Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
EotCB.gif
6hWW5.gif

QakNA.jpg
tlsYE.jpg

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Apparently you don't understand what a beta is. If you are a real developer you would surely understand that its not perfect yet.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
But now it's official!

But seriously, yeah, Beta.

If this was the final version, you would have every right to be disappointed

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
BETA!

Of course that only explains 3 out of the 4 images. Top right image will probably be what we get at launch.

I'm not so sure. There's an awfully long way to go between this beta and Google maps. I can't see them doing this by the fall.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I will say, I am a huge fan of Google's cartography. It will be hard to adjust.

I am also excited to see what Google bring to the table regarding a stand alone app. I hope it's like the Android version

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I'm not so sure. There's an awfully long way to go between this beta and Google maps. I can't see them doing this by the fall.

I will agree their map tiles need updating with new satellite imagery. Comparing my home in the US and UK to google's imagery, Apple's is a let down. Getting that imagery shouldn't be too much of a problem with Apple's cash pile.

With regards to their mapping, I mean, we will see. We have no idea how old their vectors are on their beta... They could have a version running in house that's much more complete. All speculation at this point

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
They should really ban some people from using BETA software...they should start with the OP.

You act like Apple can't update the maps before GM is released. :rolleyes:

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Beta doesn't even begin to describe these maps. If they're going to launch in the Autumn (and we're almost at midsummer now) then they should be data complete. All digitisation (cartography) rendered in final form, and all imagery uploaded.

Beta should be about checking the stability of the front end app and the performance of the back end infrastructure.

The quality of cartography is poor, with side roads coming into the centre line of the main road.

If most of the world is like my pic (the top left example in the OP's post), then there is years of work to do before the maps are at an acceptable standard. I work in the Geographic Information Systems field and would be ashamed at the poor standard of digitising and complete lack of cartographic understanding that Apple are showing.

It's shambolic.

you're not sure if Apple can label the oceans in the correct location? And I have seen clear pictures of Apple's satelite view, so that blurriness is clearly some sort of a bug or slow load time, or something else which is fixable.

The actual cartography will be similar if not exactly the same at launch

omgwut

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
I think the quality of the cartography is very poor, too. The colors remind me of the color themes that came with my old TomTom GPS device, patches of ugly lime green and pale yellow, etc. Those and some of the icons, and even the street vectors in general just look rather shoddy to me.

For a developer that does so well with the aesthetics and general presentation of its products, I expected more from Apple than whats in their new Maps app.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I think the quality of the cartography is very poor, too. The colors remind me of the color themes that came with my old TomTom GPS device, patches of ugly lime green and pale yellow, etc. Those and some of the icons, and even the street vectors in general just look rather shoddy to me.

For a developer that does so well with the aesthetics and general presentation of its products, I expected more from Apple than whats in their new Maps app.

I agree. I think all pre-release software should be the same as final release software.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
[sarcasm] How dare Apple (or any company) release non production ready betas. Shame on them. [/sarcasm]

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
You'd think Apple would give a Map app that functioned... Yes it will have it's bugs but has it stands now it is completely unusable. Didn't they try it out before releasing beta or is it initially not working.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I would think the map data itself would be complete in the Beta since they are using outside sources like TOM TOM. I have a 4 lane 10 mile long road close to my house that is about 2 years old that just isn't there at all in the Apple map. I don't have a TOM TOM but I assume it is on their maps already. Maybe they just got old maps for the Beta. Hopefully.

Anyone else notice newer roads missing?

malevolant

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Boston, MA
Turn by turn used this morning. I have no gripes... putting my GPS in a drawer and getting a mount for my phone.

PS: people will never be happy with any technology anyone puts out.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
It took years for Google Maps to reach their current level of accuracy, information and usefulness.

Apple doesn't have super-powers. Their offering will require a few years to get up to speed as well.

Google's HUGE advantage is that they've been doing cloud and search services for years and years. A lot of the data on Google maps is data that Google can mine from its own servers, databases and caches.

This is an area where Apple is just outgunned and it will take them more than a little while to completely catch up.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
It took years for Google Maps to reach their current level of accuracy, information and usefulness.

Apple doesn't have super-powers. Their offering will require a few years to get up to speed as well.

Google's HUGE advantage is that they've been doing cloud and search services for years and years. A lot of the data on Google maps is data that Google can mine from its own servers, databases and caches.

This is an area where Apple is just outgunned and it will take them more than a little while to completely catch up.

100 billion in cash is close to super powers though, right? lol

naltst*

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
I've had a bit of a play out and about today...

iOS6 Maps is not a replacement for iOS5 Maps
iOS6 Maps is a pretty good replacement for my TomTom app

Hopefully when Google maps hits the app store that will be an iOS5 Maps replacement/improvement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.