Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SailorSega

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
G'day guys, I'm having a problem with my iPod classic 160gig and I was wondering if anyone can help me.
Basically earlier in the week I dropped my iPod, I picked it up and it was working fine. Then later in the week when I plugged iPod into the USB port iTunes didn't open automatically and when I did open iTunes Itunes would freeze and I would have to force quit it. When I tried to eject it from Finder Finder froze and wouldn't relaunch as long as the iPod was plugged in (I clicked relaunch and Finder went away and didn't come back) forcing me to hold down the power button until the MacBook turned off. Well the iPod turned on alright but it was completely wiped (no surprise there). Eventually I was able to verify my iPod which somehow got iTunes to open up and it told me to restore my iPod, which I did. All my music, podcasts and audio books were synced to my iPod.
All was well, I thought until earlier today when I found out that while all my music was listed on the iPod several of the files wouldn't play if I clicked on them. I tried to synch it again but iTunes told me it couldn't find the iPod. Well another verification, restore and synch later there was nothing on my iPod. another synch told me iTunes can't find the iPod.
My vital statistics: I'm running OS 10.6.8. and iTunes 10.6.1 (7)
My question is: is my iPod stuffed or is there a simple fix? Please help if you can.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
G'day guys, I'm having a problem with my iPod classic 160gig and I was wondering if anyone can help me.
Basically earlier in the week I dropped my iPod, I picked it up and it was working fine. Then later in the week when I plugged iPod into the USB port iTunes didn't open automatically and when I did open iTunes Itunes would freeze and I would have to force quit it. When I tried to eject it from Finder Finder froze and wouldn't relaunch as long as the iPod was plugged in (I clicked relaunch and Finder went away and didn't come back) forcing me to hold down the power button until the MacBook turned off. Well the iPod turned on alright but it was completely wiped (no surprise there). Eventually I was able to verify my iPod which somehow got iTunes to open up and it told me to restore my iPod, which I did. All my music, podcasts and audio books were synced to my iPod.
All was well, I thought until earlier today when I found out that while all my music was listed on the iPod several of the files wouldn't play if I clicked on them. I tried to synch it again but iTunes told me it couldn't find the iPod. Well another verification, restore and synch later there was nothing on my iPod. another synch told me iTunes can't find the iPod.
My vital statistics: I'm running OS 10.6.8. and iTunes 10.6.1 (7)
My question is: is my iPod stuffed or is there a simple fix? Please help if you can.

Sounds like the hard drive got damaged. There is supposedly a way to open the case up and put a new drive in there so you may want to google that.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Yes the drive sounds corrupt. Not bring to be a negative Nancy but you could try to replace the drive but the "Classic" iPods are really hard to get open with out damaging them. Apple changed the design with the "Classics" to try to prevent people from opening up the iPods and moving them. All the generations before them were really easy to open. Heck I opened a third gen iPod to do some repairs with a fork, (not saying the was the best idea but I dnd't have my told and was on the go and needed to fix it). I would do some google and youtube searches before you try any repairs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.