Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
So no update then?
Maybe a silent update?

Was hoping to pick one up but don't want to until Ivy Bridge and better graphics...... :(

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I don't understand how people were surprised by this.

Mac Mini doesn't make Apple money. On the grand scheme of things, nobody buys it.

No point investing all that money just to have the Mini sit on shelves.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
I think there is still a chance. They've had silent updates before.

The stores still arnt up yet.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008

Mac Mini doesn't make Apple money. On the grand scheme of things, nobody buys it.

I'm pretty sure it's there best selling computer.

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
If it is not announced during this event, at least we know if won't be too long now. The Ivy Bridge MacBook Air with USB 3.0 pretty much confirms what we expect to get with the next Mini.

I can wait 'til the fall if necessary. :)

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Store back up.
Think the Mac Pro has been updated??
Mac mini has had no update. The wait continues....... Lol

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010

Evidence?

I know that I have more minis than all my other macs put together. The mini is the thing I was most interested in after the MBP -- and since the new MBPs fail to meet my niche, I guess I get nothing. :)

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Evidence?

I know that I have more minis than all my other macs put together. The mini is the thing I was most interested in after the MBP -- and since the new MBPs fail to meet my niche, I guess I get nothing. :)

Well we're not Apple's only customers.

Several college students use 13" Macbook Pros ... It's no competition really, Apple's consumer base is not the tech crowd unfortunately, it's college students and high school girls who could care less about USB 2 vs USB 3.

Heck even the professionals are starting to suffer for it, they straight up axed the 17" Macbook Pro and Mac Pro.

Again, the Mini makes Apple peanuts compared to the iPhone/iPad and 13" Macbook Pro. That is why the Mini is not a priority.

Nikomanz

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Washington, D.C.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ktop/zgbs/pc/565098/ref=zg_bs_nav_pc_2_565108

----------

Not even close, that would be the Macbook Pro 13.

Do you have numbers to back that up?

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ktop/zgbs/pc/565098/ref=zg_bs_nav_pc_2_565108

apparently the base mini sells more per unit than the iMac and all other desktops on amazon.com, and has done so for quite some time (322 days)

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Not the first time that MacBook Pros get updated earlier, with the Mac mini following suit later.

While certainly not a high volume model with individual customers, it's somehow important in Apple's product lineup for some uses (education, organisations).

And compared to the Mac pro, the Mini's development is a piece of cake for Apple. Just stuff the 13" MBP's innnards into a small desktop case...

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011

----------

apparently the base mini sells more per unit than the iMac and all other desktops on amazon.com, and has done so for quite some time (322 days)

Lol, you're showing me best DESKTOP computers .... I said provide me with numbers that shows that more people buy the Mini than the base 13" Macbook Pro.

You won't be able to do it. Deep down you know full well that desktops don't sell as well as laptops do anymore.

I'm telling you that the 13" Macbook Pro is the best selling computer for Apple.

Nikomanz

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Lol, you're showing me best DESKTOP computers .... I said provide me with numbers that shows that more people buy the Mini than the base 13" Macbook Pro.

You won't be able to do it. Deep down you know full well that desktops don't sell as well as laptops do anymore.

I'm telling you that the 13" Macbook Pro is the best selling computer for Apple.

Well I mainly showed that link to state that people actually do buy minis, and quite a lot of them do..

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Lol I always find it funny when people say "The [insert any Apple product] doesn't sell well, so they don't care..."

After all, everything Apple makes sells better than anything the competition makes, let apart some mistakes like the 850€ priced base-model Mini in 2009.

Hey, the current Mac Mini is the best selling desktop in the world! I'd bet HP or Dell would love to have this machine under their brand. Even if the desktop market isn't the biggest when looking at Apple, it's still a huge market overall, so why shouldn't they care? I think they like every billion, regardless of where it comes.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Will be updated in concert with ML later this summer. Apple will not put off an upgrade to the Mini in order to capture higher Back-to-School sales.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I had already purchased my Vertex 3 SSD in anticipation of an updated Mac Mini. Lol
I don't want to buy know, especially when we know what's going into the updated Mac Mini, following the MBP updates.
I guess I'll wait patiently...... ;)

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008

You have no numbers to back yourself up, but claim others are wrong.

xheathen

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2010
No refresh today, but can anyone honestly say the potential doesn't look kick ass?

When they refresh, it looks to be sporting an Ivy Bridge setup with integrated graphics baseline and a discrete nVidia GT 650-m as an option and USB3.

I'd say that's a massive upgrade in almost every respect. If they manage to push out a quad core with a discrete graphics option, I'm just gonna freak out :p

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'm pretty sure it's there best selling computer.

It's not. The 13" MBP is the best selling computer, by far. Just that model alone outsells the 11" MBA and 13" MBA combined. Having said that, I am fairly sure there will be a silent mini update before the end of the summer.

----------

No refresh today, but can anyone honestly say the potential doesn't look kick ass?

When they refresh, it looks to be sporting an Ivy Bridge setup with integrated graphics baseline and a discrete nVidia GT 650-m as an option and USB3.

I'd say that's a massive upgrade in almost every respect. If they manage to push out a quad core with a discrete graphics option, I'm just gonna freak out :p
The mid Mini normally comes out with a similar GPU to the low end 15" MBP and the 13" high-end CPU a couple of months later.

For example, last year the MBP was refreshed in February and the Mini followed in the summer with the same CPUs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.