Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:53 AM   #1
diane143
macrumors 6502

How to eliminate stereo and just use iPod?

I'm sure this is a basic question.... I was rearranging my living room yesterday and realized that I never listen to my stereo at all. All I do with it is play my iPod through it. I've been trying to figure out how to eliminate it and I'm not sure I can with the equipment I have.

The stereo is a cheap Insignia with non-powered Sony speakers. The iPod is connected to the CD input (no idea why, my ex-h set it up when he moved out, I'm guessing there is no AUX on it) via a Monster cable.

The two spare iPods I have are my 3rd gen 40gb and a 1st gen Touch. Right now I have the 40gb plugged into the deck using a dock with a remote (love the remote!)

I do have an Airport Express but that is upstairs.

I do have my library (stored on my G4) set to shared but again, how to stream?

Based on a couple of articles I read, I'd have to plug the stereo into the Airport Express (or powered speakers). Is this right? I can add a second AE to the network if I wanted to right? Then I'd be able to stream from my main library through this?

Thanks again, I love music but was never the audiophile in the family!
diane143 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:29 AM   #2
waw74
macrumors 68020

you could look at the iW1 or iW2 from ihome, all in one speaker and airplay receiver. the 1 has a battery so is portable, the 2 is newer and supposed to sound a bit better, it's also a bit smaller.

I have an iW2 and it sounds pretty good.

it's got a line in, so you could keep the dock, it also has a USB in (not sure how that works on the older models of iPods, but should work for the touch)
it also has a remote, (will control itunes or your Touch if you're streaming to it)

from itunes you can stream to multiple devices simultaneously, from iOS only 1 at a time.

so you could plug speakers into your existing airport, and have multi-room audio.
also with the Touch, you can run the apple remote app, and control and listen to your music anywhere you have wi-fi.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Medium Rare
macrumors regular

If you have your music stored in your iTunes library you should be able to stream it thru your AE directly to your stereo. No matter what you cannot eliminate your stereo because it acts like an amplifier for your audio sources. Hope this helps
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:06 AM   #4
diane143
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
If you have your music stored in your iTunes library you should be able to stream it thru your AE directly to your stereo. No matter what you cannot eliminate your stereo because it acts like an amplifier for your audio sources. Hope this helps
But I'd still need to move the AE downstairs to plug the stereo into..... unless I get creative with wiring. Hmmmmm it is in the room above the stereo. Now that I think about it it's kind of amazing the iPod still works - it's almost 10 years old!

Thanks waw74, I'll check out that iHome stuff!
diane143 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:04 AM   #5
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Nothing to do with the post, but nice PM :')
MasterHowl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:01 PM   #6
mpugh66
macrumors newbie

I wanted to do this also and was able to thanks to AirPlay . Some have had problems with it but so far so good. The airplay speaker I bought is the Boelit 12. It's portable, has rechargeable battery and the sound is incredible. The only draw back is its price but the portability to me is worth it
mpugh66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod