Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:56 PM   #1
1080p
macrumors 68000

iOS6 + Passbook + 6th Gen iPhone = NFC?

methinks so
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:00 PM   #2
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
I certainly hope so. I *really* want NFC in my phone.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:04 PM   #3
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Everyone seems to love NFC but the fact of the matter is that until there is a standardized payment infrastructure nation wide, it is a relativity pointless feature.

You would still have to carry you cash/card to most stores/gas stations/ect.

It is the exact reason why Google Wallet never gained any traction with NFC.

Why would an airline company or sports stadium invest in NFC when they would still have to support bar codes/QR codes for people without NFC enabled devices?

Apples solution solves that problem.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:05 PM   #4
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Seems logical. Mind you, where I am in the UK NFC is nonexistent. I have had it on my credit card since before Christmas and haven't used it once because there are no card readers here that use NFC. And I still worry somewhat about security....
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:09 PM   #5
URFloorMatt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
Everyone seems to love NFC but the fact of the matter is that until there is a standardized payment infrastructure nation wide, it is a relativity pointless feature.
Build it and they will come. Apple has 9 car manufacturers putting Siri buttons on their steering wheels. No one's going to standardize the infrastructure until there's a device worth standardizing for.

As this presentation made clear, Apple has extremely more clout leveraging new functionality than Google. Virtually everyone with an Android device is running 2.3 and 2.4. Almost none are running 3.0 or 4.0. Google Wallet can't get it done.

Quote:
Why would an airline company or sports stadium invest in NFC when they would still have to support bar codes/QR codes for people without NFC enabled devices?
It's complimentary functionality, no doubt. You can envision Passbook plus NFC allowing you to leave your wallet at home, as your credit card could be stored on the device and swiped over a paypass-type device.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:19 PM   #6
scottish
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
Seems logical. Mind you, where I am in the UK NFC is nonexistent. I have had it on my credit card since before Christmas and haven't used it once because there are no card readers here that use NFC. And I still worry somewhat about security....
You might guess from my username that I'm also in the UK and I have to say it is not true that there are no card readers. There isn't many though.
scottish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:20 PM   #7
ndavid126
macrumors member

Quote:

You would still have to carry you cash/card to most stores/gas stations/ect.

It is the exact reason why Google Wallet never gained any traction with NFC.

Apples solution solves that problem.
There already is Pay With Square and that works with some places.
ndavid126 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:22 PM   #8
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish View Post
You might guess from my username that I'm also in the UK and I have to say it is not true that there are no card readers. There isn't many though.
Starbucks and McDonald's have it. The only other one I can think of in my town is a heron food store. I have a contact less debit card that I've never used contactlessly, but the technology does impress me.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:23 PM   #9
flipshot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
Might be because I live near London, but they have started popping up everywhere around here over the past few months. Must be around 40% of shops have them now.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Centralman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish View Post
Ive seen them in lots of places. I think Costa has them, McDonalds has them, Nero coffee has them and I think Starbucks has them too.

I think if the iphone gets it more places will start using the technology cause they know it is a popular device.
Centralman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

I'm hoping for NFC in the new iPhone aswell. As of right now I use the starbucks app to pay for my drinks and all it takes is a scan. Alot more simpler then having to pull out wallet and using cash or pulling out a card and having to swipe it. Hopefully lots more places will get the readers for NFC.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:16 PM   #12
nfl46
macrumors 601

Makes sense.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:42 PM   #13
kiwiboi87
macrumors 6502

I'm keen as for NFC,
the bus service in welly has just taken up using NFC with android phones,

and the great thing is, this bus service allows you to buy stuff from shops, subway/coffee stores etc

so very keen to see it
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:52 PM   #14
scottish
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Starbucks and McDonald's have it. The only other one I can think of in my town is a heron food store. I have a contact less debit card that I've never used contactlessly, but the technology does impress me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centralman View Post
Ive seen them in lots of places. I think Costa has them, McDonalds has them, Nero coffee has them and I think Starbucks has them too.

I think if the iphone gets it more places will start using the technology cause they know it is a popular device.
McDonald's and Starbucks are the ones I thought of when I typed my original message. I wouldn't say there's been a widespread adoption but they are pretty big names with lots of outlets. I read the other day that the Post Office will be rolling NFC out to all of it's branches.
scottish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:15 PM   #15
Carlanga
macrumors 601

I don't think so; NFC will not come to the iPhone, it's lackluster and only has a few places and I think one bank supporting the android devices w/ NFC. I think this is a technology we as a whole will skip until something better or more efficient comes along.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:16 PM   #16
PAPO
macrumors 6502

I have to agree (at least partially) with the OP I think Passbook is apple prepping for NFC, and somewhat testing the waters, if uptake is good enough then we may see NFC soon
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:21 PM   #17
theonekcrow
macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing, but there are definitely going to be very few retailers on board when and if this launches...
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:32 PM   #18
mncmoore
macrumors regular

Everyone follows apple. If apple puts it in, NFC will bloom and everyone else will follow.
mncmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:09 AM   #19
tdar
macrumors 6502

One thing all of you are missing. leads they do not follow. There will be no NFC , a non standard that is mostly now identified with Google.

does not do things to make others $$, they do things to make themselves $.

So NO to NFC, Yes to pay with apple id in Passbook.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:59 AM   #20
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Apple holds 26 NFC patents. It's highly likely they will use them at some point...
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:18 AM   #21
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
The Heron in Lincoln has it?? I'm in Spilsby so nowhere here has it!

--

Until my local Sainsbury's or Shell garage has it, it's still useless! --- but.....I do want it!
kirky29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:20 AM   #22
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncmoore View Post
Everyone follows apple. If apple puts it in, NFC will bloom and everyone else will follow.
Pretty much.

Just because Google sucks at life and couldn't get it done...
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:08 AM   #23
iceman314
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to iceman314
I think that Apple is preparing itself to the mobile payment with Passbook, but not necessarily (and only) with the NFC hardware.
My opinion is that Apple will deploy a system to enable payments, perhaps using NFC for new iPhone, but also with other methods, to use mobile payment also with all other iPhone models equipped with iOS 6.
Don't forget that the force of iPhone is that one half of the planet (ok, perhaps quite less ) owns an iPhone 3gs/4/4s and all these phones have not NFC. In order to make this type of payment available soon (I mean, used not only by McDonald's, Starbucks and other big stores), you should consider not only iPhone 5 but also older models, currently on sale.
How? I don't know
iceman314 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:22 AM   #24
Parise
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Pretty much.

Just because Google sucks at life and couldn't get it done...
I mean, seeing as they own over half the market share I wouldn't exactly say they "suck at life".

The issue with NFC is that its still relatively in its infancy. Little is still unknown about any potential NFC threats and I'm pretty sure people dont want an non-secure technology transmitting their banking/personal data.

Cool technology though, hope it catches on for certain things. I'll continue to pay my bills with cash or a physical credit card, however.
Parise is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6