Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irthomasthomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I know that creating 3d maps is a huge undertaking and I didn't expect to see much of the UK rendered in glorious 3D, but given it's the London Olympics this year I did at least expect to see some London monuments. But nothing? Really?

Unless I am mistaken, that is very disappointing.

naltst*

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
exploring London

and the Thames looks so brown too!

lovely shadow of the London eye though...

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
thats disappointing, but then again I don't really care since i only have an iPhone 4:p.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I know that creating 3d maps is a huge undertaking and I didn't expect to see much of the UK rendered in glorious 3D, but given it's the London Olympics this year I did at least expect to see some London monuments. But nothing? Really?

Unless I am mistaken, that is very disappointing.

1) It's beta
2) Do you think it should be a complete product in beta?
3) The Olympics, who gives two hoots?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I have it on good authority that Apple is spending heavily on putting more low flying planes in the air to accelerate their data collection of 3D images worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised to see them catching up rather quickly. They're using hi-end military grade spy cameras capable of capturing extremely detailed close up images.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
no love for london in many of things, not just 3d maps

JK JK

they just naturally started in america, seeing how they are from here. im sure you will be fine when its GM

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I have it on good authority that Apple is spending heavily on putting more low flying planes in the air to accelerate their data collection of 3D images worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised to see them catching up rather quickly. They're using hi-end military grade spy cameras capable of capturing extremely detailed close up images.

Should be interesting when one of Apple's 'spy' planes tries to overfly East London in a months time and gets shot down by a SAM battery on the roof of some council flats :cool:

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Should be interesting when one of Apple's 'spy' planes tries to overfly East London in a months time and gets shot down by a SAM battery on the roof of some council flats :cool:

Heh, suspect they will have filed an approved flight plan. Or (more likely) buy UK data from getmapping.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Here's your 3D map of London .......

rain.jpg

irthomasthomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
1) It's beta

Condescend much?

With all the international attention that London is getting now, I thought they might have at least modelled Big Ben, that's all.

RocksterX

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
1) It's beta

Beta by definition is functionally complete and needing further testing to iron things out. You are sadly misguided if you think Apple would reveal something and then let millions of people have it with major changes in mind within months. Why embarrass themselves by having people test and USE the solution day to day otherwise?

Current casual users will suffer most from this. They are not going to be smitten even with the expected cute Maps commercials that I am sure are coming. Not because it is different, but because data is missing and the level of details sucks compared to what even iPhone 1 had. It's ugly too but that is subjective.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Beta by definition is functionally complete and needing further testing to iron things out. You are sadly misguided if you think Apple would reveal something and then let millions of people have it with major changes in mind within months. Why embarrass themselves by having people test and USE the solution day to day otherwise?

Current casual users will suffer most from this. They are not going to be smitten even with the expected cute Maps commercials that I am sure are coming. Not because it is different, but because data is missing and the level of details sucks compared to what even iPhone 1 had. It's ugly too but that is subjective.

I was going to post this exactly. The bugs will be worked out but I think unless there is some miracle, the map data (for the most) is what it will be on release.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I was going to post this exactly. The bugs will be worked out but I think unless there is some miracle, the map data (for the most) is what it will be on release.

Why does map data have to correspond with release dates?

Shouldn't it all be updated as the TomTom/Apple map server is updated?

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
They really should have London. Apple should make deal with some airlines to attach cameras to bottom of planes. Also need computer version

Last edited:

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Why does map data have to correspond with release dates?

Shouldn't it all be updated as the TomTom/Apple map server is updated?

I didn't suggest that it did, but a lot of people seem to think that it will all of the sudden get better by the release. TomTom has been around for a while too, the maps for the entire world aren't going to suddenly get better in the next 2 or 3 months.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I didn't suggest that it did, but a lot of people seem to think that it will all of the sudden get better by the release. TomTom has been around for a while too, the maps for the entire world aren't going to suddenly get better in the next 2 or 3 months.

Why can't it get better by release date? Internet-based map systems are updated constantly.

This thread is talking about the 3D data. Much like a road, if a building is constructed or demolished, it's going to show up on the device as soon as it's entered into the server.

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Condescend much?

With all the international attention that London is getting now, I thought they might have at least modelled Big Ben, that's all.

How silly would it have looked of they had done Big Ben and nothing else in London? With regard to this, international attention doesn't mean anything and neither do the Olympics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.