Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:24 PM   #101
Sith Vol
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCO View Post
I get 3d maps in Memphis tenneessee
The FedEx forum looks awesome!
Sith Vol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:32 PM   #102
Morrus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
So if you know, why ask about London?! :S
What question are you imagining I asked? It's certainly not the one you answered.

My question was related to the decision-making process behind which cities Apple chose to preview in the beta phase.
Morrus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:46 PM   #103
shandyman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newbury, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
What question are you imagining I asked? It's certainly not the one you answered.

My question was related to the decision-making process behind which cities Apple chose to preview in the beta phase.
Apologies, I read your question as to why London isn't 3D at all, not just in the beta. In fairness you hadn't made it clear you were aware it was in 3D, so you could have been a bit clearer.
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:58 PM   #104
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Phoenix is in 3D, I don't think that been mentioned before.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad mini 16GB TV 3
8a22a is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:14 PM   #105
applebro24
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8a22a View Post
Phoenix is in 3D, I don't think that been mentioned before.
This may be new in the last two days. I checked Phoenix on Monday and it wasn't 3D. Constant updating as opposed to new cities with with new betas...?
__________________
Computer, Phone, Pad, TV
applebro24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:34 PM   #106
Brazuca
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebro24 View Post
This may be new in the last two days. I checked Phoenix on Monday and it wasn't 3D. Constant updating as opposed to new cities with with new betas...?
Makes sense. It's a server-side option. Maybe they are slowly ramping up to test the load on servers
__________________
Brazuca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:05 PM   #107
URFloorMatt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazuca View Post
Makes sense. It's a server-side option. Maybe they are slowly ramping up to test the load on servers
And this presumably explains why there are currently no major cities for the Northeastern U.S. yet.
__________________
iPhone 5 64 GB (VZ) | MacBook Pro 15" (Retina) | Apple TV (3rd gen) | LED Cinema Display 27" | B&W MM-1
URFloorMatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:18 AM   #108
numble
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Alhambra, California
San Gabriel, California
South Pasadena, California
Parts of Pasadena, California

Actually, a lot of the suburbs east of Los Angeles....

Last edited by numble; Jul 19, 2012 at 02:24 AM.
numble is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:32 AM   #109
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by numble View Post
Alhambra, California
San Gabriel, California
South Pasadena, California
Parts of Pasadena, California

Actually, a lot of the suburbs east of Los Angeles....
and San Marino
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad mini 16GB TV 3
8a22a is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:48 AM   #110
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
I think we'll be listing 3D in States rather than Cities soon. It'll start spreading like a virus soon.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad mini 16GB TV 3
8a22a is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:02 AM   #111
Funkmasta
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Yeah the 3d is server side because I was on beta 2 yesterday and the "updated" cities were indeed in 3d before I installed beta 3 last night.
Funkmasta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:27 AM   #112
Evgenyy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Have a look at http://maps.nokia.com/3D for the list of cities that were already made available to Nokia by C3. At least those cities will be included when iOS 6 goes final.
Evgenyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:34 AM   #113
Reason077
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
You didn't expect "Apple maps" to come out and blow Google out of the water from launch, did you?
I get the feeling that Apple are spending a lot of time and effort on fancy 3D features but forgetting about some of the basics.

While the 3D cities look cool, and are great for showing off the capabilities of the iPad and iPhone, having high quality 2D maps would make more of a difference to peoples lives on a daily basis.

As it currently stands: slow loading times, garish colours, missing non-road features, oversized and inconsistent point-of-interest buttons that often highlight unimportant locations while more significant things are missing, street name labels that are missing until you zoom in uncomfortably close, and poor quality satellite images all make Apple Maps a pretty disappointing experience for me.

These things may seem small in isolation, but they add up to a product that is significantly poorer than that of using the old Maps. Some of these issues will no doubt be addressed as iOS 6 gets closer to release, but its hard to imagine that Apple can fully catch up to the quality of Google's maps in that time frame.

It's pretty clear that the product is being rushed out for financial/strategic reasons (I'm sure it's expensive for Apple to keep using Google Maps), not because its a better solution for users!
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:34 AM   #114
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Hollywood Sign is in 3D
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:32 AM   #115
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020
 
iBreatheApple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Hollywood Sign is in 3D
Not much else behind it is, though. :/

Still, thanks for the notice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	348843  
iBreatheApple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:37 AM   #116
shandyman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newbury, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
poor quality satellite images all make Apple Maps a pretty disappointing experience for me.
This has already been covered in the beta 1 release notes and over this forum. Apple said that high res satellite images are not included in the beta, so this is not an issues........
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:11 AM   #117
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
How do you find 3D feature useful?
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:08 AM   #118
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
I get the feeling that Apple are spending a lot of time and effort on fancy 3D features but forgetting about some of the basics.

While the 3D cities look cool, and are great for showing off the capabilities of the iPad and iPhone, having high quality 2D maps would make more of a difference to peoples lives on a daily basis.

As it currently stands: slow loading times, garish colours, missing non-road features, oversized and inconsistent point-of-interest buttons that often highlight unimportant locations while more significant things are missing, street name labels that are missing until you zoom in uncomfortably close, and poor quality satellite images all make Apple Maps a pretty disappointing experience for me.

These things may seem small in isolation, but they add up to a product that is significantly poorer than that of using the old Maps. Some of these issues will no doubt be addressed as iOS 6 gets closer to release, but its hard to imagine that Apple can fully catch up to the quality of Google's maps in that time frame.

It's pretty clear that the product is being rushed out for financial/strategic reasons (I'm sure it's expensive for Apple to keep using Google Maps), not because its a better solution for users!

The fact that Apple Maps is vector based makes it superior in Quality to Google Maps and we've already seen it's very easy to make Worldwide changes to labelling etc.
8a22a is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:16 AM   #119
shandyman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newbury, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8a22a View Post
The fact that Apple Maps is vector based makes it superior in Quality to Google Maps and we've already seen it's very easy to make Worldwide changes to labelling etc.
Exactly. There's been many changes already since beta 1. The high res satellite images already covered. The loading times are most likely down to being in beta. Some people here are just closed minded a naysayers I think.
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:35 AM   #120
Reason077
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8a22a View Post
The fact that Apple Maps is vector based makes it superior in Quality to Google Maps and we've already seen it's very easy to make Worldwide changes to labelling etc.
Yes, don't get me wrong. Vector is definitely the way forward for mapping in the future. But Apple's effort is not yet comparable in quality to Google Maps, either in terms of the quality of the source data or the quality of how it is displayed.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:42 AM   #121
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
How do you find 3D feature useful?
is that a rhetorical question?
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:54 AM   #122
Sh4wN
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
I get the feeling that Apple are spending a lot of time and effort on fancy 3D features but forgetting about some of the basics.

While the 3D cities look cool, and are great for showing off the capabilities of the iPad and iPhone, having high quality 2D maps would make more of a difference to peoples lives on a daily basis.

As it currently stands: slow loading times, garish colours, missing non-road features, oversized and inconsistent point-of-interest buttons that often highlight unimportant locations while more significant things are missing, street name labels that are missing until you zoom in uncomfortably close, and poor quality satellite images all make Apple Maps a pretty disappointing experience for me.

These things may seem small in isolation, but they add up to a product that is significantly poorer than that of using the old Maps. Some of these issues will no doubt be addressed as iOS 6 gets closer to release, but its hard to imagine that Apple can fully catch up to the quality of Google's maps in that time frame.

It's pretty clear that the product is being rushed out for financial/strategic reasons (I'm sure it's expensive for Apple to keep using Google Maps), not because its a better solution for users!
It. Is. Beta.

B.
E.
T.
A.

Over the last 2 beta versions there were large changes to the app. Just wait for the final release before you judge.
Sh4wN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:06 AM   #123
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
I'm looking forward to Rome being done. I love Rome.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:17 AM   #124
Crzyrio
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Could you guys check Toronto / Mississauga .

Thanks

Sorry if I missed an earlier post about it
Crzyrio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:22 AM   #125
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Could you guys check Toronto / Mississauga .

Thanks

Sorry if I missed an earlier post about it
just satellite images at the moment.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why are only the basic cities in 3D? sauder iOS 6 25 Mar 18, 2013 11:34 AM
Complete list of 3D cities wws iOS 6 53 Nov 19, 2012 06:44 AM
List of Flyover Cities drumpat01 iOS 6 3 Oct 10, 2012 06:14 PM
What cities will DC-HSPA be rolled out to? The Game 161 iPhone 0 Oct 4, 2012 07:24 AM
List of cities that are in 3D? JuicyJones iOS 6 2 Jun 17, 2012 10:00 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC