Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Late 2006 MBP model, 15.2", 3GB Ram, upgraded HDD to 320GB.

Every year, almost exactly every year (one time to the week), I had to replace the battery on my MBP.

I know because I wrote the date on the battery each time.
(unboxed computer in Jan 1, 2007, also wrote down).

Just saying.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Apple switched to lithium polymer batteries a couple of years ago that should last 5 years, so if you buy a new mac you shouldn't have this problem :)

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012

Every year, almost exactly every year (one time to the week), I had to replace the battery on my MBP.

Just saying.

That means either your laptop was defective (causing batteries to fail prematurely), you didn't care for the battery correctly, or the battery didn't actually need replacing (i.e. did you try resetting SMC and all that first?)

Last year I thought my 3-year old Macbook Pro battery was dead, it would not charge and the status indicator said "replace now."

After removing the battery and resetting SMC I was able to get it charging again-- and after 2-3 full cycles it was operating back up to 80% original capacity, which is good for a 3-year old battery. The point is that if you leave it plugged in constantly, that can cause problems. LiPo batteries need a full discharge/recharge at least once a month.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
They have improved the batteries significantly since 2006. They used to go about 300 cycles if I recall before getting pretty worn out. Starting with the new generation of batteries in about 2009 they bumped that up to 1000 cycles, and that was three years ago.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Also, early macbooks (and possibly macbook pros) had a firmware defect that caused the batteries to deep-discharge even when the machines were not powered on. If you discharge a lithium battery below 6.0V per cell, it will have a severely shortened lifespan if not completely ruined.

There was a firmware update to address that.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

Just saying.

Just saying, your 2006 MBP used older battery tech that was good for 300 cycles before hitting 70% of its original capacity. All of Apple's products since, like, 2009 have had new battery technology that's good for over 1000 cycles to 70% duty.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
That means either your laptop was defective (causing batteries to fail prematurely), you didn't care for the battery correctly, or the battery didn't actually need replacing (i.e. did you try resetting SMC and all that first?)

Last year I thought my 3-year old Macbook Pro battery was dead, it would not charge and the status indicator said "replace now."

After removing the battery and resetting SMC I was able to get it charging again-- and after 2-3 full cycles it was operating back up to 80% original capacity, which is good for a 3-year old battery. The point is that if you leave it plugged in constantly, that can cause problems. LiPo batteries need a full discharge/recharge at least once a month.

Apple Genius checked out my machine each time (did reset)
Everything fine.

Changed my use habits to fully cycle my MBP, some improvement.

Maybe it was something bad that was not discovered.

Realize the LiPoly improve life, but still earning its track record.

BTW, still have my PB 520c (w/PPC) and Pismo PB, both work and use from time to time. No main battery of course, and no worry about them leaking.

----------

Also, early macbooks (and possibly macbook pros) had a firmware defect that caused the batteries to deep-discharge even when the machines were not powered on. If you discharge a lithium battery below 6.0V per cell, it will have a severely shortened lifespan if not completely ruined.

There was a firmware update to address that.

Never let it off power long enough to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.