Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
According to some news sources new Retina Macbooks are no more manufactured by long-term Apple OEM partner Quanta Comp., but transfered to Foxconn - http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/346491/20120529/macbook-pro-2012-release-foxconn.htm. Ironically, last time in 2009, when Apple manufactured Macbooks on Foxconn factories they transfered it to Quanta because of quality issues. So, what should we expect from new Retina Macbooks made by Foxconn?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So, what should we expect from new Retina Macbooks made by Foxconn?

Quality as good as the iPhone 4S and The New iPad.

It kind of makes sense. The way they talked about the panel being made along with the way the inside looked reminded me of an iPad. Man I can't wait until these machines merge into one big, beautiful iPad Pro. Just a few more years to go.

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Quality as good as the iPhone 4S and The New iPad.

This is exactly what i'm afraid of. Bought the New iPad on Day One with terrible yellow tint on top left part of display, exchanged it two times always getting different issues (pink blobs, scratches on aluminium), gave up and got a refund.

OK, it was just $800 gadget... Some chances to repeat the story with $2000+ professional notebook?

P.S. Could you, please, check the serial number of your Retina Macbook here - http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html and place the result here? Just to be sure, i'm not doing my terrible mistake with Foxconn product again?

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
This is exactly what i'm afraid of. Bought the New iPad on Day One with terrible yellow tint on top left part of display, exchanged it two times always getting different issues (pink blobs, scratches on aluminium), gave up and got a refund.

OK, it was just $800 gadget... Some chances to repeat the story with $2000+ professional notebook?

Foxconn did not make your iPad's display therefore your fears are baseless. They don't make any displays. The assemble the different components from the likes of LG, Sharp, Samsung and others into the final product.

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Foxconn did not make your iPad's display therefore your fears are baseless. They don't make any displays. The assemble the different components from the likes of LG, Sharp, Samsung and others into the final product.

But Foxconn workers put hairs and some dust under iPad glass (possibly when trying to scratch aluminium case) ;).

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011

And who is making the MBP's retina display? Same company that makes it for the iPad? Maybe their fears aren't so 'baseless' after all.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

P.S. Could you, please, check the serial number of your Retina Macbook here - http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html and place the result here? Just to be sure, i'm not doing my terrible mistake with Foxconn product again?

I've had the yellow tint before. If you wait a few days it should go away. It's supposedly the glue still drying or something since they ship them out so quickly straight from the factory. I've had several iPhones like that. Don't know about the rest but if the problem was widespread you'd think more people would be complaining and it would be all over everywhere since anything Apple causes hysteria in the masses—especially if it has to do with that stupid factory.

Can't check the serial number because I'm still waiting for mine to be shipped. Most people seem pretty satisfied with the screens on theirs so far though. The main problem seems to be lag in scaling modes—which concerns me more.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
And who is making the MBP's retina display? Same company that makes it for the iPad? Maybe their fears aren't so 'baseless' after all.

The fears are specifically about Foxconn. That's what I was responding to. The MBP panel might be made by Sharp.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
But Foxconn workers put hairs and some dust under iPad glass (possibly when trying to scratch aluminium case) ;).
Totally different assembly lines/techniques, and likely different factories completely.

Correlate your worries with posts from MBP owners that had units arriving with scratches and dust/hair issue.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I've had the yellow tint before. If you wait a few days it should go away. It's supposedly the glue still drying or something since they ship them out so quickly straight from the factory. I've had several iPhones like that. Don't know about the rest but if the problem was widespread you'd think more people would be complaining and it would be all over everywhere since anything Apple causes hysteria in the masses—especially if it has to do with that stupid factory..

The glue thing was a very specific problem with the iPhone. The new iPad is taped and not glued. If you have yellow spots on an iPad they are permanent.

Yellow bands or splotches are common on the MacBook Pros, iMacs, and Apple Thunderbolt Displays manufactured in the last couple years. The effect is subtle so most people don't notice it. It's likely backlight or backlight diffuser related.

----------

The fears are specifically about Foxconn. That's what I was responding to. The MBP panel might be made by Sharp.

If the panels are Sharp IGZO, and it turns out they're all really good, this bodes well for the future of Apple displays, which have gone through a serious dark period in recent years.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
If the panels are Sharp IGZO, and it turns out they're all really good, this bodes well for the future of Apple displays, which have gone through a serious dark period in recent years.

That's what I am expecting they are since I've not heard of anybody else making such panels.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Well, just what was expected - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1385532/ . If worker can forget it inside of Retina Macbook box, sure he can do some other things wrong. Just shows the level of accuracy for average Foxconn worker. OK, wanna wait a bit more to see the complete picture later.

Seriously? You're going into this assuming that there's going to be a problem with it. Mistakes happen, whether you purchase from Apple or any other manufacturer. I almost hope you don't end up buying one...I'm pretty sure that if you do, you'll be back here complaining about it in no time, whether there's actually anything wrong with it or not. Save us all the hassle and just don't get it.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Well, just what was expected - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1385532/ . If worker can forget it inside of Retina Macbook box, sure he can do some other things wrong. Just shows the level of accuracy for average Foxconn worker. OK, wanna wait a bit more to see the complete picture later.

If you have a problem with the computer you receive, then return it or take it in for a repair. If there is no problem with the computer you receive, then good. It's really that simple- why nitpick about which factory it was made in?

Every factory has a few bad nuts, there's no way of knowing if yours will be good or bad till you get it, regardless of which factory it was assembled in.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
That's what I am expecting they are since I've not heard of anybody else making such panels.

First photo of the screen posted on the main page is not looking so awesome. And of course, nobody else sees anything wrong with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.