Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:41 PM   #1
jedolley
macrumors 68000

Space Combat Sims?

I recently started playing Galaxy on Fire 2 and have been really enjoying it. However, I haven't been playing that long and have discovered there isn't much in the way of ships, weapons, equipment to upgrade to.

I was wondering if there are any other Space Combat like games with deeper customization, world, and even story (optional)? I purchased X3: Terran Conflict, but so far it's been a little too much. There does not appear to be any sort of tutorial and I haven't had a chance to RTFM.

I would prefer the game to be native for OSX, but if it's a game I should really check out then I would not hesitate to play via bootcamp or parallels. Also, not a deal killer, but I would prefer the 3rd person perspective similar to GoF2 rather than the 1st person cockpit view (I like to see my ship).

Thanks in advance!
jedolley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:03 AM   #2
DrakkenWar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to DrakkenWar Send a message via Yahoo to DrakkenWar Send a message via Skype™ to DrakkenWar
Here is the lowdown.

I figured I would take a stab at this one too. Being that I am a Space Sim and FPS junkie I have always tried to find a melding of the two. (WingCommander anyone? Buller?).

http://www.galaxyonfire.com/en/galaxy-on-fire-2.html

- While Galaxy On Fire 2 is close. The story line is at best meh. The mining missions? For the love of CAIN! You twitch and things get all explodie back to try again. Though the graphics and music are pretty good overall.

http://scp.indiegames.us/

- Freespace gets a bit closer, but you take a hit when it comes to graphics, missions and people around to play with/and/or against. Though that might have changed since the last time I gave it go. While there is a pretty active player base and dev community. Things are progressing slowly here. But hell, it might be worth a look.

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

- Craziness ensues here. Vega strike has more mods that you can really shake a stick at, from the vanilla game to Star Trek to Star Wars and beyond. If you are truly a space combat geek? You have found your mojo here. While it's a bit linear when it comes to combat and ships. I found the community to be vibrant, friendly and apt to show you the ropes. It is worth a look.

http://trial.eveonline.com/en/trial....FagaQgodoBFRYg

- But for the true customize, do what you want, how you want when you want? EvE is your crack of choice. Be careful it was my crack for almost 5 years! While it is pay-to-play. It is truly the be all end all of space based games. You can honestly do whatever you want in this game. The possibilities are endless, the community is huge. Be wary though, the learning curve is steep. Taking 4 real hours for a worm hole to take a protues in not knowing what you will find is an intense adrenaline rush to say the least.

As a side note there is:

http://en.darkorbit.com/big/17/?aid=...FQF_hwodlX1nXQ

- But in my experience? It sucks. Avoid it like the plague. This game? I have no idea why it is still around.

2011 Mini i7/4GB/1TB/10.7.3PBG4/15"/1.5/320GB/10.5.8iPhone 3GS 16GB
DrakkenWar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:24 AM   #3
raymondu999
macrumors 65816

I fell in love with the genre based on Freelancer a long while back. It's a fantastic genre IMO, and I started a thread on it a while back. There are a few mentioned there that are good. Here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=954987

Some worthy - VERY worthy - contenders include the X3 series (Albion Prelude is the newest one, and the one before that, Terran Conflict). The next installment isn't out yet - X:Rebirth. Very worthy of a look. It's available on the Mac App Store for $19.99 IIRC.
11" 1.3GHz Core i5 2013 MBA
raymondu999 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:28 AM   #4
laetusviator
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakkenWar View Post
But for the true customize, do what you want, how you want when you want? EvE is your crack of choice. Be careful it was my crack for almost 5 years! While it is pay-to-play. It is truly the be all end all of space based games.
I agree, EVE is pretty good, but as I recall (haven't played it in a loooong time) the space combat really wasn't particularly satisfying. I can't remember the reason why (again, it has been a while!), but I just remember feeling like EVE's combat was lacking somehow. Is the combat more RPG-like than twitch / skill-based?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:02 PM   #5
DrakkenWar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to DrakkenWar Send a message via Yahoo to DrakkenWar Send a message via Skype™ to DrakkenWar
Eve

Quote:
Originally Posted by laetusviator View Post
I agree, EVE is pretty good, but as I recall (haven't played it in a loooong time) the space combat really wasn't particularly satisfying. I can't remember the reason why (again, it has been a while!), but I just remember feeling like EVE's combat was lacking somehow. Is the combat more RPG-like than twitch / skill-based?
Indeed, the combat in EvE is more tactical, third-person combat. No WingCommander or X3 twitch. Out of the one's I suggested, VegaStrike can kinda full fill that need for first person combat

2011 Mini i7/4GB/1TB/10.7.3PBG4/15"/1.5/320GB/10.5.8iPhone 3GS 16GB
DrakkenWar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Jediwoman
macrumors newbie

Space Combat Sims

I know this is an old thread; but I hope folks are still paying attention. I was surprised no one posted one of the best space combat games EVER. It is Mac compatible (in fact, compatible with Mac, Windows, Linux, and now will play on an android phone). It even runs (beautifully) on my Kindle Fire:

Vendetta Online
http://www.vendetta-online.com/

Yes, it is subscription based. If you pay month to month, the cost is $9.99 per month. The cost decreases if you pay for bigger chunks. I am a big fan of Freelancer and, as such, truly enjoy Vendetta. An MMORPG, it employs a twitch based combat system. It is not a strategy game (YAY!!!!!!) - it does not require the micromanagement that such games require. In VO you can pursue mining, trade, you can be a BADA$$ combat pilot, or even a pirate. Some players are very into the RPG angle, some are more dedicated to combat. If you like this kind of game, there is something for everyone.

For big fans of space games, here are two additional resources to investigate:

http://spacesimcentral.com/

and:

http://spacegamejunkie.com/

Both are comprehensive, up to date, & well researched. Have fun. See you in space! :P
Jediwoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

You can buy a number of the classic Wing Commander games on www.gog.com inexpensively. They have a lot of cool old games that would run well with Boxer (for old MS-DOS titles) or Wineskin, depending on the game of course.

For the Wing Commander titles you'd need to use Wineskin to run their Windows installers and get the files for Boxer to use to run the game but they should work just fine since Boxer provides DOSBox for Mac.

Also, you might want to google for FSOpen for info about the mod that updates the graphics and makes Freespace and Freespace 2 playable on the Mac.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:41 PM   #8
TedM
macrumors 6502

I really really enjoyed sins of a solar empire. I don't know if it works for macs or is the type of space combat you are looking for. But it is an amazing strategy rts game. The space combat is just amazing and has a lot of strategy to it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Veloxi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediwoman View Post
I know this is an old thread; but I hope folks are still paying attention. I was surprised no one posted one of the best space combat games EVER. It is Mac compatible (in fact, compatible with Mac, Windows, Linux, and now will play on an android phone). It even runs (beautifully) on my Kindle Fire:

Vendetta Online
http://www.vendetta-online.com/

Yes, it is subscription based. If you pay month to month, the cost is $9.99 per month. The cost decreases if you pay for bigger chunks. I am a big fan of Freelancer and, as such, truly enjoy Vendetta. An MMORPG, it employs a twitch based combat system. It is not a strategy game (YAY!!!!!!) - it does not require the micromanagement that such games require. In VO you can pursue mining, trade, you can be a BADA$$ combat pilot, or even a pirate. Some players are very into the RPG angle, some are more dedicated to combat. If you like this kind of game, there is something for everyone.

For big fans of space games, here are two additional resources to investigate:

http://spacesimcentral.com/

and:

http://spacegamejunkie.com/

Both are comprehensive, up to date, & well researched. Have fun. See you in space! :P
Hey there, thanks to linking to my blog, Space Game Junkie. Always appreciate the mention and support.
Veloxi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 04:01 PM   #10
Huntn
macrumors 604

Thread revival!

I recently started the Eve Online Trial and while I think it has great potential, I fear it is a huge time sink with a subscription, I am wondering if there is an equivalent solo play non-MMO, but maybe multiplayer that focuses on empire building and includes battles, but is not a twitch dog fighter.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:26 AM   #11
Huntn
macrumors 604

Although it's impressive, I've decided that Eve is not for me. I'm giving Starpoint Gemini 2 a shot. This is "early access", anyone playing it?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:38 AM   #12
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Hah, I started around the same time as you with EVE, and I've more or less come to the same conclusion!

The first week was fun, but after the beginner quests, the missions become soooo boring, and you really need to farm or join a corp to get to the interesting ships.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:07 AM   #13
Gu1b0
macrumors newbie

Star Citizen.

Not for MacOs, but maybe in the future...
Gu1b0 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 05:26 PM   #14
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Elite: Dangerous

Accurate model of the Milky Way galaxy with 400,000,000,000 procedurally generated stars.

Multiplayer or groups/friends only or single player in the same persistent universe.

Play as trader, miner, explorer, bounty hunter, assassin, smuggler, pirate or any combination as it takes your fancy.

Align with The Empire, The Federation, The Alliance or an independent system. Or play both ends against the middle.

Everyone starts at (roughly) the same ship/credit level, although perks were available via the original kickstarter campaign.

Currently in alpha, beta starting soon, release later this year (hopefully) and a Mac client promised three months after the Windows release.
cal6n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:14 AM   #15
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
Hah, I started around the same time as you with EVE, and I've more or less come to the same conclusion!

The first week was fun, but after the beginner quests, the missions become soooo boring, and you really need to farm or join a corp to get to the interesting ships.
Also I really felt like I was way behind the curve for a game that has been around for as long as this one has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gu1b0 View Post
Star Citizen.

Not for MacOs, but maybe in the future...
My impression was that it has not yet been released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal6n View Post
Elite: Dangerous

Accurate model of the Milky Way galaxy with 400,000,000,000 procedurally generated stars.

Multiplayer or groups/friends only or single player in the same persistent universe.

Play as trader, miner, explorer, bounty hunter, assassin, smuggler, pirate or any combination as it takes your fancy.

Align with The Empire, The Federation, The Alliance or an independent system. Or play both ends against the middle.

Everyone starts at (roughly) the same ship/credit level, although perks were available via the original kickstarter campaign.

Currently in alpha, beta starting soon, release later this year (hopefully) and a Mac client promised three months after the Windows release.
$150 for beta participation? I think not. Will this be a monthly subscription based game?

Back to Starpoint Gemini 2. If anyone is playing it and knows of a good getting started guide, please shoot a link to this thread. I saw a "getting started" guide in the Steam forum, but there really just no guide, just some getting started general info with no specific in-game getting started tips.
Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:43 PM   #16
960design
macrumors 6502a

Vendetta looks amazing... everything I want in a game/sim, cap ships, turrent control, economy... BUT does it have planet fall? Can I land on a planet or are they just pictures on a backdrop of stars?

No planet fall, no purchase.

I played the old Elite / First Encounter! Cannot believe they are bringing it back! $150 beta, I'm in.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 04:25 PM   #17
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post

*snip*

$150 for beta participation? I think not. Will this be a monthly subscription based game?

*snip*
No, there's no subscriptions. It's 35 to pre-order the game. I don't know what that is in dollars but probably $50. Minor updates will be free but major ones, such as a planetary landings expansion, will be paid for. An expansion pass is available for a further 35 that will cover all these expansions for the life of the game.

I have fond memories of playing the original to death on a BBC Micro in the late 1980s so I backed it via kickstarter back in December 2012 and bought the expansion pass as soon as I heard about it.
cal6n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 06:55 PM   #18
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960design View Post
Vendetta looks amazing... everything I want in a game/sim, cap ships, turrent control, economy... BUT does it have planet fall? Can I land on a planet or are they just pictures on a backdrop of stars?

No planet fall, no purchase.

I played the old Elite / First Encounter! Cannot believe they are bringing it back! $150 beta, I'm in.
Anyone playing this? Subscription?

This link says there is: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02...ndetta-online/

Last edited by Huntn; Apr 29, 2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:23 AM   #19
baloothebear197
macrumors newbie

Space combat game for OSX

[/COLOR]Until they release Elite Dangerous for OSX which according to there website wont be for a "three months later on Apple Macintosh computers" please let it be native , ill keep using Oolite

If you liked the original Elite game you will love Oolite, its opensource and has a truck load of customizations for it i have 112 mods loaded into my game at the moment. They add everything from better textures, more weapons, ships etc. Give it a try it is brilliant.

There are even mods that add extra missions such as assassin, go out an hunt down and kill a certain individual.

The galaxy conisist of 8 galaxys and there are hundreds of hours of gameplay to be had. The best thing it free just download the game from the site

http://www.oolite.org/

and then follow the link to the OXP list to start adding the add-on expansions. The game is great you wont regret it.

Below is the link to the Wiki OXP list

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_List

Also check out Smivs online for some more OXP's

http://www.smivsonline.co.uk/oolite.htm

Last edited by baloothebear197; Jun 11, 2014 at 05:07 AM.
baloothebear197 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2014, 03:13 PM   #20
Rhei
macrumors newbie

Been reading through and see that X3 is on Steam Sale for the next bit. Been curious about it for a long while. I'm assuming it will run fine on the current gen of rMBP, but can anyone confirm this for me? Looks like it'll be a fun time sync for awhile.
Rhei is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games