Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndavid126

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
In honor of This Thread, I decided we should make one for iOS 6. , but what are the little things?
UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who discovered unknown or un advertised features. I have tried to compile the information into this one post. If there is anything that you think has been left out of this or any incorrect information please PM me.

Maps/Navigation
* Road names that you're turning onto are in blue, street names you can turn onto are in green.
* The road you are on is under your position in blue.
* Whenever you approach a turn it goes from 3D view to overhead view to give you a clear view of the turn then back again after the turn is completed.
* Direction road signs fly up and away and another flies in from underneath to take it's place when completing a step.
* You can't have hybrid (satellite + road names) or satellite map tiles while navigating (turn by turn).
* Siri continues to give directions while on the phone even if using a headset (she transfers to the headset). Obviously she gives directions if music/podcasts/audio is playing (volume is lowered slightly and she is REALLY loud)
* Being able to say, "take me home" and have her start to navigate to your home address is beautiful. You really don't need to touch it at all.
Thank you QuarterSwede

Features Slide
Below is the slide of some of the 200 features from the iOS 6 Keynote.
attachment.php

Reminders
Manual reorder of reminders
Manual location entry for reminders

Share Buttons
Share buttons now use a grid like way to select where you want to share (iMessage, email, twitter, facebook, etc) instead of popping up as a list.
EX:
attachment.php

iMessage
In iMessage you can set the caller ID for replying and for starting a new conversation (they can be different).
New option allows you to only alert you for iMessages from people in contacts (meaning a text/iMessage from an unknown number won't notify you)

Alerts
Can now receive Amber alerts.
Also must receive Government Emergency Alerts.

Music App
Music app has been changed to look more like the iPad Music app
Podcasts can be shared via email.

Mail App
Per Account Signatures
No longer shows you the progress of mail sending and it now immediately makes the sent whoosh sound even though it's still sending

Contacts
Search all fields in Contacts

App Store
App Download Process Shows up in Store with option to Open when complete.
Installed Apps also have the "open" button instead of "installed"
Downloading an app no longer pushes you back to the home screen.
An app that has been updated will get a blue ribbon overlaid in the corner that says "New" (similar to a newsstand item).
App Store has new look.
If downloading a free app there is no longer a need to enter a password.
In some places you can quickly swipe through apps in the app store on iPad. Works with related apps, more apps by the developer and apps on the featured page. Click for Example

Dictionary
Personal dictionary in iCloud (presumably syncs with Mountain Lion)

Settings
Bluetooth can be toggled on/off from settings without having to go into general.
New icon.
3 new Wallpapers
Use as Wallpaper share option in Photos

Clock App
Is on iPad (Previously in iOS 5 there was no native clock app on the iPad.)
On iPad clock app temperature shows up along with time.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW

Siri
Location commands work worldwide.

Other
Alarm can now be set with a song.
EX:
attachment.php

Tons of new Emoji's Click to view! Thank you Vitruviux.

More language support:
- Autocorrection for every keyboard
- French, German and Spanish dictionaries

Last edited:

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
New maps apps. Hard to say as it isn't released yet. This thread should pick up when iOS 6 is released.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Ha. This thread should be they should make this sticky in advance for tomorrow.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
:) Feels like yesterday iOS 5 dropped , and now tomorrow theres chances i can get my hands on iOS 6 if they release first beta for developers !

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Because it'll go mental with tons of posts... So if you want to say something witty, say it now, because come tomorrow thousands will see it ;)

I like turtles.

But seriously, last year's thread was quite useful for discovering the minor features and details that you might not otherwise.

I'm excited! :D

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I think this thread should be cleared of attempts to be witty in the wake of Devs with the beta. Specifically the person who said new maps app. I'd also like to remind you that this thread (As with the other "_____ - All the Little Things" threads) is for Undocumented features. Things that Apple doesn't talk about.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I think this thread should be cleared of attempts to be witty in the wake of Devs with the beta. Specifically the person who said new maps app. I'd also like to remind you that this thread (As with the other "_____ - All the Little Things" threads) is for Undocumented features. Things that Apple doesn't talk about.

Or self promotion. heh. ;)

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011

Claim for the 2nd post. How do you want me to discuss all the little things that Apple doesn't talk about? iOS 6 is not yet released to the public or developers.

cdebnil

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Iphone 4

Anyone notice how many of the new map features (point to point directions) were using Siri? Wonder if this means that the Iphone 4 will get Siri or if it means that none of the new driving directions and map features will be available in IOS6 for the Iphone 4.

Last edited:

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Nice features in IOS 6 for sure, especially the Siri integration. But that's it? No new GUI? No Widgets?

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
lets all hope they find a way to activate for none developer udid

----------

Anyone notice how many of the new map features (point to point directions) were using Siri? Wonder if this means that the Iphone 4 will get Siri or if it means that none of the new driving directions and map features will be available in IOS6 for the Iphone 4.

or it will just have turn by turn and still not have siri lol

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008

It'll have Siri but only on phones who can get Siri (4s). But turn by turn will just use the voice over service for everyone.

daleycss

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2010
They didn't talk about it in the keynote, but it's on their website. New app/iTunes stores!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.