Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:49 PM   #26
Flitzy

I honestly liked it - I was able to follow a number of artists who posted a number of interesting things... I can understand that it's not for everyone, though.

I wouldn't mind Last.fm integration, though!
Flitzy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:57 PM   #27
sazivad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastings101 View Post
R.I.P. Ping, you will be greatly missed by the ten or so people that used you.
Upon the announcement of the discontinuation of Google Buzz
sazivad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:03 PM   #28
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

I was one of the tens that used Google Buzz
Hastings101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:12 PM   #29
darklyt
macrumors regular

Apple doesn't really need to build something that calls itself a social network. The new photo stream features plus iMessage, Facetime, and Game center put Apple right into the realm of social networking - all without an open declaration. I think that Facebook and Twitter may actually have to worry the most about Apple in the long-term if these things continue to mature.
darklyt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:18 PM   #30
moderngamenewb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky29 View Post
Maybe they should do something like Spotify, when you're listening to a song it shows up in the sidebar ticker thing...then people could click it to preview the song and maybe buy it.

And when you buy an album it shows up on your timeline etc.
I was thinking that too.
moderngamenewb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:50 PM   #31
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

What a useless future that never got updated and now they finally decide to remove it, thank goodness one less pointless thing on iTunes.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:53 PM   #32
RVdave
macrumors member

Today Ping....tomorrow the Mac Pro!
RVdave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:56 PM   #33
Discoverer
macrumors regular

Anyone remember iReview?
Discoverer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:00 PM   #34
Zaqfalcon
macrumors regular

I thought Ping was a nice idea when it was supposed to be integrated with Facebook:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/02/...ng-for-itunes/.

I liked the idea of 'Pinging' what I was currently listening to onto my wall and reminiscing about times gone by. Aaaaah. Pointless in isolation though.
Zaqfalcon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:11 PM   #35
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastings101 View Post
R.I.P. Ping, you will be greatly missed by the ten or so people that used you.
Love your sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
God I would love it if they removed everything except basic mp3 playback and a library.

iTunes is bloatware, its packed with so much crap that so many people have no use for. I myself dont own an iPod or an iPhone or an iPad nor do I use the music store. I never use the video capabilities because VLC is far superior. RAM and CPU usage gets pretty bad especially if you have a 200+ gb library (mine is 315gb). It boggles the mind as to why iTunes even has such a name when iMedia is far more fitting.

For now, I'll continue using Vox and Enqueue Both apps are much smaller with Vox using no more than 15mb of RAM.
So since you don't, others don't neither?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:37 PM   #36
moethebartender
macrumors newbie

I just checked out Ping for the first time in forever, and I noticed that almost every update was syndicated from Twitter. The last update directly through Ping was almost two months old, and it was about a re-release on iTunes. If I want to see an artist's Twitter feed, I can use ... well, Twitter!

Ping wasn't a bad idea, but it didn't catch on. Every company, even Apple, has initiatives that don't catch on. I figure it's because Ping doesn't do anything you can't already do with other social networks, and does a lot less (i.e. all you can do is follow music artists). And people will only keep up with so-and-so many social networks. especially when so few other people use them. Goodbye, Ping. We hardly knew ye.
moethebartender is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:43 PM   #37
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
Love your sig

So since you don't, others don't neither?
Did you miss the part where I clearly stated so many and not all?
wikus is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:01 PM   #38
CindyRed
macrumors member

Nooooo. Ping! What about all the... Oh wait, never mind. You can go.
CindyRed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:06 PM   #39
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirshnoc View Post
What I did like about this is that different artists created pages so you could follow them and see when they released new stuff. But, I think you can already do that on straight iTunes?
Nope that was all part of Ping. It was part of why they wanted to do it, to hopefully generate more sales.

Ping could be useful of they were to put some effort into it. And open it up for more than the big name folks. But if they aren't willing to put in some effort then yes they should stop pretending.

More than doing anything with Ping they need to seriously work on their metadata. Especially the artist links. major names are missing from the movies so they don't show in searches, You don't see cross references to other media like tv shows, music etc. Sometimes you don't even see them in all the movies they are in even when they are listed because the names aren't entered the same way every time. They need a name authority like libraries have for consistency and they need the data in all formats as appropriate. Also they need to have the ability to filter searches by artist, title etc so when I search for "Alice" looking for the Syfy miniseries I don't get every movie and tv show/episode with Alice in the title and every listed actress etc with Alice in her name, Alice in Chains etc. Partner up with IMDB or something.

And then fix the cross references so I don't get stuff like the soundtrack to Avatar the movie showing up on the pages for the Avatar the Last Airbender tv show (as its soundtrack)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklyt View Post
Apple doesn't really need to build something that calls itself a social network. The new photo stream features plus iMessage, Facetime, and Game center put Apple right into the realm of social networking - all without an open declaration. I think that Facebook and Twitter may actually have to worry the most about Apple in the long-term if these things continue to mature.
Actually there are some folks that would love it if you could create your own homepage online (say with your iCloud account) that would have your game center stats, ping comments/itunes reviews, your Journals and when it happens your public streams all in one big home page. Perhaps even widgets for showing your Facebook/Twitter updates.

Not a network but still social.
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 PM   #40
Doctor Q
Administrator

Kudos to Apple for knowing when to quit.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:29 PM   #41
scottsjack
macrumors 68000

My suggestion is throw away Ping and add FLAC!
scottsjack is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:44 PM   #42
bedifferent

HA almost poetic in timing
bedifferent is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:49 PM   #43
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Spotify FTW
Good program. Not enough Pink Floyd. C
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:56 PM   #44
Soy Cowboy
macrumors newbie

It seems that some of the things Apple comes up with are just so they have something to announce. Like this and the iPod shuffle with no buttons.
Soy Cowboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:58 PM   #45
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

It took them a year and a half to do this?
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:13 AM   #46
powers74
macrumors 68000

RIP

Could have been great.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Actually there are some folks that would love it if you could create your own homepage online (say with your iCloud account) that would have your game center stats, ping comments/itunes reviews, your Journals and when it happens your public streams all in one big home page. Perhaps even widgets for showing your Facebook/Twitter updates.

Not a network but still social.
and build all that **** into iWeb.
powers74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:44 AM   #47
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

I would have been into it if it included movies, so you could follow certain actors, producers, directors, key grips, etc., and find info on upcoming projects, etc.
Undecided is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:47 AM   #48
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

I wanted to like it. I would have used it more but no one else was using it. There weren't many artists. Bob Dylan (or his PR guy) posted about once and gave up.

It's a fascinating demonstration on how difficult it can be for a social network to gain traction. iTunes is huge - a total monster. Ping should have succeeded by critical mass alone. And yet it fizzled.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:03 AM   #49
chairguru22
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
lol.........iTunes.

Seriously. I haven't launched iTunes since... October of last year. And that was only to speed up migrating from my 3GS to my 4S.

Spotify FTW

For me to resume using iTunes... I don't know what Apple would have to do to make me go back.
Of note, you haven't used your 4S since last year either...
chairguru22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:27 AM   #50
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

I also tried it, didn't really like it..
Yamcha is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion