania87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Defbref,

Thank you for your reply. I manually force an iTunes back up each month, by connecting the device and switching to the setting "back up to this computer" and back to iCloud again.

Under the device tab in iTunes preferences I can see my history of backups - the latest back up being yesterday, which I'd like to also save externally.

It's just frustrating that I can't where they are saving to. :(

Thanks for your time :)

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Sorry I couldn't help, but you don't have to change the selection to do a backup just do hat I described in my post to force a backup anytime you want.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Just ran a test. I changed my iPhone backup in iTunes from iCloud to Mac, applied the change and synced. The backup files went to

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/{funky folder}

as advertised.

macmania87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Just ran a test. I changed my iPhone backup in iTunes from iCloud to Mac, applied the change and synced. The backup files went to

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/{funky folder}

as advertised.

Not for me dude. But thanks for your efforts :)

talk2kirb

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Folder Titles

I noticed in my backup folder there are several folders with odd numbers/letters. How do I know which ones relate to which backup? The entire backup folder is almost 70gb. My entire apple device backup (including ipod/iphone/ipad2/ipad3) may be in this backup. Just don't know how to reference which ones I should pull over.

Portly8000

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
iPhone backup location not found

Hello,

New to iPhone and I don't see the "MobileSync" folder in my Applications support folder? I'm not sure why it's not there, but it is greatly distressing. Any and all help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

macmania87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Hello,

New to iPhone and I don't see the "MobileSync" folder in my Applications support folder? I'm not sure why it's not there, but it is greatly distressing. Any and all help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I feel your pain, I've gone through every folder to ensure I haven't moved it by mistake, also doesn't show on a spotlight search. I have a friend with a MacBook Pro experiencing exactly the same.
Immensely frustrating.

Codepiink

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Westchester County, NY
I've called apple about this before. They don't want you to be able to find it apparently. The file is encrypted and in a hidden folder. I called Apple Care a few months ago and after struggling with the rep to tell me where the file was hidden so that I could restore my iPhone to a particular backup I did some months earlier, he finally told me how to get there and it was a bunch of mumbo jumbo. So call apple care and make them tell you how to find it. Don't believe it will be much help to you once you do find it though. iTunes has, obviously, changed the way you retrieve backups and restore your phone. =/

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Maybe I am overly simple, but is there some reason you do not just do a backup today, then use that for your restore?

ustwats

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Update

Ok, so updated to IOS6 and then I realised that I lots an app... so I tried to connect my phone to do a restore and get it working again. Unfortunately because itunes was also updated my devices are no longer recognised by itunes and doesn't no let me sync.

I really feel annoyed that itunes is one way only...PC to phone and not the other way around. This is just a way of making you buy space on icloud!! :mad:

martyfilm

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Hopefully this can help:

I went through the woes of trying to find that elusive "mobilesupport" but to no avail!

I finally tried the fisher price approach and found my answer.

Go to preferences in the iTunes menu >devices and there you should see all of the backups listed by date and in descending order.

I felt sheepish and dumb not to try such a simple solution.

Hope this helps!

ilovemyiphone12

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
YES!!!.... but now what??

Thank you for that information. I found the file yet again but this time in preferences. Now what? How can I get it back on my iphone? Please help!

swissdiver

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
I am using http://mobilesyncbrowser.com. OK, it costs USD 10. But then no more hassle. SMSs can be read on the Mac/PC, as well as call lists and Notes, even in the iPhone is unplugged. The software is, I guess, simply reading those iPhone back-up files...

Lbolin2

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
The Library folder contains important files that can do bad things if messed with, so it is hidden. However it is easy to access with the info you already have been provided

With Finder active, select "Go" in the menu bar, then Go to Folder (or you could just press shift-command-G).

The folder you want to go to (what you type or copy/paste) is: /Users/[user]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync where [user] is your username.

It took me a few minutes to realize that the file path given is correct, and exists but is hidden. I hope this helps everyone! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.