Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Hi everybody,

I would like to know if it is possible to send audio through AirPlay to multiple speakers (AirPlay enabled or connected via an AirPort Express) from Mountain Lion.

I'm aware that it is possible to stream to multiple speakers through iTunes already. I think it is not possible to select multiple audio outputs in the audio preferences pane at the same time. So maybe one can create a new virtual audio device with multiple outputs using the Audio-MIDI-Setup?

I know that the Airfoil app enables all the features mentioned above - but my question is whether Mountain Lion can do it out of the box?

Thank you very much
Florian

Last edited:

cosmos503

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
Hi everybody,

I would like to know if it is possible to send audio through AirPlay to multiple speakers (AirPlay enabled or connected via an AirPort Express) from Mountain Lion.

I'm aware that it is possible to stream to multiple speakers through iTunes already. I think it is not possible to select multiple audio outputs in the audio preferences pane at the same time. So maybe one can create a new virtual audio device with multiple outputs using the Audio-MIDI-Setup?

I know that the Airfoil app enables all the features mentioned above - but my question is whether Mountain Lion can do it out of the box?

Thank you very much
Florian

I am very keenly interested to know the answer to this question as well. I sure hope system audio from OS X Mountain Lion can be output to multiple speakers simultaneously, just like iTunes.

Hoping that someone with a beta copy is willing to test this and let us know.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
I only have one device to test with, but I am going to say no unless the interface changes when more then one AirPort/AppleTV are detected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.