Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xscapes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
New York
I tried to update the Thunderbolt Software Update 1.2 that release today, but it got error and force me to restart the computer. After restart i got the kernel panic and can't enter the OS anymore not even safe mode.

----------

I have it restore to my backup and it working now but when i attempt to update the Thunderbolt software it happen again.

kdog679

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
I'm not certain if this is an issue unique to the crucial m4. Many people are complaining about it on the official apple macbook pro boards.

Xscapes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
New York
I'm not certain if this is an issue unique to the crucial m4. Many people are complaining about it on the official apple macbook pro boards.

I see, on my second time restoring my backup from before the thunderbolt update now.

SimeonAS89

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I had the issue as well this evening. My Mac kept crashing after the kernel panic. Restored it using a fresh install of Lion and everything is back to normal. I have an early 2011 2.3ghz i5 model with 8gb of ram. No ssd here tho.

Xscapes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
New York
I had the issue as well this evening. My Mac kept crashing after the kernel panic. Restored it using a fresh install of Lion and everything is back to normal. I have an early 2011 2.3ghz i5 model with 8gb of ram. No ssd here tho.

It's the problem with the update itself i guess. Don't attempt to update it again until apple release a fix.

chocolatejeff

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
It's the problem with the update itself i guess. Don't attempt to update it again until apple release a fix.

What he said, I've restored from internet recovery and tried the update again.. silly me,.. bad idea, wait for fix on this update, I believe affects macbook pro early 2011 :p

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Add me to the list of people having kernel panic after installing the update. I have a early 2011 MBP and every time I turn on the computer, it gets the kernel panic. Hopefully Apple will fix this soon.

Noam.mayafit

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012

How did you restore? Did it wiped your data?

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
yep, wish i had not decided to do a software update last night... now, i have a useless block of aluminum. i'm going into the local apple store later today despite the fact that i know restoring from a backup seems inevitable.

SimeonAS89

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
How did you restore? Did it wiped your data?

I used the info posted here. It'll give you some info on how to get your machine working right. I used the 3rd post from the top or as quoted below:

I had the same issue...twice. After the thunderbolt update fails I click restart and end up with a kernel panic...nable to boot. I was able to recover without any other hardware, thankfully, so I tried the update again. Same results and am recovering for the second time. I'm running lion.

Steps follow:

1) Reboot the machine while holding in command-r (this boots to recovery partition and disk utility)
2) I chose reinstall Mac OSX next
3) Enter your apple ID to confirm eligibility.
4) MBP will start a recovery install on the hdd you selected, it will not remove your personal files or account. After this reinstall, I was up and running again as if I skipped the thunderbolt update...until I tried the update again.

Thought I'd offer this while I wait for. One to recover again. Good luck.

As a final note, I didn't lose any of my data during the reinstall. Everything is as I had left it before the update.

C.Kowalski

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
Vienna, AT
Looks like Apple has pulled the update from their schedule... I checked for new updates after my second resinstall of Lion and actually wanted to uncheck the Thunderbolt-update itself, but it's gone.

Well, whatever, I don't have any Thunderbolt-gear anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.