Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andboom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
London
I am considering both the retina and non-retina 15" MBPs for video editing with Premiere CS6 and Final Cut Pro 7 (and occasionally FCPX) and had some questions.

How much of a performance hit will the retina display cost the system in comparison to the non-retina display version when editing and processing large video files (e.g. 1080P ProRes HQ)? I assume it must affect real time playback capability but to what extent? Would it also affect render times or is rendering all handled by the processor rather than the graphics card?

When the retina MBP is running in pixel-doubling lower resolutions, would this actually free up the graphics card to the level of if it was running a lower resolution screen, or would there still be more load on the graphics card as it is still having to refresh so many pixels (even if four for every one pixel are the same)?

I understand Photoshop CS6 is being updated for retina displays. Does anyone know if Premiere Pro CS6 and the rest of the suite will receive a similar upgrade and if so, when?

Also, regarding the Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter - does anyone know if this will carry power from the TB port so that bus-powered FW800 drives can still be powered off it? Also, do the two thunderbolt ports share the same bus, or could I run two FW800 adapters at the same time and get good throughput from one FW800 drive to another on the other port?

Regarding the built in SDXC card reader - what are the transfer speeds? - will it read at faster speeds than a USB2 (or even USB3) SDXC card reader? I need to transfer large video files via this port so it would be a great benefit if performance is better than an external reader - USB2 is definitely too slow! Also, is this on the same bus as the Thunderbolt ports (I ask because if on a separate bus, I could presumably get faster data throughput when copying SDXC cards to a portable hard drive connected via thunderbolt)?

Also, would I be able to plug a FW400 to FW800 adapter into the FW800 to Thunderbolt adapter to read from FW400 drives? Would I be able to digitise via this rather unwieldy setup from a DV camcorder? Would FCP7 (for example) still recognise this as a FW400 connection?

I appreciate that the machine is so new that a lot of these questions will be difficult to answer so soon... Thanks for any help though!

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
How much of a performance hit will the retina display cost the system in comparison to the non-retina display version when editing and processing large video files (e.g. 1080P ProRes HQ)? I assume it must affect real time playback capability but to what extent? Would it also affect render times or is rendering all handled by the processor rather than the graphics card?

That probably depends on whether the specific app uses the GPU for processing video files. I don't think that this is very common yet, most of those applications will probably use the CPU. The NVidia GT650M chip though should be more than capable of driving the retina display and doing some GPU accelerated tasks.

Also, regarding the Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter - does anyone know if this will carry power from the TB port so that bus-powered FW800 drives can still be powered off it? Also, do the two thunderbolt ports share the same bus, or could I run two FW800 adapters at the same time and get good throughput from one FW800 drive to another on the other port?

I don't know about the power, but each of the TB ports has its own channel (two channels per port actually) so you should be able to use two of the adapters no problem.

Also, would I be able to plug a FW400 to FW800 adapter into the FW800 to Thunderbolt adapter to read from FW400 drives? Would I be able to digitise via this rather unwieldy setup from a DV camcorder? Would FCP7 (for example) still recognise this as a FW400 connection?

I don't know of any reason why this shouldn't work, since Thunderbolt is just PCI-Express so the FireWire 800 adapter should behave just like native FireWire.

I think the rest of your questions will have to wait for people with actual hands on experience in your exact applications. :)

datapusher

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
I think the rest of your questions will have to wait for people with actual hands on experience in your exact applications. :)

Bump.

There should be some video editors that have gotten their hands on these by now. Hopefully some real editors will chime in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.