Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:43 AM   #1
matticusk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Thunderbolt -> Ethernet Adapter

Hi all,

Anyone purchased the new Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter got it to work under Windows 7? I have the Thunderbolt update installed under Lion and the adapter works there fine, computer is the 2011 MBA.

EDIT: I should add that it comes up as an 'Ethernet Controller' in Device Manager and no drivers found.

Last edited by matticusk; Jun 13, 2012 at 02:51 AM. Reason: More info added
matticusk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:11 PM   #2
bcc9
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Yes, I got it to work under windows.
It doesn't just work out of the box, but you can go to Broadcom's web page and download the driver.

Google "broadcom driver windows netxtreme"
Select the nextreme I Desktop/Mobile driver
Install via device manager (select location where you unzipped driver)
Note, the PCI ID for this device 14e4:1682 is not listed in Broadcom's web page list of supported IDs. However the driver's .inf does include the requisite matching for the new device ID.
bcc9 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:40 PM   #3
ilkevinli
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Thanks a lot for posting this !


Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc9 View Post
Yes, I got it to work under windows.
It doesn't just work out of the box, but you can go to Broadcom's web page and download the driver.

Google "broadcom driver windows netxtreme"
Select the nextreme I Desktop/Mobile driver
Install via device manager (select location where you unzipped driver)
Note, the PCI ID for this device 14e4:1682 is not listed in Broadcom's web page list of supported IDs. However the driver's .inf does include the requisite matching for the new device ID.
ilkevinli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:11 PM   #4
bcc9
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Thanks. It's amazing that apple released this product with no plug-and-play drivers or instructions on how to install the drivers. apple's product page for this has a FAQ claiming that it doesn't work under bootcamp! I guess how to install the broadcom driver will be our little secret.

To top it off, the OSX driver release is a fiasco too. (driver update pulled, yet to be replaced, and crashing non-thunderbolt systems), Shame on apple.
bcc9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:50 AM   #5
drsox
macrumors 65816
 
drsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Xhystos
This is a great posting ! Works fine for me. Now I can get over 100MBps from my MBA 13in 2011.

Last edited by drsox; Jun 17, 2012 at 04:14 AM.
drsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Maattiio
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Did anyone manage to grab a copy of the Thudnerbolt 1.2 update while it was still up? My new adapter is pretty useless without it.

I'm going travelling in 2 days and need ethernet on my 2011 MBA. I can't believe Apple is continuing to sell an accessory that currently has no support - surely with its resources it can code a patch within 24 hours, not weeks...
Maattiio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:40 PM   #7
matticusk
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc9 View Post
Yes, I got it to work under windows.
It doesn't just work out of the box, but you can go to Broadcom's web page and download the driver.
Thanks! This works great.
matticusk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:38 AM   #8
drsox
macrumors 65816
 
drsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Xhystos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maattiio View Post
Did anyone manage to grab a copy of the Thudnerbolt 1.2 update while it was still up? My new adapter is pretty useless without it.

I'm going travelling in 2 days and need ethernet on my 2011 MBA. I can't believe Apple is continuing to sell an accessory that currently has no support - surely with its resources it can code a patch within 24 hours, not weeks...
Suggest you post in the Peripherals section, more likely to get an answer.
drsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:14 PM   #9
bcc9
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maattiio View Post
Did anyone manage to grab a copy of the Thudnerbolt 1.2 update while it was still up? My new adapter is pretty useless without it.
I grabbed a copy of the dmg from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1544 before it was pulled. It's outrageous that apple has left this pulled without any recourse for thunderbolt users.
I think it's not OK with apple's licenses to publicly redistribute, but I could probably help via PM.
All the DMG does is install a new version of /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext
bcc9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Maattiio
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc9 View Post
I grabbed a copy of the dmg from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1544 before it was pulled. It's outrageous that apple has left this pulled without any recourse for thunderbolt users.
I think it's not OK with apple's licenses to publicly redistribute, but I could probably help via PM.
All the DMG does is install a new version of /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext
I'm not sure how to PM on here - but that would be a great help bcc9!
I leave for Europe tomorrow, I'd appreciate your help asap
Maattiio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:58 PM   #11
bcc9
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I would recommend backing up your /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext kext or at least the broadcom kext plugin directory mentioned above, to some local directory. Then if you have any crashing problems you can restore the directory from single user mode to recover.

Edit: New version (1.2.1) up at apple's web page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1544

The .pkg contains the identical .kext, so I believe the change is just to prevent the install on non-thunderbolt machines.

Last edited by bcc9; Jun 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: New version up at apple's web page
bcc9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Maattiio
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Got it! Thanks so much - you saved me another trip to the Apple store to get the USB version.
Maattiio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:09 PM   #13
bcc9
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maattiio View Post
Got it! Thanks so much - you saved me another trip to the Apple store to get the USB version.
Great.
Nobody should buy Apple's USB->fast ethernet dongle, there are USB->gigabit ethernet dongles that perform better and are at least as cheap. The usb->gige dongle I used until now would get me about 300Mbps (bandwidth was limited by the USB2 port). For reference, I get just under 900Mbps with the new thunderbolt dongle.
bcc9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:38 PM   #14
ViennaAustria
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc9 View Post
Yes, I got it to work under windows.
It doesn't just work out of the box, but you can go to Broadcom's web page and download the driver.
Did somebody maybe have a VIB file for VMware ESXi too?

The latest Broadcom driver net-tg3-3.120h.v50.2-1OEM.500.0.0.472560.x86_64.vib works with every Mac including MacMini [Server], but not with the new Thunderbolt GbE. I managed to look into it's ID map and found that 14e4:1682 is missing. Probably one just need to add it. But I have not enough knowledge to rebuild the VIB file with the PCI ID added.
ViennaAustria is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter in Windows 7 SVTmaniac Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 3 Nov 15, 2013 05:50 PM
Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet Adapter xcfmx MacBook Pro 3 Jun 20, 2012 02:40 PM
Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter houkouonchi MacBook Pro 1 Jun 15, 2012 01:00 AM
Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter! KylePowers MacBook Air 4 Jun 14, 2012 06:36 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC