Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triplexpac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
I bought a refurb 2011 27" iMac about two weeks ago. Yesterday a curtain rod fell down and left a small 0.5" scratch in the bottom left hand of the screen, as well as a scuff mark.

It's not the end of the world, but since the scratch is pretty small & light, is there a way I can buff it out? Just thought I'd check before doing anything. I appreciate the help!

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
I'd say no chance.

On the other hand, I doubt a replacement screen would cost much if it bothers you. It's only a piece of glass and even at Apple prices, I wouldn't have thought it was a fortune.

triplexpac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
I assumed that Apple would charge an arm and a leg for a replacement glass, but looking around online maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I'll think about it, thanks!

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
The glass looks to be about $150 depending on what retailer you buy it from.

It's only held on by magnets, so changing the glass is pretty easy (save for keeping dust off the inside of the screen and glass when changing it).

necromorph

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
London
I bought a refurb 2011 27" iMac about two weeks ago. Yesterday a curtain rod fell down and left a small 0.5" scratch in the bottom left hand of the screen, as well as a scuff mark.

It's not the end of the world, but since the scratch is pretty small & light, is there a way I can buff it out? Just thought I'd check before doing anything. I appreciate the help!

I would phone apple up and complain that it arrived in that condition thus saving you some money. If they ask you why you have taken so long to complain just say you went on a holiday for two weeks and have only just noticed it. This greedy corporation can afford it.

;)

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
I would phone apple up and complain that it arrived in that condition thus saving you some money. If they ask you why you have taken so long to complain just say you went on a holiday for two weeks and have only just noticed it. This greedy corporation can afford it.

;)

Sneaky and dishonest. I like it.

BernardPhoto

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
Clearwater
You could get a macframe and forget the glass. They would cost less than buying glass on eBay. Here is the link: http://www.macframes.com. I mentioned these on another post. The best part is the screen won't be so reflective anymore. If you buy one, please let me know how you like it. I have to wait for a little extra spending money to buy one. Things are slow right now. Maybe I'll get some graduation money. :eek:

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
The glass looks to be about $150 depending on what retailer you buy it from.

Silly me. I should have known it was a complete and total rip-off, coming from Apple. FFS you can buy a 27" monitor for $200. Apple want $150 for the glass. Why do I put up with this, I wonder???

Last edited:

excommie

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Silly me. I should have known it was a complete and total rip-off, coming from Apple. FFS you can buy a 27" monitor for $200. Apple want $150 for the glass. Why do I put up with this, I wonder???

you can't find an IPS monitor for $150.00

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010

;)

Sneaky and dishonest. I like it.

So you think it's ok to encourage someone else to commit an illegal, immoral, and unethical act?

davys

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Lanark
So you think it's ok to encourage someone else to commit an illegal, immoral, and unethical act?

While not condoning the suggestion, charging over $150 to supply and fit a piece of glass to the monitor would also be seen as immoral and unethical by some folk.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
While not condoning the suggestion, charging over $150 to supply and fit a piece of glass to the monitor would also be seen as immoral and unethical by some folk.

Apple - current refurbs run $1419 - $1659.
Ebay - Bidding starts at $50. Buy it Now $75.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=iMac+27"+glass+panel

Glass can be replaced at around 5% or less of original cost of machine.

I agree with your point. But should it come down to let me stick it to the other guy before he sticks it to me?

davys

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Lanark
Apple - current refurbs run $1419 - $1659.
Ebay - Bidding starts at $50. Buy it Now $75.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=iMac+27"+glass+panel

Glass can be replaced at around 5% or less of original cost of machine.

I agree with your point. But should it come down to let me stick it to the other guy before he sticks it to me?

You're right 418, I could never claim the damage was there on delivery either. Even at the more realistic ebay price, having sausages for fingers and knowing that I probaly do more damage to the unit when replacing the glass, I'm afraid I'd take it up the ass and pay the apple premium to have the job done properly.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
You're right 418, I could never claim the damage was there on delivery either. Even at the more realistic ebay price, having sausages for fingers and knowing that I probaly do more damage to the unit when replacing the glass, I'm afraid I'd take it up the ass and pay the apple premium to have the job done properly.

Give yourself more credit than that. You could probably do it with the aid of YouTube, iFixit, OWC, or the folks here on MR. I read that all you really need is a set of suction cups, and a pretty sterile work area to avoid getting crap under the glass.

I too am technically challenged and felt the same way about upgrading my RAM and SSD. Just knew I would screw it up. After watching the videos on OWC, YouTube, and asking a few questions here on MR it was much easier than I thought.

mcpix

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2005
Changing the glass is super simple. I would find a seller you trust on ebay and swap it out yourself.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Actually, I saw it as a bit of humour. Serious much?

The OP was seeking serious advice on a problem with his 2 week old iMac. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he posted in search of humorous quips. When you drop that kind of cash on something new it's no fun having in damaged, if only slightly, so soon.

I guess we all find humor in different things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.