The FedEx forum looks awesome!
Sith Vol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:32 PM   #102
Morrus
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
So if you know, why ask about London?! :S
What question are you imagining I asked? It's certainly not the one you answered.

My question was related to the decision-making process behind which cities Apple chose to preview in the beta phase.
Morrus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:46 PM   #103
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
What question are you imagining I asked? It's certainly not the one you answered.

My question was related to the decision-making process behind which cities Apple chose to preview in the beta phase.
Apologies, I read your question as to why London isn't 3D at all, not just in the beta. In fairness you hadn't made it clear you were aware it was in 3D, so you could have been a bit clearer.
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:58 PM   #104
8a22a
macrumors 6502a

Phoenix is in 3D, I don't think that been mentioned before.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:14 PM   #105
applebro24
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8a22a View Post
Phoenix is in 3D, I don't think that been mentioned before.
This may be new in the last two days. I checked Phoenix on Monday and it wasn't 3D. Constant updating as opposed to new cities with with new betas...?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:34 PM   #106
Brazuca
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebro24 View Post
This may be new in the last two days. I checked Phoenix on Monday and it wasn't 3D. Constant updating as opposed to new cities with with new betas...?
Makes sense. It's a server-side option. Maybe they are slowly ramping up to test the load on servers
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:05 PM   #107
URFloorMatt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazuca View Post
Makes sense. It's a server-side option. Maybe they are slowly ramping up to test the load on servers
And this presumably explains why there are currently no major cities for the Northeastern U.S. yet.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:18 AM   #108
numble
macrumors newbie

Alhambra, California
San Gabriel, California
South Pasadena, California
Parts of Pasadena, California

Actually, a lot of the suburbs east of Los Angeles....

Last edited by numble; Jul 19, 2012 at 02:24 AM.
numble is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:32 AM   #109
8a22a
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by numble View Post
Alhambra, California
San Gabriel, California
South Pasadena, California
Parts of Pasadena, California

Actually, a lot of the suburbs east of Los Angeles....
and San Marino
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:48 AM   #110
8a22a
macrumors 6502a

I think we'll be listing 3D in States rather than Cities soon. It'll start spreading like a virus soon.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:02 AM   #111
Funkmasta
macrumors member

Yeah the 3d is server side because I was on beta 2 yesterday and the "updated" cities were indeed in 3d before I installed beta 3 last night.
Funkmasta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:27 AM   #112
Evgenyy
macrumors regular

Have a look at http://maps.nokia.com/3D for the list of cities that were already made available to Nokia by C3. At least those cities will be included when iOS 6 goes final.
Evgenyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:34 AM   #113
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
You didn't expect "Apple maps" to come out and blow Google out of the water from launch, did you?
I get the feeling that Apple are spending a lot of time and effort on fancy 3D features but forgetting about some of the basics.

While the 3D cities look cool, and are great for showing off the capabilities of the iPad and iPhone, having high quality 2D maps would make more of a difference to peoples lives on a daily basis.

As it currently stands: slow loading times, garish colours, missing non-road features, oversized and inconsistent point-of-interest buttons that often highlight unimportant locations while more significant things are missing, street name labels that are missing until you zoom in uncomfortably close, and poor quality satellite images all make Apple Maps a pretty disappointing experience for me.

These things may seem small in isolation, but they add up to a product that is significantly poorer than that of using the old Maps. Some of these issues will no doubt be addressed as iOS 6 gets closer to release, but its hard to imagine that Apple can fully catch up to the quality of Google's maps in that time frame.

It's pretty clear that the product is being rushed out for financial/strategic reasons (I'm sure it's expensive for Apple to keep using Google Maps), not because its a better solution for users!
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:34 AM   #114
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Hollywood Sign is in 3D

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:32 AM   #115
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Hollywood Sign is in 3D
Not much else behind it is, though. :/

Still, thanks for the notice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	348843  
iBreatheApple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:37 AM   #116
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
poor quality satellite images all make Apple Maps a pretty disappointing experience for me.
This has already been covered in the beta 1 release notes and over this forum. Apple said that high res satellite images are not included in the beta, so this is not an issues........
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:11 AM   #117
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

How do you find 3D feature useful?
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:08 AM   #118
8a22a
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I get the feeling that Apple are spending a lot of time and effort on fancy 3D features but forgetting about some of the basics.

While the 3D cities look cool, and are great for showing off the capabilities of the iPad and iPhone, having high quality 2D maps would make more of a difference to peoples lives on a daily basis.

As it currently stands: slow loading times, garish colours, missing non-road features, oversized and inconsistent point-of-interest buttons that often highlight unimportant locations while more significant things are missing, street name labels that are missing until you zoom in uncomfortably close, and poor quality satellite images all make Apple Maps a pretty disappointing experience for me.

These things may seem small in isolation, but they add up to a product that is significantly poorer than that of using the old Maps. Some of these issues will no doubt be addressed as iOS 6 gets closer to release, but its hard to imagine that Apple can fully catch up to the quality of Google's maps in that time frame.

It's pretty clear that the product is being rushed out for financial/strategic reasons (I'm sure it's expensive for Apple to keep using Google Maps), not because its a better solution for users!

The fact that Apple Maps is vector based makes it superior in Quality to Google Maps and we've already seen it's very easy to make Worldwide changes to labelling etc.
8a22a is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:16 AM   #119
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
The fact that Apple Maps is vector based makes it superior in Quality to Google Maps and we've already seen it's very easy to make Worldwide changes to labelling etc.
Exactly. There's been many changes already since beta 1. The high res satellite images already covered. The loading times are most likely down to being in beta. Some people here are just closed minded a naysayers I think.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:35 AM   #120
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yes, don't get me wrong. Vector is definitely the way forward for mapping in the future. But Apple's effort is not yet comparable in quality to Google Maps, either in terms of the quality of the source data or the quality of how it is displayed.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:42 AM   #121
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
How do you find 3D feature useful?
is that a rhetorical question?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:54 AM   #122
Sh4wN
macrumors regular

Quote:

It. Is. Beta.

B.
E.
T.
A.

Over the last 2 beta versions there were large changes to the app. Just wait for the final release before you judge.
Sh4wN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:06 AM   #123
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

I'm looking forward to Rome being done. I love Rome.

Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:17 AM   #124
Crzyrio
macrumors 6502a

Could you guys check Toronto / Mississauga .

Thanks

Sorry if I missed an earlier post about it
Crzyrio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:22 AM   #125
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Could you guys check Toronto / Mississauga .

Thanks

Sorry if I missed an earlier post about it
just satellite images at the moment.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6