Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Just a warning - approach the new updates with extreme caution (iPhoto, iMovie, Airport, Thunderbolt etc. etc)

I tried to apply the new updates released by Apple last night on my 2011 iMac 27" and it has seriously screwed my OS (10.7). It initially fails to apply the updates after downloading and you are forced to re-boot - at which point the OS fails to boot up and reports a rather catastrophic kernel panic. There seems no way out of it as it seems some driver has been corrupted / is missing and I have been forced to restore a previous Time Machine backup to get my system running again. Apparently you can also just re-install the Lion OS using the recovery partition (via the internet) whilst maintaining your personal files.

The issues is beginning to be discussed on two threads on Apple Support, but I suspect we'll see more problems being reported as people download the updates - the update under suspicion is the Thunderbolt update, but that's not confirmed:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18619661#18619661

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18619805#18619805#18619805

All rather annoying as I usually hold off applying updates for a few days to see if anyone has issues, not sure why I didn't this time but once bitten twice shy (also unusual for Apple updates to cause such a catastrophic kernel panic).

Last edited:

wessew

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
Interesting. I applied all updates last night without a hitch. Machine booted normally this am and all updated apps are working fine.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Out of interest do you have Thunderbolt?

There are a couple of threads here, and many more pinning it down to the Thunderbolt update, but it seems no clearer as to why some identical machines updated fine ( as my 17" MBP 2011) did and others crashed with KP's.

The only update I have NOT yet applied is the iMovie offering, but that was released today. Pretty sure it is related to the Thunderbolt patch, and all who suffer the crash can not install the update at all, and many have ended up installing OSX several times. Best advice seems to be if you haven't yet tried it don't for now....And if you've been unfortunate and suffered the issue, don't try again until Apple get a grip here.

Last edited:

spcdust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Why on earth does my Original Post, which is a friendly warning saying that the updates MAY cause a critical Kernel Panic gets voted down. It beggars belief that in trying to be helpful and flagging a potential issue, thus potentially saving fellow forum member time and effort gets a thumbs down.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Why on earth does my Original Post, which is a friendly warning saying that the updates MAY cause a critical Kernel Panic gets voted down. It beggars belief that in trying to be helpful and flagging a potential issue, thus potentially saving fellow forum member time and effort gets a thumbs down.

Just ignore it, some people think its amusing....I just don't look any more...There is nothing whatsoever wrong with your post...don't let the minority who find this type of action amusing grind you down.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities

No kidding, man. I was wondering the same thing when I noticed it. I've been voted down before, too, just making observations or expressing disappointment. Watch this get voted down, too!:rolleyes:

spcdust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I wish posters when warning of the great flood would add the words "for me"

e.g.
Warning this update caused problems for me.

I think the words "May Cause Critical Kernel Panic!" (with the emphasis on the word "May") contained in the title of the thread kind of said that. Also I only referred to my experience and then referenced other external threads discussing the same issue being experienced by others. But hey, if it make you happy please prefix the OP with the words "For me....." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

oscolivar1

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Im not going to update my IMAC, but just curious anyone having problems with their macbook airs?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Im not going to update my IMAC, but just curious anyone having problems with their macbook airs?

Nope...went through first time last night before any of this hit the fan...Not a glitch with my MBP or my MBA...It also installed on my iMac, to which is attached a nearly brand new Pegasus R4....Took the Array off line, did the update, rebooted the R4...No issues at all.

If any of this had been around last night / early this morning, I wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole....Pegasus stuff isn't cheap...I'm lucky I guess..(sigh of relief) Hope those with issues get things sorted out...Many have re-installed Lion multiple times...Not good enough is it?

pclaro

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Santiago, Chile
Warning Do not apply New Apple Updates

Useful for reference and for solutions on how to get your system working again:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_...ate-plaguing-macbook-pros-with-kernel-panics/

It seems that the only update that causes the kernel panic is the small firmware update for Thunderbolt, which was not meant for iMacs.
I was able to fix the problem with the help of Mr. "drimmen" of another thread over this issue.
I copy his recommendation that worked fine for me (hope it helps):
"Start up with the Command-R keys depressed.* Then select reinstall Lion.* This will reinstall Lion and leave all your files and prefs intact.* It gave me Lion 10.7.3.* Then run software update which moves you to 10.7.4.* If you run software update again, it will offer you Thunderbolt and iPhoto update.* DON'T DO IT!* Wait until we hear there is a fix from Apple." (To me, it gave directly Lion 10.7.4).

When I ran now software update, Thunderbolt update is no longer there.
Perhaps Apple removed??

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
What is your fan rpms?

Mine seemed to increase after the 10.7.4 combo and thunderbolt update on my 2011 3.4 i7

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
The update has been pulled by Apple. Direct link no longer available either.

Of course now we are left with the question as to whether or not our T/Bolt ports are working correctly. My iMac seems fine with the R4 working as it should...Apple will probably re-release the patch and it will have to be installed again. Let's hope they get it right this time.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
I'm curious about the iMac 2011 fan rpms.

Mine were
Optical: 1139rpm
HDD: 1099rpm
CPU: 939rpm

now
Optical: 1400~rpm
HDD: 1299rpm
CPU: 1199rpm

not staggering but im not sure if the firmware messed up temp sensors or what. but this update has been kind of wonky from the start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.