Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

Testing reveals Do Not Disturb does not work

At least not yet. All my calls, alerts, emails and texts remain unsilenced even when it's enabled. Only when the silence switch is toggled does the phone actually silence these alerts.
I'm assuming this feature will be functional by the time of the release. If not, then it'll be a huge disappointment.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:40 AM   #2
jeffzoom91
macrumors regular

Mine is working. The trick is the phone has to be locked. If you are actually using it the notifications still fire. We'll see if it stay silent through the night.
iPhone 5 16GB AT&T | iPad 3 16GB LTE AT&T
jeffzoom91 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:44 AM   #3
Nikos
macrumors 65816

Mine's working just fine. Just had a friend call twice within three minutes and only the second call came through.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:57 AM   #4
jackylam
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffzoom91 View Post
Mine is working. The trick is the phone has to be locked. If you are actually using it the notifications still fire. We'll see if it stay silent through the night.
Thank you for your trick. It really works if locked.
jackylam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:00 AM   #5
jeffzoom91
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackylam View Post
Thank you for your trick. It really works if locked.
I thought about it for a second and realized: "The feature is designed to let me sleep. If I'm using the phone I'm not sleeping, thus the feature won't work"

I don't think it's a bug, I think it's what it is supposed to do.
iPhone 5 16GB AT&T | iPad 3 16GB LTE AT&T
jeffzoom91 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:24 AM   #6
amorya
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffzoom91 View Post
I thought about it for a second and realized: "The feature is designed to let me sleep. If I'm using the phone I'm not sleeping, thus the feature won't work"

I don't think it's a bug, I think it's what it is supposed to do.
I'd have preferred it to be an "Actually silence the phone (including stop the vibrate) at all costs" setting.

We all know the mute doesn't apply to some things (alarms, user-initiated sounds, etc). Sometimes I'd like a "complete silence" mode. For example, I'm in the library. I may be using my phone, but I don't want an alarm starting up just because I forgot to un-set it.

This will still help for concerts and the theatre, since I won't be using my phone there. But there are some situations I'd want to use my phone but have absolutely no chance of it making a noise.
amorya is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:29 AM   #7
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Alarms bypass the silent settings by design. What good is an alarm if you can't hear it....
thewitt is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:30 AM   #8
amorya
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
Alarms bypass the silent settings by design. What good is an alarm if you can't hear it....
I know. I don't mind it bypassing the silent setting, since usually that's what I want.

But sometimes I do want true silence. In a concert, I want my phone to make no noise at all. Speaker off. Vibrate off. Nothing should come out of that device. It's rarer than me just wanting not to be interrupted, but sometimes I want that. That's why I was hoping that DND would be this kind of super-silent mode.
amorya is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:15 AM   #9
danielsamuels
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorya View Post
I know. I don't mind it bypassing the silent setting, since usually that's what I want.

But sometimes I do want true silence. In a concert, I want my phone to make no noise at all. Speaker off. Vibrate off. Nothing should come out of that device. It's rarer than me just wanting not to be interrupted, but sometimes I want that. That's why I was hoping that DND would be this kind of super-silent mode.
Why don't you just turn off your phone?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:23 AM   #10
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsamuels View Post
Why don't you just turn off your phone?
That would make sense. Speaking from experience though. Sometimes I want/need super silence, I don't want to be out of touch with everything though. So I'll occasionally check for notifications.

Phone doesn't take 2 seconds to turn on/off. More of a hassle and time waste to do that.

In the past I'd just put phone on vibrate and disable vibe in silent mode.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:27 AM   #11
steviem
macrumors 68020

Quote:

+1 on just turning off your phone. You shouldn't be using your phone during a concert, and if you aren't being disturbed by vibrations or sounds, you wouldn't know if anyone is trying to contact you anyway. You'll save some battery life for after the concert too, when you have to respond to everything
steviem is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:28 AM   #12
Tonewheel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'd have preferred it to be an "Actually silence the phone (including stop the vibrate) at all costs" setting.

We all know the mute doesn't apply to some things (alarms, user-initiated sounds, etc). Sometimes I'd like a "complete silence" mode. For example, I'm in the library. I may be using my phone, but I don't want an alarm starting up just because I forgot to un-set it.

This will still help for concerts and the theatre, since I won't be using my phone there. But there are some situations I'd want to use my phone but have absolutely no chance of it making a noise.
This feature already exists. It's called turn off the phone.
Tonewheel is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:53 AM   #13
steviem
macrumors 68020

Also, it worked well for me. No screens lit up during the night, no vibrations or sounds while I slept.
steviem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Globug
macrumors 6502

a little off topic but if i turn off my phone, will the alarm still ring? I know some phones do that, but does the iphone?
Globug is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:53 AM   #15
Auzburner
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Auzburner
Do Not Disturb worked well for me this past night. Just has to be locked.

Also, as per the alarm conversation above, the only exception to making a noise is the alarm. So you don't HAVE to turn the phone off... It's only one place to check.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:05 AM   #16
El3ctronics
macrumors 6502a

If you're setting an alarm, it's b/c you want your phone to alert you about something at a specific time. In that situation, why in the world would you not want it to bypass any other setting? If I set my phone for silence while I'm sleeping and set my alarm to wake me up at 7am, my phone shouldn't wake me!? Kinda defeats the purpose of an alarm, doesn't it?
El3ctronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:21 PM   #17
Ilikesapple
macrumors newbie

Do not disturb works like a charm for me when it is a phone call on my dnd-allowed list. Texts from same person on repeated texting failed to light the screen OR vibrate, as they were meant to do. Same person, DND rules were followed (by iPhone) for calling, not texting. (I really want this to work for when my teen spends the night somewhere else.)
Ilikesapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:03 PM   #18
Beta Particle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikesapple View Post
Do not disturb works like a charm for me when it is a phone call on my dnd-allowed list. Texts from same person on repeated texting failed to light the screen OR vibrate, as they were meant to do. Same person, DND rules were followed (by iPhone) for calling, not texting. (I really want this to work for when my teen spends the night somewhere else.)
Do Not Disturb only allows repeated calls (cellular/facetime) to go through when it is enabled, it does not allow for repeated texts/emails etc. to come in.

If something is an emergency, someone is going to call you, not send a text message about it.

Personally I wish there was the option to have the DND schedule only operate when connected to a power source. Often I have it set to 00:00–08:00 but may be up past 00:00 on the weekend, and don't receive any alerts. I only plug in my device when I am going to sleep, so it would be ideal if the schedule was only enabled then.
Beta Particle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:37 PM   #19
teaman
macrumors newbie

I realize this thread is a bit old but I just recently upgraded to iOS 6 due to the Google map issue. Anyway I realize you say that the phone has to be in Lock mode for DND to work? I use my phone as my Alarm clock and so my phone is NOT locked for that reason. It is busy displaying the current time in large numbers and I wouldn't want to have to Unlock my phone to turn off the alarm in the morning.

So is DND useless for my need?

For those wanting more silence than DND offers you could do what I've been doing for years in the absense of DND... put the phone in Airplane Mode. This does block ALL phone calls but I have a house phone that people can call me on if they must get ahold of me while I sleep.

I was hoping that DND being a scheduled mode would relieve me from having to manually set and unset Airplane Mode every night/morning.
teaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:12 AM   #20
dhlizard
macrumors G3

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...x-itself-jan-7

Look for me here Jailbreak/Unlock Chart
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:51 AM   #21
L-Tuned
macrumors member

off topic but related.. the scheduled DND doesn't work anymore after 2013.. is it just me??

EDIT: Nevermind. Found the discussion thread.

Last edited by L-Tuned; Jan 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM.
L-Tuned is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:00 PM   #22
teaman
macrumors newbie

For me the failure was occuring prior to 1/1/13. They (Apple) may consider it not an issue but for me using an alarm app that prevents (and you don't want it to) lock the screen, the DND feature is useless.
teaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:01 AM   #23
Vinamra
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Vinamra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globug View Post
a little off topic but if i turn off my phone, will the alarm still ring? I know some phones do that, but does the iphone?
Unfortunately the alarm doesn't ring when the iPhone is switched off. It did ring on my blackberry though. Absolutely loved that feature.
Vinamra is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:19 PM   #24
ddublu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinamra View Post
Unfortunately the alarm doesn't ring when the iPhone is switched off. It did ring on my blackberry though. Absolutely loved that feature.
Solution - don't turn on your phone.
ddublu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:35 AM   #25
hamiltonDSi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinamra View Post
I also had that feature on all my Nokia phones until 2007 when I switched to the iPhone. I loved that featre as well.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
Solution - don't turn on your phone.
Second solution - Airplane Mode
hamiltonDSi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6