Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acastic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I have decided on the new $999 11in Air and I've budgeted myself one upgrade, either going up to a 128GB SSD or 8GB of RAM. I'm having trouble deciding. I mainly plan on using the Air for MS Office, surfing the web, and some gaming. Would it be better to go with the hard drive or RAM? I have another computer at home for photos, music, movies, etc. I'm leaning towards getting more RAM but would I really need the 8gb verses 4gb? Thanks!

rygamble

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
I have decided on the new $999 11in Air and I've budgeted myself one upgrade, either going up to a 128GB SSD or 8GB of RAM. I'm having trouble deciding. I mainly plan on using the Air for MS Office, surfing the web, and some gaming. Would it be better to go with the hard drive or RAM? I have another computer at home for photos, music, movies, etc. I'm leaning towards getting more RAM but would I really need the 8gb verses 4gb? Thanks!

Get both. It's only an extra $100 on top of what you've budgeted. And what's that to a $1000 or so computer? Getting both will give it a much longer life I would imagine.

But if you have to get one now, get the RAM because you can at least upgrade the storage through OWC if it comes to it.

stefan109

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
IMO the RAM upgrade would be more useful. Having a 128 will still mean you have to budget your media, and whilst a 64 may be a little more painful, you will have to budget regardless. It will likely not effect the day-to-day usability, whereas RAM will.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Since the RAM is not replaceable, you will be stuck for all time with what you buy now. Get 8GB. In 2 years, your MBA will be still chugging along, but the future OSX whatchallit will want more ram to be happy.

Made that mistake buying a 2 GB MBA in 2010. If I had realized at the time that I couldn't upgrade the RAM, I would have shelled out an extra hundred bucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.