Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HCR93

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
I'm interested in using the new AirPort Express in my home theatre as an extender and to connect non-wireless components. I used to use an AirPort Extreme here, but my Time Capsule burned out (damn ticking time-bomb that thing) and I had to move it as the master router. Currently I'm using an older Express, but jumping the ethernet when I want to use different boxes.

So my question: the older express could configure the ethernet as a WAN or LAN port, but the new express has 2 ports, 1 WAN and 1 LAN. Can the WAN be configured (as the old one could) as a LAN to save me buying another Extreme? If anyone has one of these and could test this out it would be a huge help thanks! Couldn't find a sure answer anywhere...

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I'm interested in using the new AirPort Express in my home theatre as an extender and to connect non-wireless components. I used to use an AirPort Extreme here, but my Time Capsule burned out (damn ticking time-bomb that thing) and I had to move it as the master router. Currently I'm using an older Express, but jumping the ethernet when I want to use different boxes.

So my question: the older express could configure the ethernet as a WAN or LAN port, but the new express has 2 ports, 1 WAN and 1 LAN. Can the WAN be configured (as the old one could) as a LAN to save me buying another Extreme? If anyone has one of these and could test this out it would be a huge help thanks! Couldn't find a sure answer anywhere...

Do you need all those ports at the old TC's location? Otherwise, leave the extreme where it is and replace the TC with the AE.

HCR93

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
Don't know about the configuration part but i do know that you can use a ethernet switch which will give you more ports. :)

But if was you id just get the extreme. :rolleyes:

A switch would be an option I guess, thanks. Would I need to be careful to choose a switch rather than a router so not to get double-NAT, or would I be able to turn NAT off on the router? I guess a switch should be cheaper but another Extreme would be neatest really... ;)

Do you need all those ports at the old TC's location? Otherwise, leave the extreme where it is and replace the TC with the AE.

Yeah, unfortunately so since it's hosting a disk and multiple ethernets. Would it not also be a problem having the weaker output (assuming the Extreme has better antennas than the Express) as the hub? Genuinely interested whether that would cause a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm still quite keen to find this out, but feel a bit bad buying one and returning it, if it came to that :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.