Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Hello! I have decided to build a desk as all of the ones I find to buy are either ugly or expensive.

I'm making it apple-ish in that it will as minimal as possible. I am using two different parts so far: a hardwood top, and aluminum pipes as legs (they will look very good together)

I have access to the pipe at wholesale prices, and they will only cost $12 for all of them.

My problem: I would like to have my MacBook and my powermac with monitor etc on the desk. I can fit my powermac and everything on the desk, but after adding accessories I will not have room for my MacBook. To fix this issue I plan on having a smaller area that will be perfectly sized for my MacBook on the side of the main desk top.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to attach it. Here is a quick sketch:
ae36758a-0ff0-8841.jpg

The red/pink thing is the MacBook spot and the tan is the desk. So... anyone have any ideas?

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm still having a hard time visualizing what you are trying to achieve from this drawing.

Is it just a plywood extension off the end of the main desk? What's the pink, as opposed the red? Is there some reason the desk can't just be a little longer to accommodate? I also suggest a shelf-type thing at the back to hold stuff, maybe the monitor?

I'm just trying to figure out how the red/pink part relates to the rest of the desk before suggesting a way to attach it.

I just redid my desk which is a stock 90˚ corner desk, but I added numerous shelves and compartments to it to hold my iMac, MacBook Pro, X-Keys, Tablet, iPad/iPhone Dock, letter trays, speakers, printer, office supplies...and nothing is out of arms reach.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Make a mini-me desk at 90º to the main desk, just for the MacPro, and put it left/right under the desk.

You now have room.

I'm trying to keep it off of the ground. Cats scratch everything plus it'll keep the dust away.

As for the pink thing, I was trying to visualize a slide-out smaller surface.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I'm trying to keep it off of the ground. Cats scratch everything plus it'll keep the dust away.

Unless a PowerMac tower is the height of the desk, keeping it off the floor should not be a problem. In fact, if you allow minimum clearance for cooling, the desk should catch all your dead skin falling from above.

As for the pink thing, I was trying to visualize a slide-out smaller surface.

Then I would suggest a slide-out keyboard drawer, modified, IF you have enough wood depth in the desk to take the necessary screws from below, without breaking through the surface.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Unless a PowerMac tower is the height of the desk, keeping it off the floor should not be a problem. In fact, if you allow minimum clearance for cooling, the desk should catch all your dead skin falling from above.

Then I would suggest a slide-out keyboard drawer, modified, IF you have enough wood depth in the desk to take the necessary screws from below, without breaking through the surface.

I think that could work. Would Lowes sell the brackets? I could imagine that if I get a 15x15 piece of the wood and attach it to drawer slide things it could work.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
That is really awkward and ugly to me. One leg on each side looks... just strange tables are supposed to have 4 legs. I can understand going to 6, but down to two makes no sense.

OK, this dialogue is now over.

If you can't recognize that the other 2 legs have been cropped, I see no sense in continuing.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
OK, this dialogue is now over.

If you can't recognize that the other 2 legs have been cropped, I see no sense in continuing.

To be fair that picture looks like it's of a desk with two legs.

Where it touches the tabletop on two spots, and then at the bottom splits off for balance.

Like an upside down T shaped leg.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
To be fair that picture looks like it's of a desk with two legs.

Where it touches the tabletop on two spots, and then at the bottom splits off for balance.

Like an upside down T shaped leg.

That's what I though! Stupid picture cropping.

But wouldn't a table like this would look weird
626f1984-42af-fbc1.jpg

And unbalanced.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I guess it does look OK. Just not what I'm looking for. Plus I already bought the top part of my desk. Only $22 bucks at Lowes! Very solid and nice looking.

And this is my revised plan. I might use the raised part... not sure yet.
626f1984-4543-8993.jpg

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If you do want a slide-out shelf for the MacBook, simply go to Home Depot and go to their drawer slide aisle. There are several options for under-mounted slide-out shelves.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
You could place your mac pro under the desk with a stand. Have a look at this old thread it could give you some ideas. I recommend you sketch out the whole desk before you buy the supplies.

editThis could be good for your power mac

Last edited:

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I have the whole idea done. The thing I put the stuff on is the wood desktop. Attached to that I am putting flanges. There will be 6 legs. The legs will be pipes. Aluminum pipes. I can get them as wholesale price and they can hold everything up. If you look at it from the front it will look like this:

From the sides:

____
|°°°|

From the back:

Each "|" represents a leg. Each "°" represents blanl space. And each "_" represents the top of the desk.

The flanges will hold the pipe to the desk. The pipes can be removed from the flanges by taking out the set screw, which means the desk can be moved easily. I plan on sanding the wood and putting a clear coat over it. To keep the natural wood color and look, it is also real wood and not particle board. So the screws will be held in well.

Dimensions: L: 48 inches. W: 24 inches. H: 28 inches.
At the moment there is no need for the slide out MacBook area, however I am going to look into making a drawer. I always loose flash drives and adaptors so it may help. This is all price dependent.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Not sure if anyone cares... but I finished staining the top
ae36758a-5c7a-f36c.jpg

I will build the drawer today and be done with it all by Wednesday. All together it will cost $70.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.