Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I love to do photoshop + final cut pro, I edit photos and make videos, I'm always on the Internet with my YouTube, Facebook etc. I like to watch some movies on computer, love to have all my iPhone data on the computer an also put every photo I take in iPhoto. I am also in school so i would be doing some school work. I want the air mostly because it looks nice and its very portable. The pro has a very nice Hard drive but i dont know if i want all that space; I was looking at the MacBook air 13" models. Maybe the 1119$ one because it has twice as much gb as the 11" model but I won't go less than 13". I want to know if 128gb is enough for What I want to do because I don't want to wind up buying a eternal drive for 300$ when I could've bought the 1,500 13" MacBook with 256gb. But I rather not spend that kind of money. I was also looking at the standard model of the MacBook pro, can you please tell me which one is the best for me.

cshel24

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
I debated back and forth for a long time...leaned towards the Air, on the day they came out I bought the Pro. My reason is pretty much this the Mac is my main computer, and I do not travel much so I do not need ultra-portability...the Pro seems like more bang for the buck.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
For heavy applications like Photoshop or FCP I would definitely recommend the Macbook Pro

I'm mainly going towards the air because of the look and design. I feel the pro will get outdated but I also want it to last a couple years

----------

I debated back and forth for a long time...leaned towards the Air, on the day they came out I bought the Pro. My reason is pretty much this the Mac is my main computer, and I do not travel much so I do not need ultra-portability...the Pro seems like more bang for the buck.
I mean I want the air because of the amazing design. But I want it to last a couple of years.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
Photoshop is just fine on the Macbook Air.

For FCP, video editing/rendering, I'd recommend the Pro. However, I don't do much of this...but this is based on the research I've done.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Things like photoshop, FCP, etc. are only resource intensive if you work with big files. If you're working with big files (and/or higher bit depths in the case of photoshop), the only notebooks that give a truly smooth experience are the quad models loaded with ram. For light stuff, photoshop can run on practically anything assuming you don't require its openGL functions which I'm kind of expecting to be mandatory within the next 1-2 versions. I don't know FCP that well, but if you're getting terrible lag, it may always be the issue of scratch disks + spotlight.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
Things like photoshop, FCP, etc. are only resource intensive if you work with big files. If you're working with big files (and/or higher bit depths in the case of photoshop), the only notebooks that give a truly smooth experience are the quad models loaded with ram. For light stuff, photoshop can run on practically anything assuming you don't require its openGL functions which I'm kind of expecting to be mandatory within the next 1-2 versions. I don't know FCP that well, but if you're getting terrible lag, it may always be the issue of scratch disks + spotlight.

+1.

I didn't think about working with HUGE files in photoshop (50 mb and up). Never tried that on my air so I can't speak to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.