Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

View Poll Results: Will you buy a smart cover if Smart case is available?
Yes.. still prefers smart cover 67 43.23%
Will buy smart case for sure 63 40.65%
Neither of them... 25 16.13%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:06 PM   #1
KennySmith
macrumors member

Smart Cover VS Smart Case

Will you buy the smart cover if the smart case is available???
KennySmith is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:29 PM   #2
xraytech
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennySmith View Post
Will you buy the smart cover if the smart case is available???
Available???

You can go to the Apple Stor and buy a Smart Case now.
xraytech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:55 PM   #3
appleguy123
macrumors 603

I have both. I'll keep the one I like the best and sell the other.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
NeuralControl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
I have both. I'll keep the one I like the best and sell the other.
Are you leaning towards one or the other at this point?
NeuralControl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:52 PM   #5
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralControl View Post
Are you leaning towards one or the other at this point?
I just bought the smart case. I'll get it in a few days. I'll quote you and let you know when I get it though. I realized that my post implied that I had it in my hands, sorry about that.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:27 AM   #6
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

It doesn't look very durable in the few shots of it I have seen. If it is made from a material similar to the smart cover, I expect to see it start wearing out in a couple of months.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Nhwhazup
macrumors 6502a

I would have bought this Smart case if I han't already shopped through over 15 cases in the last few months. I like everything about the new case but just can't justify buying another when I have 4 perfectly great cases at home now.
Nhwhazup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:57 AM   #8
glen e
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
It doesn't look very durable in the few shots of it I have seen. If it is made from a material similar to the smart cover, I expect to see it start wearing out in a couple of months.

I have smartcovers over a year and a half old, no wear...

Still like detaching the cover sometimes....
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:51 AM   #9
b3thomso
macrumors member

Im think im gonna stick with the smart cover and speck smartshell. The magnet on the back is a deal breaker for me since i use it in the airplane and dont need to the smart cover dangling around. Its more annoying than you think....
b3thomso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:09 AM   #10
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Not enough protection for someone like me. I'm clumsy

HiddenPuppy
HiddenPuppy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:18 PM   #11
oneapplegeek
Banned

I would buy a smart cover since many third party cases are released to be compatible with smart cover. but, I was disappointed at the Smart case.
oneapplegeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:16 PM   #12
appleguy123
macrumors 603

My smart case just came in. I'm going to keep it for a week to make a thorough review, but I really hate this case. It's mushy on every side, and incredibly awkward to hold.

The viewing stand position is incredibly wobbly, and the typing position is much lower and more uncomfortable.

The smartcover is a much, much better than the smart case. My back never really got scratched anyway.

If you want scratch protection, get a smart cover and a sleeve. I couldn't reccomemd this case to anyone.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:49 PM   #13
i0Nic
macrumors 65816

I bought the Smart Case and it's terrible.

The iPad 1 case, with all it's faults, at least felt like it was a part of the iPad with a tight fit.

The Smart Case is loose, the bezel design makes the screen look comically small, the material doesn't feel good when held in hand, the seams on the edges cut into your hand, and the cover implementation suffers due to the weak hinge.

I wanted to like this case because I love the smart cover but wanted some back protection, but this is not the case I was looking for.

I will keep using the smart cover instead, I'd rather the back get scratched up a little than cover it in this case.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:05 PM   #14
jacob-07
macrumors regular

The smart case looks like a really cheap product.
jacob-07 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:10 AM   #15
KennySmith
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob-07 View Post
The smart case looks like a really cheap product.
No matter what.. as long as there is an Apple logo on it.. it sells
KennySmith is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:36 AM   #16
courboy
macrumors member

I have a smart cover and because my Griffin snap shield literally "snapped", I decided this would be a great balance.

Purchased the dark grey one from the Regent Street store in London (why no leather ones?!) and at first glance, I was very pleased. However, after getting it home, I realised that the fit is VERY lose.

This is to the point where I can see the edge of the iPad around up to the border of the case. Is this the norm? I'm contemplating replacing it and hoping that the next one is a better fit, but I fear this might be a common theme.

So close to my perfect case apart from those faults. I happily admit i'm a bit of an Apple Fan and have never been unhappy with any of their products except for this one.

I'm now looking at the Kavaj Leather case, which looks a bargain and apparently the quality is good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/KAVAJ-leathe...9348098&sr=1-1
courboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:40 AM   #17
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3thomso View Post
Im think im gonna stick with the smart cover and speck smartshell. The magnet on the back is a deal breaker for me since i use it in the airplane and dont need to the smart cover dangling around. Its more annoying than you think....
I initially thought that too, but I've figured out a pretty decent solution: you know those flip out PTVs (or the ones that come out of the armrest)? Just rest the smart cover cover the top of it. Works surprisingly well and the magnet is just strong enough to keep the iPad from falling off. Don't tug on it though.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:40 AM   #18
JonMPLS
macrumors 65816

I know it's more expensive, but I still fall back on the Smart Cover/Smart Feather combination as my favorite day to day case. I like the mounting system of the Incipio Smart Feather better than the new Smart Cover.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:33 PM   #19
Atomant669
macrumors member

Thumbs up

I don't like anything 'smart'. I don't see why the need for a cover that is meant to protect the screen folds out exposing the insides to dirt and elements and scratches the screen when closed shut. JMHO of course.

I stick to my Belkin Cinema Folio.
Atomant669 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:34 PM   #20
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomant669 View Post
I don't like anything 'smart'. I don't see why the need for a cover that is meant to protect the screen folds out exposing the insides to dirt and elements and scratches the screen when closed shut. JMHO of course.

I stick to my Belkin Cinema Folio.
Get a screen protetor for a buck on eBay and you can still enjoy the style, wake-sleep, and stand functionality of the Smart Cover or Smart Case. Problem solved.
myrtlebee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:37 PM   #21
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by courboy View Post
Purchased the dark grey one from the Regent Street store in London (why no leather ones?!) and at first glance, I was very pleased. However, after getting it home, I realised that the fit is VERY lose. This is to the point where I can see the edge of the iPad around up to the border of the case. Is this the norm? I'm contemplating replacing it and hoping that the next one is a better fit, but I fear this might be a common theme.
They're all like that.
Seamaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:09 PM   #22
ngenerator
macrumors 68000

Where are the Smart Case reviews on store.apple.com? Suspiciously absent...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:25 PM   #23
-TYLER
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by courboy View Post
I have a smart cover and because my Griffin snap shield literally "snapped", I decided this would be a great balance.

Purchased the dark grey one from the Regent Street store in London (why no leather ones?!) and at first glance, I was very pleased. However, after getting it home, I realised that the fit is VERY lose.

This is to the point where I can see the edge of the iPad around up to the border of the case. Is this the norm? I'm contemplating replacing it and hoping that the next one is a better fit, but I fear this might be a common theme.

So close to my perfect case apart from those faults. I happily admit i'm a bit of an Apple Fan and have never been unhappy with any of their products except for this one.

I'm now looking at the Kavaj Leather case, which looks a bargain and apparently the quality is good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/KAVAJ-leathe...9348098&sr=1-1
The only thing with that case is that is looks like it will wobble or bounce when you have it in the typing position and type.

Check out the casecrown omni carbon fiber case, I love mine.
-TYLER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:34 PM   #24
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

If apple made the case out of the same quality and material of the cover, the price would be in the 80-100$ range, not many people wanna pay that.
Redjericho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:43 PM   #25
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjericho View Post
If apple made the case out of the same quality and material of the cover, the price would be in the 80-100$ range, not many people wanna pay that.
Do you have this case? The ergonomics are inexcusable, if apple couldn't make a piece of polyurethane that works well for under $80, it should have been made. This is the first time that I've been totally disappointed with an Apple product.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories