Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Does a script exist which adds Screenwriter and Director to the View Options in the regular panel interface?

I've found that all of the automatic taggers give pretty lousy metadata info, if it sticks at all, and so since I'm typing it all in anyway, it'd be nice to be able to include the writer and director for movies without having to use front row.

Please, let me know if you're aware of anything which can do this.

Thank you!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Does a script exist which adds Screenwriter and Director to the View Options in the regular panel interface?

I've found that all of the automatic taggers give pretty lousy metadata info, if it sticks at all, and so since I'm typing it all in anyway, it'd be nice to be able to include the writer and director for movies without having to use front row.

Please, let me know if you're aware of anything which can do this.

Thank you!
You can add those metadata fields using Subler.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
iDentify is simple and great for adding metatag info but I think AppleTV only shows certain fields regardless (example all my TV shows have the cast info, but on appletv under tv shows its doesn't display cast)

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
iDentify is simple and great for adding metatag info but I think AppleTV only shows certain fields regardless (example all my TV shows have the cast info, but on appletv under tv shows its doesn't display cast)

That's what I'm saying. To get the cast members to appear on the aTV, you need to put the info in the "Cast" line, not the "Artist" line. The "Info" area in iTunes really doesn't match up well with movies and TV shows. It's like they never formally updated it for those media types. It's mostly still oriented toward music info. So if iDentify has a cast field get the info in there and check if iTunes then displays it.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
That's what I'm saying. To get the cast members to appear on the aTV, you need to put the info in the "Cast" line, not the "Artist" line. The "Info" area in iTunes really doesn't match up well with movies and TV shows. It's like they never formally updated it for those media types. It's mostly still oriented toward music info. So if iDentify has a cast field get the info in there and check if iTunes then displays it.

i agree what I was trying to say is I'm not sure the ATV displays things like Screenwriter and Makeup Artist even if you have that in your metatag

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
i agree what I was trying to say is I'm not sure the ATV displays things like Screenwriter and Makeup Artist even if you have that in your metatag

Now I get what you're getting at. Not sue either. I know Subler has the ability to add the Screenwriter field (not Makeup Artist) but I am not sure if it will display that info on the aTV. I minimized the number of fields displayed on the aTV so the Description field would expand to it's maximum size. I have a movie ready for metadata tagging right now. I'll add the screenwriter field and see if it shows up.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Now I get what you're getting at. Not sue either. I know Subler has the ability to add the Screenwriter field (not Makeup Artist) but I am not sure if it will display that info on the aTV. I minimized the number of fields displayed on the aTV so the Description field would expand to it's maximum size. I have a movie ready for metadata tagging right now. I'll add the screenwriter field and see if it shows up.

tested adding Screenwritter using identify and it does not, let us know if Subler does

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
same for me, and TVShows only shows

Description/Length/Added/Aired/Episode:#(Season#)

even though i have Cast and Director in the right place in the metatag

I also find it interesting it is not displaying the movie release year. Seems like they have limited the number/type of fields displayed to meet the real-estate on the screen. Notice that on downloaded movies, you select the movie and it takes you to a screen that has all the metadata as well as background art. They don't do that with local media.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I also find it interesting it is not displaying the movie release year. Seems like they have limited the number/type of fields displayed to meet the real-estate on the screen. Notice that on downloaded movies, you select the movie and it takes you to a screen that has all the metadata as well as background art. They don't do that with local media.

hope they do make that a focus on the new OS they release

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
You can add those metadata fields using Subler.

Subler crashes every time before ever writing anything. Completely unusable. Same thing with Vidalin.

----------

Yeah, I can hand input everything in with MetaX and have all the info be correct, but when it gets into iTunes, important stuff like oh the WRITER is gone. And iFlicks has no sense whatsoever of what it takes to make a film.

----------

If you're not getting the release year, you can change that with View Options. ITunes does offer that...

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
The limitation is in the iTunes & ATV displays. I use iFlicks, and it puts in all the information, but the Director shows up in the Artist field in iTunes, the Actors not at all in iTunes, and has no option to do so. I copy the Actors to the Artists field to get them to show on the ATV.

Pain in the butt, but only if your pedantic. The year though...that would be a nice ATV field to show.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Subler crashes every time before ever writing anything. Completely unusable. Same thing with Vidalin.

Double check that you have downloaded the beta version of Subler. I also experienced a lot of crashing with the normal version but the beta version is very stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.