Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
This seems to the first ever post.

Clearly there were posts before that. That was just the first post of the new system.

The site has integrated a new backend... the rather
primitive comment system has been replaced with a full-featured
Bulletin Board system...

I guess the previous primitive comment system's posts were not archived.

B

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Probably some n00b whining about not being able to have an avatar or access the marketplace.

I laughed so hard. It is probably true (avatar not MP because that rule is still kind of new I think).

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I had ADSL....6MB....That wouldn't come near my needs now, but at the time it seemed fast, but coming off dial-up anything was:)

Ok off-topic, BUT... 6Mbps is the BEST we can get NOW in my podunk town. It aint that bad; we use it for Netflix, online gaming with PS3, etc. sure I'd love to have 20 (or even 10Mbps), but I'll take what I can get. :-D And in 2001... Yeah I still had dial-up, too. :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Ok off-topic, BUT... 6Mbps is the BEST we can get NOW in my podunk town. It aint that bad; we use it for Netflix, online gaming with PS3, etc. sure I'd love to have 20 (or even 10Mbps), but I'll take what I can get. :-D And in 2001... Yeah I still had dial-up, too. :)

I know it sucks....Us city folks take super fast FIOS for granted....There are still a lot of folks on dial-up. My ADSL comes with my landline bundle and is free, so if my Optical connection goes down, I can dig out the old filters etc.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Clearly there were posts before that. That was just the first post of the new system.

I guess the previous primitive comment system's posts were not archived.

B

Those comments were too primitive for the superior bulletin board system.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Back then I was probably too busy playing Starbound II on my iMac G3 to care about that there t'Internet. Although three months later I got my first 512kbps broadband connection installed, at which point wasting time online got a lot more bearable :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I can't help but wonder what those initial posters are doing right now, or even if they're still amongst us.

With such generic names I guess we'll never know.

I don't remember any of the posters in that thread (apart from Arn). And I've been around for a while...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I don't know but I bet it was better than 90% of the content we get on here now days.

I miss the quality of the old posters. But that's probably to do with the fact that there were fewer regulars, so you got to know them, and that a thread that was maybe 5 posts when you went to bed, had usually barely scraped the lofty heights of 10 when you woke up the next morning, and in some threads, usually mine, they'd still just be the 1. :p

When I joined it was the likes of eyelikeart, RowerCPU, Dukestreet, Alphatech, Backtothemac , Jefhatfield, Jelloshotsrule, mischief, Hemingray, teabgs (though I always thought of him as teabags), evoluzione, britboy, Wintermute, krossfyter, Durandal7 and of course your hubs Mr Ed and many, many others, some still post, some lurk, some have changed their names... but I remember them all with fondness though. :)

I don't remember any of the posters in that thread (apart from Arn). And I've been around for a while...

I remember evildead. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.