Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suresh31

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
I am trying to update my developer registered iPhone 4 to iOS 6 and keep getting this "An unknown error occurred(-1)" .

Anybody having the same problem? Any solution?

EritaBe

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I know this is old but I have to tell you this!
I tried updating my Iphone to Ios6, got the recovery mode screen and then it got stuck there! Got error code 3194, ok, try again (about 10 more times) now I got error code -1. Tried google, tried EVERYTHING (dfu, tinyumbrella, ireb, irecovery,) you name it I tried it! People told me that -1 meant my baseband was fried and I could kiss my Iphone 4 goodbye (hell no)
After 2 days of trying stuff I was fed up with software and Itunes!

Here's what I did: I removed the battery - reinserted it - same issue
Then I removed basically everything else (my warranty is no more anyways so that didn't bother me) followed the steps from Ifixit. Made sure to attach all the cables and whatnot really good, connected it to itunes - restored
Oh my apple, it worked!

Me 1 - Iphone 0

mathijn75

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
-1 and 3194

Same error codes here (-1) and (3194) when trying to upgrade to 6.0
Restore to 5.1.1 also not working
What else can I do? Also disassemble my complete iPhone?

EritaBe

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
That's the only thing that worked and trust me I tried everything else.
Start by just removing battery first and try if it works that simply for you!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
3194 means your host is not pointing to apple

Download TinyUmbrella and in advanced make sure request SHSH from Cydia and Set host to cydia are UNchecked

flush DNS or restart.

error -1 indicates a BB UPGRADE problem, not that it is fried, if you have that and phone is in recovery kick it out of recovery with redsn0w or TinyUmbrella

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.