Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:54 PM   #1
TexasMac
macrumors member

Charging an older iPod with a new wall adapter

Here is the situation. I have two iPods. The older one is a 10 gig 3G iPod. It came with just a firewire cable and corresponding AC adapter. I just recently got a new 30 gig iPod Photo which came with the now standard USB 2.0 cord and AC adapter.

I am giving my old iPod to a friend but keeping the firewire setup since my old iMac doesn't have USB 2.0. My friend cannot get the old iPod to charge from the wall with the newer USB setup. It will work when connected to the computer to transfer songs.

The question is, is this a faulty AC adapter or is there a compatibility issue with the older iPod and the newer wall plug? I called Apple support and the guy I talked to was really not helpful at all. Any clarification would be appreciated.
TexasMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Sharewaredemon
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Sharewaredemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMac
Here is the situation. I have two iPods. The older one is a 10 gig 3G iPod. It came with just a firewire cable and corresponding AC adapter. I just recently got a new 30 gig iPod Photo which came with the now standard USB 2.0 cord and AC adapter.

I am giving my old iPod to a friend but keeping the firewire setup since my old iMac doesn't have USB 2.0. My friend cannot get the old iPod to charge from the wall with the newer USB setup. It will work when connected to the computer to transfer songs.

The question is, is this a faulty AC adapter or is there a compatibility issue with the older iPod and the newer wall plug? I called Apple support and the guy I talked to was really not helpful at all. Any clarification would be appreciated.
3G iPods CANNOT charge over USB.

Sorry about that.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod