Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Searched online and could only find that some James Wheaton guy JB the iPod Nano. Not much was done it seems. Just the removal of some apps etc.

I would like to install Runkeeper on the nano since it would be much nicer to go running with a nano + HEX watch band instead of a huge phone.

Is this possible?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The iPod Nano isn't nearly as popular as the true iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) so there is almost no market for a jailbreak, making it not worthwhile for anyone to go and make a jailbreak for it.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I think it could be big though because the nano is starting to get really popular as a watch. I think its got huge potential for 3rd party jogging apps and other useful GPS applications. Tracking your kid who's wearing it as a watch etc.

I'm actually dying to ditch my iPhone as the go to GPS device for my runs. Much too heavy and bulky. Cant stand those arm straps too.

If the nano could install 3rd party apps via JB that would be great. Unfortunately app devs would want to make nano versions of their apps for JB devices. Needs to be a legit install.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I think it could be big though because the nano is starting to get really popular as a watch. I think its got huge potential for 3rd party jogging apps and other useful GPS applications. Tracking your kid who's wearing it as a watch etc.

I'm actually dying to ditch my iPhone as the go to GPS device for my runs. Much too heavy and bulky. Cant stand those arm straps too.

If the nano could install 3rd party apps via JB that would be great. Unfortunately app devs would want to make nano versions of their apps for JB devices. Needs to be a legit install.

1. The Nano doesn't run iOS
  2. The Nano doesn't have GPS
  3. Devs aren't going to be lining up to write Apps for a 1.5" screen

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I believe that the complete iPod line has a limited lifetime. There may be one but no more than two more refreshes coming. There just isn't as much excitement over iPods as there once was. iPhones and other smart phones are taking over that department very nicely.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Searched online and could only find that some James Wheaton guy JB the iPod Nano. Not much was done it seems. Just the removal of some apps etc.

I would like to install Runkeeper on the nano since it would be much nicer to go running with a nano + HEX watch band instead of a huge phone.

Is this possible?

You know the Nano has the Nike+ app built right into it. Basically does same thing. Only thing that the Nano can't do is track GPS stuff.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
if the iPod Nano (6th gen.) were to be jailbroken, I'd LOVE to see a Game Boy Emulator on that tiny thing, with touch controls.

Playing Super Mario Land: Six Golden Coins would be hard mode to the max.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
if the iPod Nano (6th gen.) were to be jailbroken, I'd LOVE to see a Game Boy Emulator on that tiny thing, with touch controls.

Playing Super Mario Land: Six Golden Coins would be hard mode to the max.

you must have really tiny fingers...

vinikun

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
I just want notification center on my nano so I can preview emails, texts, calendar events, etc. of course that'd require bluetooth and a way to pair to iPhone

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Is this possible?

Nope. Not yet. But when it does happen it's going to be magical, just like when the iPhone jailbreak happened many years ago. For now you can only remove apps and add spaces.

The nano doesn't even run iOS, its not really jail-breakable in the sense of how we think of it today. In order to hack it, you would most likely need a way to flash an entirely different OS onto it.

That said, exciting things in store for the nano ;)

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I have got one running cfw and ice launcher installed apple fans might hate it as its android based.

----------

Fantastic piece of kit but android based apple fans might hate it.

And being an Apple fan thats why I don't like it as much lol

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
And being an Apple fan thats why I don't like it as much lol

yeah I don't NOT like it but I don't like that 90% of my stuff (reminders, notes, meetings, etc) won't sync.

I guess I could sync my calendars with Google and then to that watch, but I already have a nano w/watchband. I just want a gameboy emulator on my wrist running on my nano. What's a guy gotta do to get one around here?

iThat

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
i would like to see a jailbreak for it (the nano 7th gen). I'd love to parse the rds text+ stream into a custom weather app among other things. another idea would be a calendar app etc etc etc

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
i would like to see a jailbreak for it (the nano 7th gen). I'd love to parse the rds text+ stream into a custom weather app among other things. another idea would be a calendar app etc etc etc

Welcome to dec 2012 yay ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.