Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphotoaperture.jpg
After their update today, Apple's two photography applications -- iPhoto and Aperture -- can now share libraries with no import or export required. The Aperture update notes say that "Faces, Places, slideshows, albums and web sharing work across both applications". Users of both apps will no doubt be pleased.

Since the apps were introduced, self-contained photo libraries had to be exported and imported to move photo sets between them -- a lengthy process, particularly in libraries with tens of thousands of photos.

Article Link: After Updates, iPhoto and Aperture Now Share Libraries Natively

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
So hopefully duplicates won't appear in either of the applications between libraries?

Spitfire411

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Cool, it was just last night I was trying to figure if this was possble. I hate how they don't share the same templates for Photo Books and Slideshows etc. I usually import and edit my photos in Aperture but want to use a template/ theme in iPhoto. It's a pain. This will be nice.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is awesome!! I can use iPhoto when I just want to do a quick import and share (it's a much more lightweight application), and Aperture when I want to do more detailed editing of my photos.

This news almost makes up for the lack of a significant Mac Pro update today. :)

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Picasa share?

Does this mean Picasa could share the library too?
Although Picasa and G+ instead of web albums I am having having issues dealing with.
It works, I just don want G+ to be where my photos are located.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It looks like this can be about Apple setting up iPhoto for iOS as companion app for Aperture for Mac.

No doubt that the next version of iPhoto for Mac will be inspired by its built from the ground up iOS counterpart. This will likely include syncing photos between Mac and iOS. The problem I saw with that was that if you used Aperture, you'd be left without the iPad to Mac connection because you're not using iPhoto. This Library sharing solves this.

incoherent1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Hopefully this also means a unified Photo Stream for both applications. It's silly to have to choose to use Photo Stream on one application or the other...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It is live now....

No need to ask questions. It is LIVE on Software Update. I just installed Aperture 3.3 I also got the Thunderbolt update, although that is of no use yet, it is for support of the Apple TB to FW800 adaptor.

But Aperture 3.3 looks good so far.

Download and try it out. (make sure you have a few backup copies around first.)

There is a warning that says you can NOT convert your library back. So if you don't like the update you have to go and get a backup of the old library.

ozoneraider

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2011
I travel and at times it is convenient to tag faces and edit photos on my MacBook. It would be great if those changes were synced to other machines on the same iCloud account...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
There is a warning that says you can NOT convert your library back. So if you don't like the update you have to go and get a backup of the old library.
After the upgrade, my Aperture appears to be rebuilding the thumbnail and preview for every photo in my library. Oye. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 8.00.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 8.00.00 PM.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 190

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
ooh, this is a big thing for me. Although I use lightroom because I got a free copy when I bought my camera, the lack of interaction between aperture/lightroom and iphoto was always frustrating. My family don't want to use aperture to browse events and albums, so I'm always having to keep the two in sync manually.

This might actually get me to switch to aperture, its that big a deal for me.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Apple's two photography applications -- iPhoto and Aperture -- can now share libraries with no import or export required. The Aperture update notes say that "Faces, Places, slideshows, albums and web sharing work across both applications". Users of both apps will no doubt be pleased.

Good news. This was one of my whines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.