Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jameslikeness

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Can anyone tell me how iTunes Match works when using your iPhone through a car's iPod interface? My car's stereo has a usb hub where I can plug my iPhone in, and then I can browse and play artists / albums / songs via the stereo. I'm wondering what would happen if I start using iTunes Match, and I try to play a song that's not currently on the iPhone.

Anyone have any experience with this?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Mine is a Pioneer and was made before the original iPhone came out and I can only see local songs. That prompted me to switch to using a 3.5mm Aux input instead of the dock cable.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Mine is a Pioneer and was made before the original iPhone came out and I can only see local songs. That prompted me to switch to using a 3.5mm Aux input instead of the dock cable.

Similar non-car experience. Plex (unless I missed something) behaves the same way with a local iTunes installation. It'll only allow for browsing and streaming of songs that downloaded copy is stored on the computer. Matched songs don't appear for streaming.

snourse

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Can anyone tell me how iTunes Match works when using your iPhone through a car's iPod interface? My car's stereo has a usb hub where I can plug my iPhone in, and then I can browse and play artists / albums / songs via the stereo. I'm wondering what would happen if I start using iTunes Match, and I try to play a song that's not currently on the iPhone.

Anyone have any experience with this?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3581?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• While using the remote user interface, you will not be able to play songs from iTunes Match that have not been downloaded to your iOS device.
  • You cannot use the remote user interface to play content in an iTunes Match playlist unless all content in the playlist has been downloaded.​

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
My Pioneer deck is about two months old and like everyone else, it can only play what is actually downloaded to the phone.

Not sure of there will ever be an iCloud supported car stereo.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
The iCloud not being able to display on my car stereo is a killer.
I dont want to have to fire up the phone everytime i want to change the song.

Is there any work-around to this issue?
I currently use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm to get the audio to my double din tv, but I want to control all my iCloud songs on m iPhone 5 on my car tv......like when the songs are stored on my iPhone (no icloud) I can just use the car tv interface to pick songs, albums, artists etc and never have to touch the iPhone.

captainbullseye

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
Actually it does work, I was in my works 4x4 Toyota last week, I plugged in my iPhone to charge it and it started playing from Match account. All 18,500 songs were showing. Although it doesnt do this in my Kenwood in the car.

ok.Eric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
Actually it does work, I was in my works 4x4 Toyota last week, I plugged in my iPhone to charge it and it started playing from Match account. All 18,500 songs were showing. Although it doesnt do this in my Kenwood in the car.

I think this is actually a new feature of ios 6. Before it just showed music I had downloaded from my match account. But now is shows all my songs, even non downloaded songs, on my cars stereo. It seems to be streaming the music because it doesn't wind up being downloaded on my phone after playing it.

Incredibly awesome that it does this now.

Last edited:

jameslikeness

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
I think this is actually a new feature of ios 6. Before it just showed music I had downloaded from my match account. But now is shows all my songs, even non downloaded songs, on my cars stereo. It seems to be streaming the music because it doesn't wind up being downloaded on my phone after playing it.

Incredibly awesome that it does this now.

Interesting! What kind of car stereo do you have? Has anyone tried this with iOS 6 on a stock Honda stereo?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.