Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmee

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
It's a mid 27" i5 iMac

everything on the screen stays exactly the same, and the sound loops and plays back the last few seconds. My warranty is expired and there's no applestores in the province I live in. I'm at my wits end and I'm horrified my mac is broken.

I did put an extra 2gb stick of ram into my machine the other week which *might* of been around when these errors started, could that be it? Is there a way to check without having to open up the bottom of my mac again?

p.s. every time I hold the power button and restart my mac after it locks up like this, I notice that spotlight is always "indexing" again.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, it could be a memory problem. The surest way to tell is to remove the memory you added and see if the problem goes away. I've read that memory should be added in factory matched pairs. If you added a single stick, that could be the issue.

You might also try running the Apple Hardware Tests

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
It's a mid 27" i5 iMac

everything on the screen stays exactly the same, and the sound loops and plays back the last few seconds. My warranty is expired and there's no applestores in the province I live in. I'm at my wits end and I'm horrified my mac is broken.

I did put an extra 2gb stick of ram into my machine the other week which *might* of been around when these errors started, could that be it? Is there a way to check without having to open up the bottom of my mac again?

p.s. every time I hold the power button and restart my mac after it locks up like this, I notice that spotlight is always "indexing" again.

Don't panic there is nothing wrong with your expensive mac just remove the possible problem the memory stick you will not broke your mac if you open the memory slot again here i change drives do esata by myself and it seems easy.

macmee

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
It happened again whilst I was running the memcheck so I've removed the module of ram. *hopefully* it doesn't happen again. Like the last few times, spotlight is re-indexing after I rebooted after it happened. Is there any particular reason why it re-indexes immediately after these freezing occurrences happen? The re-indexing makes my computer quite sluggish :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.