Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I think he's asking for the CPU's hardware limitations on RAM capacity. I'm pretty sure that Ivy Bridge hasn't changed Sandy Bridge's requirement for 16GB RAM maximum. Besides, there aren't any 16GB RAM modules out there, which kinda makes it useless to debate this.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
I think he's asking for the CPU's hardware limitations on RAM capacity. I'm pretty sure that Ivy Bridge hasn't changed Sandy Bridge's requirement for 16GB RAM maximum. Besides, there aren't any 16GB RAM modules out there, which kinda makes it useless to debate this.

Last year's Sandy Bridge iMacs, with 4 RAM slots, can be spec'ed to 32GB total RAM, so the 16GB maximum is true only for systems with 2 RAM slots total.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Ivy Bridge does support up to 32GB. Some Sandy Bridge CPUs also support 32 GB of RAM. But as you said this is moot right now since there aren't 16 GB modules and the MBP only has two slots.

MacConvert?

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
So any of the new MacBooks could in theory have 32g ram? I realize the sticks aren't around now, but if I'm going to hang onto my MacBook for four or five years, the potential for that upgrade might help it stay more relevant longer.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
So any of the new MacBooks could in theory have 32g ram? I realize the sticks aren't around now, but if I'm going to hang onto my MacBook for four or five years, the potential for that upgrade might help it stay more relevant longer.

Yes, you could in theory have 32 GB at some point in the future.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
32GB of RAM is too much for one computer. No one can have that many applications open at one time.

Slivortal

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
32GB of RAM is too much for one computer. No one can have that many applications open at one time.

I could, through just having a ton of VMs up at once. Or even just being able to dedicate 8GB to each of 3 VMs and the host.

If the MBPR offered a 32GB option, I'd probably take it for this reason alone.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
then u shouldn't use a laptop to do that.

ivy bridge doesn't necessarily mean laptop. i said workstation (desktop)
I was just saying 32gb is not always enough. The limitation of apple notebooks is the number of ram slots, not how much ram ivybridge can recognise

Fatt

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Miami/Gainesville, FL

Would only be possible if apple also updated the EUFI to support the higher density sticks, without an update to the EUFI don't expect to be running anything higher than 8GB sticks in your current machines. I also wouldn't expect 16GB densities for a few years. DDR4 will be coming by 2014, maybe we will see 16GB sticks around then, and that is being optimistic.

Fatt

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Miami/Gainesville, FL
No they don't. And especially not gpus in laptops.

While you are right about GPUs, the same can't be said for CPUs. It's also not much of a laptop :p, but the P270WM has a full fledged LGA2011 desktop CPU. Portable computing technology has in fact come a long way. However I do still agree, actual laptops are still no where near desktops. Current laptops are very quick, but they are still nothing compared to a X79 desktop, something apple doesn't even have...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5511/...-with-x79based-p270wm-avadirect-first-in-line

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.