Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tdonnelly0987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Today I was able to pick up a 3g signal on my iPhone 4 on T-Mobile in Levittown Pa. I was only able to achieve a download speed of 3.25mbps but this is much improved over Edge.

Unfortunately, I was not able to maintain the 3g signal after I crossed over into NJ.

BTW my iPhone is running on 5.1.1 and is not jailbroken.

Attachments

• 0.png
    0.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 8,320
  • 0-1.png
    0-1.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 8,237

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
I have actually heard about this happening in the North. Hopefully this goes into effect for the entire country .

It will. By the end of the year at least, T-Mobile is refarming their network to use 1900/PCS for "4G," and it will therefore work on every unlocked iPhone on their network.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It will. By the end of the year at least, T-Mobile is refarming their network to use 1900/PCS for "4G," and it will therefore work on every unlocked iPhone on their network.

Does this mean an unlocked iphone 4S will get Tmobile's HSPA+ speeds?

Or is the refarming only to get 3G speeds?

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Wonder when will 3G be available in Miami, anyone from The Miami (South Florida area) can report picking up 3G on their tmobile service and their iPhone?

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
Wonder when will 3G be available in Miami, anyone from The Miami (South Florida area) can report picking up 3G on their tmobile service and their iPhone?

Im also wondering about this. If its anytime soon I might just go to Simple Mobile. If i unlock Sprint iPhone 4S would i get the "4G" on Straighttalk or Red Pocket? Sorry bout posting in wrong topic.

Lammercy

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Got one iPhone 4 on T-Mobile, waiting for 3G to work in Houston, TX. Then I can cancel my other AT&T service.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Im also wondering about this. If its anytime soon I might just go to Simple Mobile. If i unlock Sprint iPhone 4S would i get the "4G" on Straighttalk or Red Pocket? Sorry bout posting in wrong topic.

Let's keep our fingers crossed :)

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
That's not bad for an iPhone 4 on T-Mo... Very comparable to AT&T speeds... To bad the theoretical max on a 4 is 7.2... Probably get double what you did get on a 4S...

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This is going to start happening randomly throughout the United States as T-Mobile starts using a more "normal" 3G band. Can't wait until they light up Phoenix with 1900Mhz 3G/4G, as not only will I be able to use my iPhone on it, but I will be able to get FREE TETHERING for my MacBook Air :).

The thing is though, I wish there was some sort of map to see what areas got refarmed. After all, we already know the Moscone West in SF has 1900 as well.

----------

If you somehow get the Sprint 4S unlocked, yes you will get "4G' on Straight Talk as well as Red Pocket as those use AT&T bands.

----------

Does this mean an unlocked iphone 4S will get Tmobile's HSPA+ speeds?

Or is the refarming only to get 3G speeds?

You will get up to HSPA+ 14, not the full 42 or something as the 4S does not support the faster HSPA+, but yes, you still still get "4G"

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
This is going to start happening randomly throughout the United States as T-Mobile starts using a more "normal" 3G band. Can't wait until they light up Phoenix with 1900Mhz 3G/4G, as not only will I be able to use my iPhone on it, but I will be able to get FREE TETHERING for my MacBook Air :).

The thing is though, I wish there was some sort of map to see what areas got refarmed. After all, we already know the Moscone West in SF has 1900 as well.

----------

If you somehow get the Sprint 4S unlocked, yes you will get "4G' on Straight Talk as well as Red Pocket as those use AT&T bands.

----------

You will get up to HSPA+ 14, not the full 42 or something as the 4S does not support the faster HSPA+, but yes, you still still get "4G"

Thanks for answering my question. I was a little confused about that entire issue.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
same here man. if/once the 3g starts working, does that mean you can finally send mms w/o having to jb or using a 3rd party txt app?

Most likely not. I believe the mms issue has more to do with the T-Mobile not being an official supported carrier for the iPhone rather than the data speeds. If you look in your iPhone's files you will see carrier bundles for all supported carriers. AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and several other international carriers are on there but not T-Mobile USA. You don't have to jailbreak currently for the mms to work, you just have to go into the network settings and manually enter the information for T-Mobile MMS.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Thank you Mr. Hill, according to that map 3G not available in S. Florida but only in Orlando, FL.

jartram

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
I was able to get 3G speeds in My jailbroken iphone 4 5.1.1 in rhode island, in this zipcode only: 02886

I read tmobile will have a total coverage by the end of 2012

JCJr222

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
same here man. if/once the 3g starts working, does that mean you can finally send mms w/o having to jb or using a 3rd party txt app?

You already can. Go to Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network and enter the correct MMS APN settings. You can Google the correct settings or call T Mobile customer support for them. Once entered, reboot and you'll have full MMS capability without a jailbreak

Last edited:

Jmccollom

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
I am in houston tx and woke up today running 3G on my iPhone 4S . But it doesn't stay it does go to e and the back to 3G through out the day

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Great news.
If they refarm my area I might dump AT&T too.
HSPA+ unlimited data and will save plenty of money per month and without a contract.
Cant go wrong.
Glad Tmobile is updating their 3G to be compatible with iphones.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Great news.
If they refarm my area I might dump AT&T too.
HSPA+ unlimited data and will save plenty of money per month and without a contract.
Cant go wrong.
Glad Tmobile is updating their 3G to be compatible with iphones.

Actually their Value Plans which I'm assuming your talking about require a 2yr contract, despite you bringing your own phone or paying full price for it.

I think this is T-Mobile's way to try and keep customers. Its absolutely ridiculous but is the small price you pay for unlimited data I guess.

Their Monthly 4G plans do not require a contract, but none of those plans are truly unlimited. I think they top out at 5GB then throttled.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Actually their Value Plans which I'm assuming your talking about require a 2yr contract, despite you bringing your own phone or paying full price for it.

I think this is T-Mobile's way to try and keep customers. Its absolutely ridiculous but is the small price you pay for unlimited data I guess.

Their Monthly 4G plans do not require a contract, but none of those plans are truly unlimited. I think they top out at 5GB then throttled.

Interesting.
I didnt know that.
How is their monthly 4G plans without contract prices? As good as the value plans?
I wouldnt mind 5GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.