Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:55 PM   #1
jent
macrumors 6502a

Arrow Can AT&T unlock an in-contract locked iPhone 4S?

I remember in other threads people sharing their experiences after AT&T started allowing iPhone unlocking in April of this year. Some people said AT&T agreed to unlock in-contract iPhone 4Ses, and the three reps I spoke to today all told me that it isn't even possible to make an exception to the policy and that if AT&T sends Apple an IMEI that is still under contract, the computer system rejects it and there's nothing that can be done.

Does anyone have tips to get an in-contract phone unlocked? Thanks!
jent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604

IIRC you can do it if you pay the ETF.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Bobby.e
macrumors 6502

Can they, Yes. Will they, No.
Bobby.e is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:58 PM   #4
AbyssImpact
macrumors 6502a

No. Only when out of contract.
AbyssImpact is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:45 PM   #5
mrbrown
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to mrbrown Send a message via AIM to mrbrown Send a message via MSN to mrbrown Send a message via Yahoo to mrbrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jent View Post
Does anyone have tips to get an in-contract phone unlocked? Thanks!
Yeah, pay the ETF and get out of the contract. That's really the only way to go about doing that...
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:59 PM   #6
nitemare
macrumors regular

yes they can and yes they will BUT they are only making the exception for military that are deploying. they unlocked my on contract 4S right before i deployed over seas.
nitemare is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:43 PM   #7
reclusive46
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby.e View Post
Can they, Yes. Will they, No.
Agreed. I don't know any carrier anywhere in the world that are do retarded with these things lol
reclusive46 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:41 PM   #8
macfan88
macrumors member

They unlocked my 4S. I just got lucky.
macfan88 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:44 PM   #9
dukebound85
macrumors P6

I got my in contract iphone 4 unlocked by them

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by reclusive46 View Post
Agreed. I don't know any carrier anywhere in the world that are do retarded with these things lol
I know, right? It is not as being unlocked somehow nullifies one's contractual opbligations
dukebound85 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:29 PM   #10
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

How did you manage that? Just calling CS?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:10 PM   #11
Bobby.e
macrumors 6502

It probably depends who you talk to.
Bobby.e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:11 PM   #12
Lammercy
macrumors regular

You just have to find the right cs representative to speak with. They unlocked my in contract iPhone 4!
Lammercy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:42 PM   #13
vonWachtstain
macrumors regular

They unlocked my 4S as well.
vonWachtstain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:48 AM   #14
trife
macrumors regular

They've unlocked many iPhones under contract. Just look in the official unlock thread.
trife is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:10 AM   #15
thewitt
macrumors 68000

AT&T's unlock policy is not open to customer service rep interpretation. Unlocking requires one of their conditions to met.

I don't believe anyone is getting random unlocks simply by calling a friendly customer service representative.

Here is their official policy statement:
----------------------------------------------------
General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking iPhone

AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:

The person requesting the unlock is: (i) a current AT&T customer; or (ii) a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.

The iPhone was designed for use on AT&T's network;

All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied; and

The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.

Current customers will be allowed five (5) unlocks per account, per year, so long as their account is in good standing with no past-due amount or unpaid balance and has been active for at least sixty (60) days.

Former customers will be allowed five (5) unlocks per former account so long as they owe AT&T no Early Termination Fee or other unpaid balance.

In addition, AT&T will unlock an iPhone for: (i) an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification; and (ii) a person who purchased the iPhone from an authorized location at the "no commitment" price and can provide proof of purchase.

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.
thewitt is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:19 AM   #16
Ay_Zimmy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
AT&T's unlock policy is not open to customer service rep interpretation. Unlocking requires one of their conditions to met.

I don't believe anyone is getting random unlocks simply by calling a friendly customer service representative.

The person requesting the unlock is: (i) a current AT&T customer; or (ii) a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.

All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied; and

Current customers will be allowed five (5) unlocks per account, per year, so long as their account is in good standing with no past-due amount or unpaid balance and has been active for at least sixty (60) days.

Former customers will be allowed five (5) unlocks per former account so long as they owe AT&T no Early Termination Fee or other unpaid balance.

In addition, AT&T will unlock an iPhone for: (i) an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification; and (ii) a person who purchased the iPhone from an authorized location at the "no commitment" price and can provide proof of purchase.

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.
That's a pretty easy policy..
Ay_Zimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:43 AM   #17
trife
macrumors regular

Quote:

You couldn't be more wrong about people getting random unlocks by calling up customer service. The policy sounds great and isn't open to interpretation, however when you get a rep that simply isn't doing their job, you can easily get an unlock even while still under contract.

I've unlocked 2 that were bought from Craigslist, which clearly isn't an authorized location. And I even disclosed that I bought them from there. A week later they were both unlocked and no mention was made about proof of purchase, paying the no commitment price, etc.

I guess my point is that it CAN happen simply by calling, even if you don't meet all of the criteria.
trife is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:56 AM   #18
Ay_Zimmy
macrumors 6502

They want you to use the iPhone. Why miss out on a customer who could be a potential buyer of music, apps etc.. Plus, I'm sure they can't bare to see a poor iPhone get no attention and go unused.
Ay_Zimmy is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:04 AM   #19
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by trife View Post
You couldn't be more wrong about people getting random unlocks by calling up customer service. The policy sounds great and isn't open to interpretation, however when you get a rep that simply isn't doing their job, you can easily get an unlock even while still under contract.

I've unlocked 2 that were bought from Craigslist, which clearly isn't an authorized location. And I even disclosed that I bought them from there. A week later they were both unlocked and no mention was made about proof of purchase, paying the no commitment price, etc.

I guess my point is that it CAN happen simply by calling, even if you don't meet all of the criteria.
You will have to excuse my skepticism that the rep you speak with has any leeway in making these decisions.
thewitt is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:12 AM   #20
albertxp06
macrumors regular

You can always try. They unlocked my in-contract (by 7 months) iPhone 4. Worst they can do is say no, which they should do to in-contract phones.
albertxp06 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:31 AM   #21
trife
macrumors regular

Quote:
You will have to excuse my skepticism that the rep you speak with has any leeway in making these decisions.
Dude, go read the official unlock thread. For my unlocks it took calling a few different reps to get one that would even submit the request due to the iphones being purchased on Craigslist.

So yes, it appears that they're using their judgment, or lack thereof, when it comes to who gets submitted and who doesn't. And whether it be the reps or someone else making the decision, clearly they're not strictly adhering to the policy.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:22 AM   #22
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by trife View Post
Dude, go read the official unlock thread. For my unlocks it took calling a few different reps to get one that would even submit the request due to the iphones being purchased on Craigslist.

So yes, it appears that they're using their judgment, or lack thereof, when it comes to who gets submitted and who doesn't. And whether it be the reps or someone else making the decision, clearly they're not strictly adhering to the policy.
Your Craigslist units fit the policy.

No contract. Not stolen.

I would expect them to be unlocked.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:49 AM   #23
trife
macrumors regular

Quote:
Your Craigslist units fit the policy.

No contract. Not stolen.

I would expect them to be unlocked.
Actually the iPhone 4 I bought was still under contract. How do I know? Because I specifically asked the seller. Also, my initial request was denied because it came up as under contract! And it was still unlocked after submitting another request with a different rep.

I'd also like to note that when I told the second rep that I bought it from Craigslist, she told me that she was going to note that I paid full price for it. Go figure.

So yes, it can be as simple as calling. I'm not sure why you're hellbent on defending the service reps, but a quick browse of the unlock thread on here will show you that they aren't strictly adhering to the policy. But that's cool....keep believing what you'd like lol.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:50 AM   #24
Globug
macrumors 6502

I got my in contract 4s unlocked. All i did was ask, and didn't even hint that it was a 4S. Just gave them a IMEI number and figured it was their business to know what is what.

Maybe just call them and give them a IMEI number and dont' saywhatphone it is?
Globug is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone