Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:55 PM   #1
stagmeister
macrumors regular

Powerbook sleeps when you shut the screen

With my Powerbook, whenever I shut the screen the computer goes to sleep. I was under the impression that (unlike the ibook) this is not supposed to happen? Is there a way to set the powerbook so that it only goes to sleep when i explicitly tell it to (i.e. the option in the Apple menu), so that for example when I shut the screen I can still have it hooked up to external speakers/TV/the network?

Thanks
Jason
stagmeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:57 PM   #2
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Plug in an external mouse, keyboard, and montor, plus the power adapter. Close the powerbook. Move the mouse or hit the keyboard and it will wake up.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:57 PM   #3
ericssonboi
macrumors 6502

You might have your setting setup that way.
Open your energy saver. Make sure your Hard Drive option box isn't checked. If it is, it essentially puts the computer to sleep.
ericssonboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:59 PM   #4
eva01
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
You have to have external monitor and keyboard set up to have it in clamshell mode
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:00 PM   #5
wordmunger
macrumors 603

The closed-lid mode is activated when you hook up an external monitor and keyboard. I don't think it works just with speakers. However there is a simple "hack" that should work for you (link).

edit: just read this more carefully -- doesn't look like he posted the location for the Albooks.

Last edited by wordmunger; Jul 18, 2005 at 02:03 PM.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:03 PM   #6
grapes911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericssonboi
You might have your setting setup that way.
Open your energy saver. Make sure your Hard Drive option box isn't checked. If it is, it essentially puts the computer to sleep.
Are you talking about "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible"? All that does is it stops the hard drive from spinning unless it's being used. I highly recommend you keep that checked. It extends hard drive life, keeps the computers cooler, and doesn't drain as much power. It really has nothing to do with sleep.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:09 PM   #7
PaRaGoNViCtiM
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to PaRaGoNViCtiM
So what if you don't have any external perphrials? There is no way to close the PB lid without putting it to sleep?!
16GB 3Gs iPhone (Black).
PaRaGoNViCtiM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:12 PM   #8
grapes911

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRaGoNViCtiM
So what if you don't have any external perphrials? There is no way to close the PB lid without putting it to sleep?!
Nope. Not without hacking it anyway. You can't type, click, or see when it's closed unless you have external devices.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:13 PM   #9
stagmeister
macrumors regular

Thanks guys! I would prefer to do it without hacking the hardware... I know that if you hook it up to an external monitor, it won't sleep but what I want to be able to do is basically hook it up to my speakers and shut the screen. Additionally I want to be able to leave the computer on overnight while it's hooked up to the network so that, for example, it can participate in folding@home or any other distributed computing program, or something similar. The insomnia thing looks interesting but the site (http://binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/meltmac/) doesn't say whether it works with 10.4 or not (just 10.3 and 10.2)

Jason
stagmeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:15 PM   #10
grapes911

You could set it to never go to sleep. Then press F1 until its dark and don't close the lid.

Last edited by grapes911; Jul 18, 2005 at 02:32 PM.
grapes911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:30 PM   #11
Gizmotoy
macrumors 6502a

The location, on the 12" 1 GHz AlBook at least, is directly below the right arrow key. If you tape say, a dime, right at that location the unit will not go to sleep when the lid is closed. I used this once for a project where I needed the machine on in my (specially designed and ventilated) bookbag to perform an experiment.

The Insomnia solution has not worked since Jaguar for the PowerBooks, at least from what I remember. I did that experiment about a year ago and the software did not support Panther on the PowerBooks at that time.

Anyway, those are your only real solutions. Even if you make the machine "never sleep" in the Power settings, it'll still go to sleep as soon as you shut the lid. If you're on Tiger, you either have to interrupt the sensor or hook up a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.
Gizmotoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 03:15 PM   #12
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Well, you could just accept the fact that the screen needs to be open (you could have the display go to sleep, to prevent LCD overuse) for folding@home or iTunes or whatever... or you can try the hardware hacks that put your system in danger of overheating. I know which route I'd go.
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 03:30 PM   #13
wnameth
Banned

leave it open so you can span it with the external display, it might be hard to get used to but it is really sweet
wnameth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:43 AM   #14
rubidubi123
macrumors newbie

heres your answer

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17893

this is a program that lets you close the lid without sleeping and you can turn it on and off HOWEVER i dont recommend it but it's your $2,000 computer...not mine lol
rubidubi123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 01:43 AM   #15
adk
macrumors 68000

If I don't want my PB to go to sleep I put something over the little latch-hole and leave it open just a crack
adk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs