Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradyjamesnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
hi..! ok quick question....

i have a power mac i purchased probably in 2008....i'm currently running Snow Leopard OS......

anway, somebody sent me a Data DVD with a bunch of WAV files on it ( i can see that the DVD has been burnt by the ridges on the bottom) but when i put it in the Mac its not reading it.....it says the DVD has "zero" items on it....

i think it must be some kind of compatiblity disconnect.....

if anyone has any help or direction on how i can read/open this data DVD, i thank you in advance!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
A PowerMac that you're installing Snow Leopard onto? You may want to double check that.

Can the machine read other DVDs?

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
A PowerMac that you're installing Snow Leopard onto? You may want to double check that.

Exactly.

Click the Apple symbol at the top left of your computer, then click about this Mac. Then you will see something like this (I'm on a friends computer ATM lol). What numbers are next to version?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 4.12.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 4.12.07 PM.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 83

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Snow Leopard, 10.6, is Intell only and cannot run on a PowerMac, as PowerMacs are PPC only.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
Snow Leopard, 10.6, is Intell only and cannot run on a PowerMac, as PowerMacs are PPC only.

And consequently, the final release of OS X for PPC was 10.5.8. So either the OP is confused between the cat names of OS X, or he actually does not have a PowerMac but a Mac Pro? His post does say purchased in 2008... G5's were discontinued in 2006. So, unless he purchased his machine aftermarket, he probably got an Intel.

bradyjamesnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
thank you all for replying i appreciate it.....!

to answer your question.....the version i'm running is 10.6.6

i'm defintely able to play DVD's on there......

again, it was a Data DVD (seemingly burned successfully by the looks of the bottom of the DVD) but when i pop it in my mac, it doesn't read it....

i click the DVD icon in the finder, and it says ZERO items on the dvd.....

so any thoughts as to what may be the problem? do i need to update my OS?

thanks in advance!!!!

----------

also...! i just popped it into my brothers computer.....(he has a PC....loser...lol) but it works...! so i know its not the Data DVD, it was burnt sucsessfully.....

thank you all for replying i appreciate it.....!

to answer your question.....the version i'm running is 10.6.6

i'm defintely able to play DVD's on there......

again, it was a Data DVD (seemingly burned successfully by the looks of the bottom of the DVD) but when i pop it in my mac, it doesn't read it....

i click the DVD icon in the finder, and it says ZERO items on the dvd.....

so any thoughts as to what may be the problem? do i need to update my OS?

thanks in advance!!!!

----------

And consequently, the final release of OS X for PPC was 10.5.8. So either the OP is confused between the cat names of OS X, or he actually does not have a PowerMac but a Mac Pro? His post does say purchased in 2008... G5's were discontinued in 2006. So, unless he purchased his machine aftermarket, he probably got an Intel.

yes alex it is a mac pro.....my bad....!!!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My last idea is that it is an audio DVD. That's why it shows up as a bunch of WAV files on Windows. iTunes should be able to play that, but it appears it cannot. On the Windows computer, what does iTunes do with it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.