Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:42 PM   #76
applebro24
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by akac View Post
Austin is 3D. I think too many of you are looking at only large/medium size cities. I bet there is a lot more than you know, that aren't big cities.
Good find. Keep posting if you find more. Apple has a campus in Austin I believe...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1528[1].PNG
Views:	107
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	348533  
__________________
Computer, Phone, Pad, TV
applebro24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:00 PM   #77
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
I bet each 3D City is dedicated to an Apple employee.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad mini 16GB TV 3
8a22a is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:31 PM   #78
Reason077
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
You'd think London would be a candidate given the large number of US tourists who will be here for the Olympics this year.

I wonder how they choose? Obviously not based on size or importance (no New York, London, or Tokyo, for example).
These 3D models are generated by flying specially equipped aircraft (not sure if they're using helicopters or fixed wing aircraft?) in specific patterns over the cities being models.

With London, at least, the airspace over the central city is strictly controlled. It's generally off-limits to private flights. Commercial carriers require permits and must fly in special pre-defined routes/lanes. No doubt, similar restrictions apply to other major cities like New York and Tokyo.

While I'm sure Apple can get special permission to fly their mapping patterns, its probably quite arduous to do so. I can imagine starting with "easier" and less restrictive cities while they're still working the kinks out, and will move on to places like London once they're sure they've got the technology mastered.
Reason077 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:36 PM   #79
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
These 3D models are generated by flying specially equipped aircraft (not sure if they're using helicopters or fixed wing aircraft?) in specific patterns over the cities being models.

With London, at least, the airspace over the central city is strictly controlled. It's generally off-limits to private flights. Commercial carriers require permits and must fly in special pre-defined routes/lanes. No doubt, similar restrictions apply to other major cities like New York and Tokyo.

While I'm sure Apple can get special permission to fly their mapping patterns, its probably quite arduous to do so. I can imagine starting with "easier" and less restrictive cities while they're still working the kinks out, and will move on to places like London once they're sure they've got the technology mastered.
London already exists in 3D though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaahK...e_gdata_player
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad mini 16GB TV 3
8a22a is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:24 PM   #80
hot spare
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
You didn't expect "Apple maps" to come out and blow Google out of the water from launch, did you?
That's what everyone said.
hot spare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:30 PM   #81
BSben
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
You'd think London would be a candidate given the large number of US tourists who will be here for the Olympics this year.

I wonder how they choose? Obviously not based on size or importance (no New York, London, or Tokyo, for example).
As it comes out in autumn when the Olympics are long forgotten, I think this might not be an issue.
BSben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:43 PM   #82
HouD
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Could someone post a screenshot of what Montreal looks like in 3D? McGill University campus might be interesting.

I lucked out on my city being included.
HouD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:58 PM   #83
applebro24
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouD View Post
Could someone post a screenshot of what Montreal looks like in 3D? McGill University campus might be interesting.

I lucked out on my city being included.
One of the city and the university. The lack of clarity may be a result of my weak connection and the size of the city.

I've been virtually touring the cities for an hour now and my 4S gets very hot. I'm charging and on 3G so that may be why...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1529[1].PNG
Views:	90
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	348558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530[1].PNG
Views:	80
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	348559  
__________________
Computer, Phone, Pad, TV
applebro24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:07 PM   #84
jomirrivera
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouD View Post
Could someone post a screenshot of what Montreal looks like in 3D? McGill University campus might be interesting.

I lucked out on my city being included.


From my ipad!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	348561  
jomirrivera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:14 PM   #85
Sundar83
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
How about for India?
Sundar83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:23 PM   #86
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040
 
Mad Mac Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebro24 View Post
Negative, I looked at the 50 biggest US cities and only found the three above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akac View Post
Austin is 3D. I think too many of you are looking at only large/medium size cities. I bet there is a lot more than you know, that aren't big cities.
From Wikipedia
Quote:
Austin is the thirteenth most populous city in the United States of America and the fourth most populous city in the state of Texas. It was the third-fastest-growing large city in the nation from 2000 to 2006.[6] Austin has a population of 820,611 (2011 U.S. Census).[7] The city is the cultural and economic center of the Austin–Round Rock–San Marcos metropolitan area, which had an estimated population 1,783,519 (2011 U.S. Census),[8] making it the 34th-largest metropolitan statistical area in the United States and the fourth-largest in Texas.
Hmmmm....
__________________
Now I have a Signature!
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:26 PM   #87
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Wow, it looks so bad when you're zoomed out like near that McGill University. It looks like a really bad version of Sims and GTA..
__________________
MacBook Air 2013 13'
White iPad 3rd GEN 16GB
Black iPhone 4 16GB
Nevzorus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:26 PM   #88
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundar83 View Post
How about for India?
Doesn't look like it.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad mini 16GB TV 3
8a22a is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:48 PM   #89
applebro24
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
From Wikipedia


Hmmmm....
GAAHH I know I feel stupid for missing that one. I was hoping no one would notice. I have searched many cities, but the list of new 3D cities is small.
__________________
Computer, Phone, Pad, TV
applebro24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:55 PM   #90
austinguy23
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Looks like they're just focusing on the most scenic large cities, not just the largest cities. Houston or Dallas would have been nice =/
austinguy23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:41 AM   #91
shandyman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newbury, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
You'd think London would be a candidate given the large number of US tourists who will be here for the Olympics this year.

I wonder how they choose? Obviously not based on size or importance (no New York, London, or Tokyo, for example).
When Apple bought C3 a couple of years back, they had over 100 cities mapped in 3D, including London. There's even a demo of London in 3D on YouTube. Apple just haven't activated them all yet, for whatever reason. Am sure these and more will be enabled on launch.
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:34 AM   #92
Sh4wN
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevzorus View Post
Wow, it looks so bad when you're zoomed out like near that McGill University. It looks like a really bad version of Sims and GTA..
It wasn't completely loaded when the screenshot was taken, it seems. On my 4S I see much more detail at that zoom level.
Sh4wN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:25 AM   #93
Sith Vol
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Collierville, TN
Memphis
Sith Vol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:31 AM   #94
reyhero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
Hmm, I wonder if Google's going to release a standalone Google Maps app for iOS w/ all of the features like it is on Android.

And I wonder if Apple's going to block it from app store
It's quite funny really to see these 2 companies fight things out. In the end we're only getting the good stuff out of it anyway so I'd say YES to competition! xD
reyhero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:33 AM   #95
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Vol View Post
Memphis
Yes, well spotted.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad mini 16GB TV 3
8a22a is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:12 AM   #96
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Updated list in Alphabetical Order

Australia
Melbourne
Sydney

Canada
Montreal

Denmark
Copenhagen

US
Alhambra
Austin
Chicago
Cupertino
Denver
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Memphis
Miami
Mountain View
New Orleans
Oakland
Phoenix
Sacramento
San Diego
San Francisco
San Gabriel
San Jose
San Marino
Santa Monica
Seattle
South Pasadena
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad mini 16GB TV 3

Last edited by 8a22a; Jul 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
8a22a is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:22 AM   #97
donrsd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
the 3d maps are outstanding.
i only can see the pics you guys have posted, but how beautiful.

any chance apple will implement a 'street view' ala google maps in the future?
__________________
PSN: DonVCorleone
The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat

Quote Me So I Am Notified
donrsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:22 AM   #98
Morrus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
When Apple bought C3 a couple of years back, they had over 100 cities mapped in 3D, including London. There's even a demo of London in 3D on YouTube. Apple just haven't activated them all yet, for whatever reason. Am sure these and more will be enabled on launch.
Yes, I know.
Morrus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:58 AM   #99
shandyman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newbury, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrsd View Post
any chance apple will implement a 'street view' ala google maps in the future?
C3 were developing their own street view prior to apple buying them, so possible. Question is, is it likely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
Yes, I know.
So if you know, why ask about London?! :S
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:01 PM   #100
HCO
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Memphis,Tenneessee
I get 3d maps in Memphis tenneessee
HCO is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why are only the basic cities in 3D? sauder iOS 6 25 Mar 18, 2013 10:34 AM
Complete list of 3D cities wws iOS 6 53 Nov 19, 2012 05:44 AM
List of Flyover Cities drumpat01 iOS 6 3 Oct 10, 2012 05:14 PM
What cities will DC-HSPA be rolled out to? The Game 161 iPhone 0 Oct 4, 2012 06:24 AM
List of cities that are in 3D? JuicyJones iOS 6 2 Jun 17, 2012 09:00 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC