Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christeeezy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
Hey guys,

Being that I've grown happy and comfortable with my MBP, I've stopped following all the latest Mac news for awhile. But today, I saw a commercial showing off the new MBP with the Retina display and thinner Air-like body, and thought to myself that I need to have it :p.

So as such, I've created an ad on craigslist for my current machine. I'm hoping you guys could offer some feedback on whether my asking price is fair, all things considered. Before I post the link, I'd like to state that I'm in no way trying to advertise here on MacRumors; I actually have no desire to ship my computer so I'm only looking for local buyers. But anyway, please take a look and tell me what you think.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/wan/3074590460.html

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I'm sure your customized MBP is worth every cent of your asking price ... but I'd be amazed if you're really able to get more than 80% of your original purchase money back on year-old tech.

By comparison, I have a early 2011 2.0GHz i7 15" MBP that is absolutely stock and without wear of any kind, since I've had it docked to a TBD for the past year. I intend to list it for less than half your asking price, and I'm sure it will sell quickly. I'm willing to accept 60% of what I paid in order to have a hassle-free transaction and thus avoid the legions of "tire kickers" we have here.

Would you mind posting here to let us know how you do with yours?

Last edited:

christeeezy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I do expect to have a lot of tire kickers. But so far, I haven't had even one email regarding the laptop. Like I said in the ad though, I'm willing to wait as long as I have to; the new RMBP's aren't going anywhere and my current machine works flawlessly anyway.

And sure, I'll keep this thread updated as progress (or a lack thereof) happens.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I would say you are way too high. I don't even think 2000 is a good deal.

Refurb mbp: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0M18LL/A
$1679 for same process, highres screen and same graphics card.

+8GB memory (~$50)
+SSD (~$120 for 128GB - often less though)
+ Data doubler ($65), even cheaper if you go the alternative route ($20)

All that adds up to be around $2000 + tax.

However, I think it's always best to start high and see what the demand is. The worst thing you can do is start to low. You're in a unique market with your laptop. Those that really know there computers are going to look at it and realize it's too much when they compare the specs and everything else. Those that don't have much of a clue are going to look at it and say to themselves, I can get a MBP retina for less than that. But then there is always that small chance that someone will buy it that doesn't have a clue about anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.