jetjaguar
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkshdk View Post
That's a long way off
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:53 PM   #3
derbothaus
macrumors 601

Just more of this BS to hold us over. Good for Macrumors though.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:55 PM   #4
fox10078
macrumors 6502

2013 could be anywhere from 6 months to 1 1/2 years....
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:58 PM   #5
xgman
macrumors 68040

This it absolute BS. What this is saying is that we can't be bothered right now, come back next year and we get to you then. They have had 2 years to think of what they want to do and they need 3? I don't buy it for one minute. They are trying to save face. It makes me even madder than before. I'd frankly rather they killed it off.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Just Switched
macrumors member

2013 is to soon for New Mac Pros. New ones were just released yesterday! 2014 would give them a nice 2 year gap between releases so that the one's just released can hold their value.
Just Switched is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Cindori
macrumors 68040

to be honest, it is looking as if they are making an xMac and dropping Mac Pro.
Cindori is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:59 PM   #8
V.K.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox10078 View Post
2013 could be anywhere from 6 months to 1 1/2 years....
it could be even longer. the linked article says "...the Mac and the Mac Pro and that they will likely be released in 2013." It could easily be 2014. Apple seems to be waiting for Ivy Bridge Xeons and given the story with the Sandy Bridge ones who knows when Intel will actually deliver on that.
V.K. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:18 PM   #9
steveOooo
macrumors 6502

It says 'unnamed source' so doesnt sound very official?
steveOooo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:21 PM   #10
scottsjack
macrumors 68000

How sad.
scottsjack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:28 PM   #11
ugru
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveOooo View Post
It says 'unnamed source' so doesnt sound very official?
Precisely...no one confirmed anything...just nonsense made "journalism"
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:33 PM   #12
akadmon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindori View Post
Hope you're right! This will increase the resale value of my soon to arrive "2012" MP
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:34 PM   #13
DMJG
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindori View Post
This. I can easily imagine a long-term planning meeting at Apple HQ with bullet-point presentation showing Intel's roadmap. Someone points out they can cut the chip count on the motherboard by waiting until Ivy Bridge to provide USB 3.0 support. So they go all in on a redesign of the Pro, maybe cutting some of the PCI slots (assuming TB will provide replacement functionality), maybe providing more onboard power for newer graphics cards, drop the optical drive in hopes of a more rackmountable form factor, etc.

So they do the deed, make the investment, and Intel's roadmap turns out more like an endless highway than a stairway to heaven. Redesign the mobo for Sandy Bridge plus support chips? Too expensive! So they take the old mobo and plug in the best chips they can without outrageous changes as a stopgap until the Holy Grail Chipset shows up.

Honestly, while I'm rather put out that we didn't get the One MacPro To Rule Them All, processor technology has not been surging ahead so fast that the current MacPro is not useful. My MacPro 1,1 can feel the end coming with the hard stop when they end support for Lion, but it's still doing what I ask; I can wait.
DMJG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:36 PM   #14
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Switched View Post
2013 is to soon for New Mac Pros. New ones were just released yesterday! 2014 would give them a nice 2 year gap between releases so that the one's just released can hold their value.
You're calculating it wrong. Mac Pros had traditionally had updates every year but now it took them 2 years to come up with a minor speed bump. My speculation is that the year 2015 is the year we get another minor speed bump (in an effort to continue widening the gaps between releases) and 2019 is when we finally get a redesigned Mac Pro.

Last edited by Simplicated; Jun 12, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Simplicated is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:42 PM   #15
cohen777
macrumors regular

very good news

Actually, this is very good news. Apple is very secretive, and this confirmation that "they will" come out with new Mac Pro's is a loud shout for a company that purposely doesn't say anything. Now, it is completely bone-headed for Apple not to have incorporated Thunderbolt, SATA3, and USB 3.0 (along with a new Radeon and Sandy Bridge) in a new 2012 Mac Pro; but, hey, this is as good, if not better, than it gets for Apple to say something specifically, about what they will do with a product. Of course all the news (bad) that has been made with the lack of a update now is probably influencing this confirmation in Forbes.
cohen777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Jst0rm
macrumors regular

Too little too late. If they make a product I want in 2015 then I will buy if not they lose that too.
Jst0rm is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:49 PM   #17
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Hmmm.

I don't believe the Mac Pro is dead. If Apple wanted to kill it, they would've silently done it like they did with the MB Pro 17" instead of the update they did. This tells me two things;

1. This is the absolute final update to the Mac Pro or;

2. There is a much bigger release of the Mac Pro that isn't ready yet due to timing of technologies not being ready yet or technical difficulties.

Guess we'll have to wait for WWDC 2013
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:49 PM   #18
Jst0rm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohen777 View Post
Actually, this is very good news. Apple is very secretive, and this confirmation that "they will" come out with new Mac Pro's is a loud shout for a company that purposely doesn't say anything. Now, it is completely bone-headed for Apple not to have incorporated Thunderbolt, SATA3, and USB 3.0 (along with a new Radeon and Sandy Bridge) in a new 2012 Mac Pro; but, hey, this is as good, if not better, than it gets for Apple to say something specifically, about what they will do with a product. Of course all the news (bad) that has been made with the lack of a update now is probably influencing this confirmation in Forbes.
The fact that they are talking about this shows how bad they messed this thign up. With 100 billion in the bank I expect to see a leader not this weak little company being reactive instead of proactive.
Jst0rm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:59 PM   #19
steveOooo
macrumors 6502

Repeat

'unnamed source'

So the cleaner could of said ' yeh there mac pros coming out mate in, er 2013 yh 2013, now where'd my $5 mr. Reporter guy?'
steveOooo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:03 PM   #20
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohen777 View Post
Please. Can you tell me the name of the Apple rep that "confirmed" this ?
Peace is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:11 PM   #21
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Probably everyone with a Mac Pro or wants a Mac Pro will upgrade on that day in 2013. But here is the problem. Apple will see the Mac Pro sales almost go to zero in the meantime. They will then justify that since nobody is buying Mac Pros but they are buying tons of the new Macbook Pro laptops for $3,000 a pop that the professional market has moved on to laptops. Then they will kill the Mac Pro for lack of interest just like the 17 inch MBP.
BornAgainMac is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:27 PM   #22
24Frames
macrumors regular

The 17-inch MBP is a different matter to the Mac Pro. it is partly about brand and status, like a Ferrari. The Apple stores in London devote a lot of space to them. Quite a few top DJs and Film Makers use them. Having a 1080p studio in a laptop is also very useful. They don't need to sell these in large volume, the same applies to the new Retina models, it is all about image. Note the price points of the Retina MBPs are around the level the 17-inch MBP was at, its wouldn't make sense to sell both at this time.

I suspect that Apple will release a 17-inch Retina MBP in due course, intriguingly the NVidia GT 650m in the current 15-inch Retina MBPs supports the required resolution. For now the 15-inch Retina MBP mak

The Mac Pro is different, a tool for doing very heavy lifting.

But what are Apple playing at, have they learnt nothing from FCP X?
Power users are going to have gone to Dell and HP long before Apple get to market with new Mac Pros.
59% of Apple's revenue come from a single product. Not many people seem to realise it, but this is incredibly risky. Don't believe me? Look at Nokia, RIM, Motorola...
24Frames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:30 PM   #23
DarthMoops
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkshdk View Post
YES!
http://www.mobilemasterscommunity.co.../12/cbrown.jpg
DarthMoops is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:08 PM   #24
TableSyrup
macrumors 6502

Wait tho....

The world ends on December 21, 2012.....

So......
TableSyrup is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:23 PM   #25
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Frames View Post
I suspect that Apple will release a 17-inch Retina MBP in due course, intriguingly the NVidia GT 650m in the current 15-inch Retina MBPs supports the required resolution. For now the 15-inch Retina MBP mak
I really doubt they will, it would have been all too easy for Apple to skip a Retina 17 inch and just slap a new processor in it, but they didn't. The 17 inch is gone and unfortunately there isn't anything we can do with it.
InuNacho is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro