Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I have a 2011 MBP successfully running Parallels 7 and Windows 7. I have finally convinced my husband to make the jump from PC to Mac :D and just ordered him a 13" MBA 256GB with 8MB RAM. I am going to order the Parallels bundle as soon as it arrives and was going to get on Amazon and order a single user copy of Windows 7. My question is: if he upgrades to Mountain Lion when it is released, will Mountain Lion be compatible with Windows 7 or will we have to purchase another copy of Windows (8)?

Newfiebill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Works Fine on ML

I've been using Windows 7 and Windows 8 Pre-release with no issues at all. Actually the VM's are a bit snappier in ML. Parallels updated their software about a month ago so it could be used with ML. No worries here on my Early 2011 15" MBP. Recommend that you set it with 2GB RAM, 512 Video RAM and 2 Core CPU during the VM set-up procedure. There will be no issues running Windows 7.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Okay, one more question. I mentioned updating to Windows 8 later and he said he'd want to stay with Windows 7 as some of the company software he uses has just now been brought up to Windows 7 compatibility and who knows when it will become compatible with 8. Should I buy him the 32-bit or 64-bit copy of Windows 7 (I read in Amazon reviews that 32-bit is more backwards compatible)?

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Okay, one more question. I mentioned updating to Windows 8 later and he said he'd want to stay with Windows 7 as some of the company software he uses has just now been brought up to Windows 7 compatibility and who knows when it will become compatible with 8. Should I buy him the 32-bit or 64-bit copy of Windows 7 (I read in Amazon reviews that 32-bit is more backwards compatible)?

Unless if your husband runs Windows 3.11 designed programs, then go 64 bit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.