Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
Apple has updated the dock in OS X! I think it looks tonnes better, much cleaner and less gloss.

Pic:
facebook_hero3.jpg

What does everyone think?

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
If they changed the dock on Mountain Lion, they should change the one on iOS 6 since they basically used the same one. If they don’t, then they won’t match anymore. I know, third world problems.

Can you check if there is an option to use the old one real quick? Not a big deal though, I can always just hack it back with an app.

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
To my eyes it's really hard to see the indicators to tell what apps are open. they just look like reflections.

bitsoda

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
The aluminum finish on that dock is reason enough for me to shell out the $19.99 for ML. Good riddance to the crosswalk markings that separates apps from the trash can and those oval indicator lights; it looks so much cleaner. I look forward to not falling back to the 2D dock for the first time in many years.

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
The aluminum finish on that dock is reason enough for me to shell out the $19.99 for ML. Good riddance to the crosswalk markings that separates apps from the trash can and those oval indicator lights; it looks so much cleaner. I look forward to not falling back to the 2D dock for the first time in many years.

Just get somebody to upload the resources folder from dock.app and you get the same look in lion by copying over the correct files

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Yes Please someone upload the resource files so I can make my Lion look like Mountain Lion. lol please and thanks.

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
Changes of the new Dock

1. The dock now has it's own shadow like a window.
2. The perspective has changed slightly.
3. The icons are lower on the dock by 3 pixels now.
4. The scurve images are gone so the dock maybe rendered by software now, indicators, dock separators and the dock's frontline are still customizable PNG's.
5. The icon shadows on the dock are now at a 90° angle instead of 45°.
6. Strangely the trash icon needs it's own reflection PNG's.
473309831.png
874194391.png

7. There are also new dock resize cursors.
546076904.png
387556818.png

Large comparison shots
DP3 (12A206j) custom dock
738499194.png

DP4 (12A239) default dock
921671450.png

Selective screenshot of the dock, notice that this screenshot only has it's reflective mask and not the shape or color of the dock?
664303216.png

Last edited:

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
1. The dock now has it's own shadow like a window.
2. The perspective has changed slightly.
3. The icons are lower on the dock by 3 pixels now.
4. The scurve images are gone so the dock maybe rendered by software now, indicators, dock separators and the dock's frontline are still customizable PNG's.
5. The icon shadows on the dock are now at a 90° angle instead of 45°.
6. Strangely the trash icon needs it's own reflection PNG's.
ImageImage
7. There are also new dock resize cursors.
ImageImage

Large comparison shots
DP3 (12A206j) custom dock

DP4 (12A239) default dock

Selective screenshot of the dock, notice that this screenshot only has it's reflective mask and not the shape or color of the dock?

lovely icons

nec207

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Is it it funny Microsoft is making windows more and more transparency and apple is making OS X less transparency .

rupam.db

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
Folks don't get me wrong but instead of wasting time on useless stuff like appearance of dock they should work on the memory management, wifi connectivity problems or more like slowing problems of Lion . . . . thit is **** coz I bet there's no difference in its functionality

gsmumbo

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Folks don't get me wrong but instead of wasting time on useless stuff like appearance of dock they should work on the memory management, wifi connectivity problems or more like slowing problems of Lion . . . . thit is **** coz I bet there's no difference in its functionality

Yes, because the fact that a few of the developers that worked on Mountain Lion updated the look of the dock, that means the entire rest of the team was just twiddling their thumbs in anticipation instead of working on the rest of the OS. And once those devs finished their work on the dock, they cashed in their check and got out of Dodge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.