Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ali5289

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Should I upgrade my macbook pro? I have had it for four years, but have been waiting for the new refresh. I'm definitely not going to buy the new retina macbook, but was thinking of upgrading to a new regular macbook pro with high res screen. Any advice?
Thanks.

pHeNom

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2009
Houston TX!
Should I upgrade my macbook pro? I have had it for four years, but have been waiting for the new refresh. I'm definitely not going to buy the new retina macbook, but was thinking of upgrading to a new regular macbook pro with high res screen. Any advice?
Thanks.

if you have $ to spare then why not.

css136

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm in the same boat. I have a 2008 model and I was waiting for the update, but I'm not too impressed. The Retina is rough around the edges. I think it will eventually become a great computer, but right now they are just starting out. I think Apple has a more long-term vision as far as specs go. They realize it's not a full solution for most people, which is why they're still selling the old MBPs and not replacing the whole lineup.

I like a lot of things about the new model, so I plan to wait for the next spec bump. However, if the Retina doesn't catch your eye, I'd go with the normal MBP. It's a good design and it's built to last. Right now your 2008 probably performs fine, so it really depends on how long you want to wait. Either way, I think you'll be happy

ali5289

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
ya i agree. after much debate back and forth, i have decided to wait for the next round of refresh. I want to wait until the macbook retina gets a lil cheaper with a lil bit more ssd. no need to get a new macbook with the same weight and great (but not awesome) specs when my late 2008 still runs fine.
that is, unless someone really tempts me. lol.

ali5289

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
ya thats what i have hear people will or have done. but is it an easy process? what happens to all my information on my current hard drive? easy to transition?
thanks

ali5289

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
ya thats what i have hear people will or have done. but is it an easy process? what happens to all my information on my current hard drive? easy to transition?
thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
thanks

Quite easy.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

Nate025

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Late '08 unibody here. Popped in a SSD, maxed out the ram, and it runs faster and smoother than the day I bought it. No plans to replace this laptop anytime soon.

HDD replacement is easy as pie. Makes life easier if you have a torx t-6 to swap the bolts onto the new drive. Last week I was testing out 3 different drives on the same computer. Only takes a few minutes to open her up and swap out.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Late '08 unibody here. Popped in a SSD, maxed out the ram, and it runs faster and smoother than the day I bought it. No plans to replace this laptop anytime soon.

HDD replacement is easy as pie. Makes life easier if you have a torx t-6 to swap the bolts onto the new drive. Last week I was testing out 3 different drives on the same computer. Only takes a few minutes to open her up and swap out.

You can also use some flathead screwdrivers pretty easily. Just finding the right size is pretty hard sometimes :)

Planning on putting an SSD in mine, maybe a 120gb once I get a few $$$, and just use my 1tb HDD (current) as optibay storage. I use the optibay all of once a month... if that :D

Drebin198

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
I'm also debating whether to upgrade or upgrade the hard drive. I have a 500GB HDD right now, but is it really a big difference with a SSD?

I mainly use the computer for web surfing, music, and that's about it now that I think of it.

Nate025

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
You can also use some flathead screwdrivers pretty easily. Just finding the right size is pretty hard sometimes :)

Haha yeah I had every size flathead in the house except that one. Fortunately home depot is just down the street from me so it was a quick run.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I think SSD is worth for your aging MBP. That is why I bought an Intel 320 series 160GB SSD to see there is any performance I find small amount of it.

Ben8472

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
here's the one reason I haven't (2007).

They are still hot as hell.

^^
that's why i'm not upgrading either.

i wonder if the new lineup has those new asymetric fan's

i don't want a jet on my desk when exporting a few photos...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.